GUILTY KS - Emma Krueger, 3, beaten to death, Wichita, 2 June 2014

hopingicanhelp

Reaction score
This beautiful little girl passed last night. Her injuries were so horrific that homicide detectives were immediately called in when she was admitted to the hospital on Monday. According to police, she had been beaten for at least a month and was in grave condition when she arrived at the hospital. Her mother and mother's boyfriend were arrested on Monday at the hospital, and it is believed they will be formally charged with murder tomorrow afternoon.

KSN

KAKE

KWCH

Wichita Eagle This site may require a subscription to view

Facebook - Prayers for Emma; Cover updated to Justice for Emma... there is also information here about a "********" page for her funeral

Horrible case of abuse! This beautiful baby looks so much like my grand...

RIP sweet Emma :rose:

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Child-abuse-investigation-at-Wichita-apartments-261651431.html
emma-2.jpg

Just so no one else gets as confused as I was, that's not the mother's facebook.

Just so no one else gets as confused as I was, that's not the mother's facebook.

Sorry about that. I accidentally ended up on that page from the abusive boyfriend's profile.

Deleted.

Some rather polar comments have been made on the news articles by people who claim to know the couple -- some swearing up and down that there is no way Emma was abused and that she simply fell off a bunk bed -- while others swear that suspected abuse was reported, photos were taken & given to the police, and nothing was done.

I only say all this because -- IMO -- there may be times that we simply cannot come to grips with the reality of abuse (How could we not see it? How could we not have recognized it?) and it's easier to be in denial because we "know these people".... on the other hand, it can feel discouraging to know we've done all we can and LE or CPS/DCF have the ball and seem to have dropped it.

Apparently, in this case, a call WAS verified -- but the caller gave the incorrect apartment number so when the police went to investigate there was nothing to be found and it was dropped.

This makes me think of another case in the last couple years in nearby Newton. Neighbors tried to report abuse to the CPS/DCF office; a caseworker was assigned and had made attempts to investigate but hadn't been able to connect with the mother to do so -- in the meantime, the child was beaten to death by mom's boyfriend. The Harvey County sheriff urged people to CALL 911 to report abuse -- the police can investigate immediately.

Well someone in this case did -- so I suppose the lesson to be learned is this: if you are concerned, do not let it go. Call everyone; tell everyone; do not be afraid to argue your case -- perhaps you gave the wrong address??? See link below:

Someone did report it but gave the wrong address

Police are now confirming here that they were called out to check on Emma on May 10 (three weeks before her death) with reports of bruising on Emma's back -- but they were given the wrong apartment number and the apartment office was closed.

Does anyone here know SOP for LE? Would it have been difficult or unlawful for them to transpose numbers and check out a couple other apartments and ask around? They stated they were looking for Monica with a daughter named Emma -- perhaps a few more doors and faces and conversations could have led to the right door?

I'm not blaming them -- I just know that if you call out 911, you're practically forced to give an address (you can't just give detailed directions for instance) and if you don't know the accurate one, then what? Should we just not call because we don't know the exact address?

If someone had called 911 to report that "SOMEWHERE" in that apt complex an attempted murder was taking place, they would have done more to track down the correct apartment.

In my opinion, calls to 911 to report abuse of a child should require more urgency and further investigation because obviously no follow up could mean a dead child.

MOO

Police are now confirming here that they were called out to check on Emma on May 10 (three weeks before her death) with reports of bruising on Emma's back -- but they were given the wrong apartment number and the apartment office was closed.

Does anyone here know SOP for LE? Would it have been difficult or unlawful for them to transpose numbers and check out a couple other apartments and ask around? They stated they were looking for Monica with a daughter named Emma -- perhaps a few more doors and faces and conversations could have led to the right door?

I'm not blaming them -- I just know that if you call out 911, you're practically forced to give an address (you can't just give detailed directions for instance) and if you don't know the accurate one, then what? Should we just not call because we don't know the exact address?

If someone had called 911 to report that "SOMEWHERE" in that apt complex an attempted murder was taking place, they would have done more to track down the correct apartment.

In my opinion, calls to 911 to report abuse of a child should require more urgency and further investigation because obviously no follow up could mean a dead child.

MOO

If the apartment office was closed what is the emergency procedure for the complex? Say there was broken water pipes or gas fumes?

Knocking on doors aside, the office did not remained closed. Were there no phone calls or attempts to contact the office during their regular hours?

I ask, because sometimes things are reported and those reporting them are thought to be overreacting, or too dramatic......

Based on what I have read, LE dropped the ball on this case. A report was made outside of the office business hours and they apparently couldn't be bothered to follow up when the office re-opened. ETA: And the chief pretty much verified my theory by requesting citizens verify their information before calling in reports. Where was his officers responsibility when following up outside of routine office hours? :furious:

So, so sad.

Sad to say that my last post was the tip of the iceberg....

Emma's aunt, Tiffany Bean (facebook name is Tiffanee), posted a comment to the paper article I linked to. She states that reports were made on THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS and photos were taken.

Tiffany has been verified as her aunt; she was with Emma in the hospital; she set up the fundraising page for funeral expenses; she is listed as Emma's aunt in the obituary; she is listed as Monica's sister in their mother's (Candy Krueger) obituary.

To clear up any confusion in advance -- the paper & other media sources I linked to yesterday referred to a report on 5/10, the Saturday before Mother's Day. Tiffany is referring to 3 reports made between 5/16 & 5/23. So it's uncertain whether she is simply tired, overwhelmed, and confused on dates OR whether the 5/10 date was in addition to 3 reports she is aware of between 5/16 and 5/23.

