6th Baby Dies While Using Nap Nanny

I'm not blaming the parents but why would you strap a baby in that and put them in the crib? Especially an 8 month old! They're big enough to get around. Not blaming, trying to wrap my head around an 8 mo old in something that looks like a newborn seat.

And yet, I keep seeing this death trap device show up on Pinterest.....

ETA: She was trapped between the seat and CRIB BUMPERS!! (Another item linked to infant deaths)

The nap nanny was supposed to have been for floor use only. Not to be put into a crib.

That's what mother's arms are for. :(

In the incident reports received by CPSC, there were 92 reports of infants hanging or falling over the side of the products, including some infants who were restrained in the product’s harness.

http://www.napnanny.com

Why restrain a baby sleeping?No need if the baby is in a crib.

In the incident reports received by CPSC, there were 92 reports of infants hanging or falling over the side of the products, including some infants who were restrained in the product’s harness.

http://www.napnanny.com

I don't understand why this happened. It looks harmless enough. Like any seat for a very young infant. Were the children who died older infants who were more mobile that could sit up and get around? If so, then why were parents putting them in this? Most older babies I know of would throw a fit if you tried to restrain them in a seat like this. I'm really curious.

I don't understand why this happened. It looks harmless enough. Like any seat for a very young infant. Were the children who died older infants who were more mobile that could sit up and get around? If so, then why were parents putting them in this? Most older babies I know of would throw a fit if you tried to restrain them in a seat like this. I'm really curious.

Proper use for nap nanny is to put it on the floor. I think most infants died when nap nanny was put into crib. Infants then managed to get their heads stuck between the nap nanny and the crib, suffocating as a result.

Older babies move around more, and must tip themselves out of the thing. They should be recalled and banned, imo. Two of my grandkids walked at 9 mos and tried to get out of carseats at 5 months old, so some of them are more mobile earlier. It would be better to just lay them on the floor on a pallet if they're asleep and afraid of waking them.

Just as a frame of reference, my son was born a preemie with severe reflux. There was a very real danger of him refluxing in his sleep and aspirating. I had been recommended this particular item many times by fellow preemie moms and friends to help with the reflux at night. This may have been the reason some parents were using it, even with older babies. I never ended up purchasing, instead spending many sleepless nights sitting in the chair with him on my chest or with him in his travel swing next to the sofa. I feel for the mamas who've lost their children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as a frame of reference, my son was born a preemie with severe reflux. There was a very real danger of him refluxing in his sleep and aspirating. I had been recommended this particular item many times by fellow preemie moms and friends to help with the reflux at night. This may have been the reason some parents were using it, even with older babies. I never ended up purchasing, instead spending many sleepless nights sitting in the chair with him on my chest or with him in his travel swing next to the sofa. I feel for the mamas who've lost their children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel for you since my daughter has/had chronic GERD. She slept with me when she was a baby until she was 9 mo old- when we finally got her diagnosed and on Prevacid, although I worried about smothering her. My pediatrician at the time accused me of Munchasen's because she didn't witness her refluxing at 3a.m.- even with a barium swallow xray!, but I finally got a referral to a pediatric GI who believed me.

They would be better off in a car seat. Or a swing, or a pillow under the mattress at one end to make it propped up a little.

These things are dangerous and have been recalled because babies have died. Why people are still using them is beyond me.

They would be better off in a car seat. Or a swing, or a pillow under the mattress at one end to make it propped up a little.

These things are dangerous and have been recalled because babies have died. Why people are still using them is beyond me.

I wonder if they got it from someone and had no idea it had been recalled?

How devastating. These poor parents. I couldn't imagine losing imagine.

I'm thinking they had no idea these were recalled. There are a ton of things recalled for babies that I had no idea about till I want and googled some of the stuff.

I could see how parents would use this. It was a fear of mine when my son was a new born and before he could roll over that he would throw up well I was sleeping and chock. I never used anything tho the doctors said its best to swaddle and place them on their backs flat so that's what I did.

It is sad for each of these parents who have lost a baby due to this nap-nanny.

As with anything, how many of these parents were not using it correctly?

Not trying to be snarky, but one must use an item the way the manufactuer suggests. There is a reason an item is made, and following the guidelines is a good idea.

Putting a child in a walker on a second floor with no gate at the top of the steps is a good example of placing an infant who is rolling over in one of these nap- nannies in a crib!
Parents have to use a brain!

My opinion only.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member