Jurors ignoring J's Instruxn Not to Use SocMed During Trial

al66pine

Reaction score
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —
A 24-year-old Florida man faces contempt of court charges for posting comments on Facebook while serving as a juror....

But, Smith said, Sutton’s comments went well beyond whining. “In addition to expressing general disdain about jury service, he made very specific comments about the case itself,” said Smith, who ultimately won $3,929 for a woman who was injured in a 2010 car crash. “The comments made it clear that he couldn’t be and never was fair and impartial.”
It appears the comments weren’t the only reason Cox treated Sutton harshly. In his order, Cox said that when questioned under oath about whether he had posted comments about the trial on Facebook, Sutton lied. By then, Cox was holding printouts of what the juror had written.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/national/juror-removed-in-handcuffs-faces-contempt-ov/ngB3f/

the link describes several cases w. jurors doing the same, despite Judge's instructions NOT to post about the case or being on the jury DURING the TRIAL.

What is wrong w. people?

ETA:
Like tlcya said in post 2, if you do anything, post about it.
Oh, yeah, then lie about it................ denying posting it.

al66pine asked: What is wrong w. people?

we can't take a dump anymore without feeling the need to share it immediately on FB?

people like this irritate me to no end. I would LOVE to be on a jury, civil or criminal. But I have never been called for the cattle call let alone made the cut.

I suspect even if called I would not make the cut because I am in the legal field, know and have worked for many of the local attorneys and several of the judges.

I liken jury service as similar to otehr forms of service like LE, military, voting etc. It is your civic duty, it is a privilege many other societies are denied. To be a part of your own countries government, its justice system, that is a privilege so when people treat it like a PITA and don't take it seriously when they are chosen to serve that very important role it sort of pizzes me off.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —
A 24-year-old Florida man faces contempt of court charges for posting comments on Facebook while serving as a juror....

But, Smith said, Sutton’s comments went well beyond whining. “In addition to expressing general disdain about jury service, he made very specific comments about the case itself,” said Smith, who ultimately won $3,929 for a woman who was injured in a 2010 car crash. “The comments made it clear that he couldn’t be and never was fair and impartial.”
It appears the comments weren’t the only reason Cox treated Sutton harshly. In his order, Cox said that when questioned under oath about whether he had posted comments about the trial on Facebook, Sutton lied. By then, Cox was holding printouts of what the juror had written.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/national/juror-removed-in-handcuffs-faces-contempt-ov/ngB3f/

the link describes several cases w. jurors doing the same, despite Judge's instructions NOT to post about the case or being on the jury DURING the TRIAL.

What is wrong w. people?

ETA:
Like tlcya said in post 2, if you do anything, post about it.
Oh, yeah, then lie about it................ denying posting it.

I seriously was trying to figure out what SocMed was. I was thinking is was some type of database/search website like webmd.:eek:hdear:

I seriously was trying to figure out what SocMed was. I was thinking is was some type of database/search website like webmd.:eek:hdear:

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: Thanks, you made me laugh!:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

And, I, being a nurse, thought it was a medication! And that interested me! The correct meaning also interested me.

people like this irritate me to no end. I would LOVE to be on a jury, civil or criminal. But I have never been called for the cattle call let alone made the cut.

I suspect even if called I would not make the cut because I am in the legal field, know and have worked for many of the local attorneys and several of the judges.

I liken jury service as similar to otehr forms of service like LE, military, voting etc. It is your civic duty, it is a privilege many other societies are denied. To be a part of your own countries government, its justice system, that is a privilege so when people treat it like a PITA and don't take it seriously when they are chosen to serve that very important role it sort of pizzes me off.

Don't give up hope. If an attorney isn't hoping to confuse the jury as to the law, s/he probably doesn't mind legal professionals on the panel.

I've been on four juries and I have over 25 years of legal experience in NY and CA.

(And you are right: it is interesting once you get that far.)

I also post at a Broadway-related site and the complaints about people texting or filming during shows (despite the opening announcement not to do so).

A main floor ticket now costs $175-$250 dollars. And yet people can't put their cell phones away for 2 hours? (Filming is a different issue, but I at least understand the (wrongful and illegal) desire to have a film record of the show.)

I also post at a Broadway-related site and the complaints about people texting or filming during shows (despite the opening announcement not to do so).

A main floor ticket now costs $175-$250 dollars. And yet people can't put their cell phones away for 2 hours? (Filming is a different issue, but I at least understand the (wrongful and illegal) desire to have a film record of the show.)

Not to sidetrack the thread but I get mad when people take photos at museums,this is unheard of in other countries but commom here in the US.I have not been to a concert in awhile but I bet it is a lot of people holding up their phones and blocking the view.

Not to sidetrack the thread but I get mad when people take photos at museums,this is unheard of in other countries but commom here in the US.I have not been to a concert in awhile but I bet it is a lot of people holding up their phones and blocking the view.

I have no doubt. It's like we can't just "experience" anything. It isn't "real" unless we have film of it. So why not just stay home and watch VH1?

At the museums here in Southern California, taking photos of artwork (especially with a flash) will get your camera confiscated tout suite. Camera flashes actually damage the pigment on a canvas.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back