It doesn't really matter -- obviously a minimum of 3 reports were made and WPD clearly did NOT do "everything they could."

IMHO!!!!!!!

Link to newspaper site; scroll down to verify posted comment (copied below)

Tiffanee Bean · Wichita, Kansas
I'm Emma's aunt. The Lykins are not related to us, they were Emma's babysitters.
As far as the police go, they initially claimed they hadn't received any reports on Emma. Now that the media dug up this report on May 23, they're claiming that they did all they could. The truth is they received 3 reports from May 16 to May 23, 2 of those included pictures of bruising on Emma. So this report on May 23 was not an "isolated incident", they already had proof! They had Evans full name, did they run it to get the correct address off his license? No
Did they contact the emergency number to the apts to find the correct apt number? No
Did they even knock on another door? No
Did they turn the case over to EMCU? No
So after initially denying that such calls were made, now chief Williams says that the real responsibility falls on the adults who saw the bruising & didn't report it. But THEY DID REPORT IT! WPD
Reply · · 1 · 2 hours ago

WPD didn't follow through!
Reply · · 2 hours ago

Bumping for Emma

Preliminary hearing was scheduled for this morning but no news outlets reporting on it yet.... waiting, waiting ....

For some reason I can't edit last post (??)

Courthouse finally posted daily calendar -- both Schuessler & Krueger reflect "continued by defendant" with no mention of new date for hearing.

I'm kind of new to this searching process and unfamiliar with what this means as far as how long we can expect to wait -- anyone? TIA!

Mom & boyfriend waive prelim and are bound over for trial

Kansas.com (might require subscription to view full article) The caretakers of a 3-year-old Wichita girl who was beaten to death last month waived their rights to a preliminary hearing Tuesday and have been bound over for trial on first-degree felony murder charges.

First-degree felony murder carries a mandatory minimum prison sentence of life without parole for 20 years. The underlying crime on Schuessler’s charge is child abuse. In Krueger’s case, the underlying charge is aggravated endangering of a child.

Each remained in Sedgwick County Jail on Tuesday in lieu of $150,000 bond.

facebook : Prayers-for-Emma (title picture now shows "Justice for Emma")

More information on history of case (without a subscription) can be found at kwch.com and kake.com

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/crime/article47764370.html

A Wichita mother was sentenced Thursday to 72 months in prison in connection with the child abuse death last year of her 3-year-old daughter, Emma Krueger.

Monica Krueger, 25, pleaded guilty in October to second-degree reckless murder and obstruction of apprehension or prosecution...

Monica Krueger’s boyfriend, Schuessler, last month was ordered to serve 199 months in prison — more than attorneys requested in his plea agreement — for second-degree intentional murder and child abuse.

Sad to say that my last post was the tip of the iceberg....

Emma's aunt, Tiffany Bean (facebook name is Tiffanee), posted a comment to the paper article I linked to. She states that reports were made on THREE SEPARATE OCCASIONS and photos were taken.

Tiffany has been verified as her aunt; she was with Emma in the hospital; she set up the fundraising page for funeral expenses; she is listed as Emma's aunt in the obituary; she is listed as Monica's sister in their mother's (Candy Krueger) obituary.

To clear up any confusion in advance -- the paper & other media sources I linked to yesterday referred to a report on 5/10, the Saturday before Mother's Day. Tiffany is referring to 3 reports made between 5/16 & 5/23. So it's uncertain whether she is simply tired, overwhelmed, and confused on dates OR whether the 5/10 date was in addition to 3 reports she is aware of between 5/16 and 5/23.

It doesn't really matter -- obviously a minimum of 3 reports were made and WPD clearly did NOT do "everything they could."

IMHO!!!!!!!

Link to newspaper site; scroll down to verify posted comment (copied below)

I'm Emma's aunt. The Lykins are not related to us, they were Emma's babysitters.
As far as the police go, they initially claimed they hadn't received any reports on Emma. Now that the media dug up this report on May 23, they're claiming that they did all they could. The truth is they received 3 reports from May 16 to May 23, 2 of those included pictures of bruising on Emma. So this report on May 23 was not an "isolated incident", they already had proof! They had Evans full name, did they run it to get the correct address off his license? No
Did they contact the emergency number to the apts to find the correct apt number? No
Did they even knock on another door? No
Did they turn the case over to EMCU? No
So after initially denying that such calls were made, now chief Williams says that the real responsibility falls on the adults who saw the bruising & didn't report it. But THEY DID REPORT IT! WPD
Reply · · 1 · 2 hours ago

WPD didn't follow through!
Reply · · 2 hours ago
I just came across this page. I am Emma's aunt & yes, reports were made. WPD dropped the ball. Had they followed up they had 3 weeks to save her life. That's all water under the bridge now.
However, my sister didn't murder Em. Nor did she participate in the abuse that killed her. Unfortunately, being one of the Devils victims isn't a legal defense. She plead guilty to Reckless Murder … which means she didn't protect her. IMO, she COULDNT protect her. She couldn't even protect herself. Notice she wasn't convicted of any child abuse charges, even the judge said in her sentencing that he believed that she was also a victim in this case.
So now, my sister tragically lost her only child & has been convicted of her murder. She's never in her life been in any trouble aside from a seat belt ticket in high school & will be a registered violent offender for the rest of her life. Which is nothing compared to what she has to live with.
WPD failed. DCF failed. And our justice system failed, Emma & Monica.
R.I.P. Em 🙏
I'll spend forever clearing my sisters name.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back