CA CA - Helendale, Fem UP906, 15-22, in desert, missing toes, Sep'02

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Starting a new thread at the request of Houston Mom.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1095
http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1095.html
NamUs UP 906 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/906

No Image Available
Unidentified Female

The victim was discovered on September 5, 2002 in Helendale, San Bernardino County, California (GPS Coord: N 34º 46.238' W 117º 18.772' --- 4 mile EO Wild Rd. & 395 ft. NO dirt Rd.)

Estimated Date of Death: 2 months - 2.5 years prior to discovery
Manner of Death: Homicide
State of Remains: Partial Skeleton

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15-22 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 4'11"-5'2".
Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish-brown hair. Her race is undetermined, there appeared to be a mixture of characteristics. She had had at least one pregnancy and wore braces. The 2nd through 5th toes of her left foot appear to have been missing long before death. It is unknown if this was a congenital condition, or if she suffered some kind of injury requiring surgery.

Clothing: White blazer (cotton blend), size Large, 3-button style. Pockets each front panel lower portion. Light tan or white, faded top with shoulder pads (No clothing tag: torn or cut off). Light colored, lace "Celebrity" bra, with under wiring. Black or dark-brown boots - described as Western-style half-boots, low heel, tapered toe, above ankle. Leather with cloth panel at rim that allow stretch. Four stitched ribs across toe. The shoes are of a style reminiscent of the 1980's.

Dentals: Braces present. Dental chart and X-rays are on file with the California Department of Justice, Missing/Unidentified Persons Unit. Possible comparison with "smiling photographs" (showing teeth).
DNA: Complete - nucDNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD (refer to CODIS #BK-03-000462).

Case History

Jane Doe #13-02 was found as skeletonized/mummified remains in an open desert area of remote community west of Barstow, CA., on September 5, 2002. Death is estimated to have occurred as recently as two months prior, and as early as 2000 (2.5 years prior). She is young, probably between the ages of 15 and 22 years, with reddish-brown hair, and her stature was estimated to be between 4’ 11” and 5’ 2”. Her race is undetermined; there appeared to be a mixture of characteristics. She had had at least one pregnancy and wore braces. She was the victim of homicide. Identity may only be established with dental X-rays (on file and see attached), head X-rays, and DNA (refer to CODIS #BK-03-000462). Possible comparison with "smiling photographs" (showing teeth).

Identity may only be established with dental X-rays and DNA.

Date is way off (1994) but it could be possible that she lived on after her last seen date.

Malisa Kerr - Age 19
Missing from - Nevada
Height - 60"/61"
Hair - Brown/Auburn
Other physical features - Reference to surgical scar on left leg AND wore braces.
Race - Asian or Pacific Islander

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/15196/1/

Good find shadowdancer. An email address is located under Malisa's profile.

I never get any response when emailing. :(

If anyone else can ring up/email that would be fantastic, does anyone have a contact who could help?

Doe Network says "The shoes are of a style reminiscent of the 1980's."

So is the white blazer and shirt with shoulder pads, imo. NamUs says "Long-legging bl" - wonder if it's something to do with pants but got left off?

I'm wondering if she was there way longer than 2.5 years. Unless she was headed to an 80s party or something.

Malisa looks like a good possible, Shadowdancer! I'm wondering if her Asian/Pacific Islander ancestry is mixed with Caucasian (Kerr surname) - maybe that particular combination made it difficult to make a good guess on race for the UID.

Sure wish we could see a photo of those boots - they sound pretty distinctive!

Like annemc2, I think that bearing in mind the clothing that the UID was wearing, I really have to wonder about the timescale given.

There is a question that I have wanted to ask for a long while on here, although I am not sure if anyone will be able to answer it. But here goes - Imagine if someone kills a person and stores the body in a fridge or freezer for years before later dumping the body outside somewhere. The body is not discovered until it has become skeletonised.
Would the folks doing the post-mortem be able to tell that the body had been frozen/stored in a fridge?

Like annemc2, I think that bearing in mind the clothing that the UID was wearing, I really have to wonder about the timescale given.

There is a question that I have wanted to ask for a long while on here, although I am not sure if anyone will be able to answer it. But here goes - Imagine if someone kills a person and stores the body in a fridge or freezer for years before later dumping the body outside somewhere. The body is not discovered until it has become skeletonised.
Would the folks doing the post-mortem be able to tell that the body had been frozen/stored in a fridge?

They would be able to tell if it was found shortly after being taken out of the fridge. But probably not 1-2 years after being taken out of the fridge.

But I think it would be easier to just figure that the estimated postmortem interval was wrong, than it would be to try to rationalize that the body might have been stored in a cooler.

They would be able to tell if it was found shortly after being taken out of the fridge. But probably not 1-2 years after being taken out of the fridge.

But I think it would be easier to just figure that the estimated postmortem interval was wrong, than it would be to try to rationalize that the body might have been stored in a cooler.

I agree, as I said it is a question that has played on my mind for some time. Might be an explanation as to why a few of our UIDs have remained unidentified. After all, you do hear of people putting bodies in fridges and freezers and you have to wonder what the killers might do with the body if they have to move house or they have someone move in with them for example.

Food for thought, anyway.

I have checked back in Namus to the 80s and Malisa is still the best one I could see. There are a few with braces, but nobody else with the combination of braces, auburn hair and possible surgery that could fit. No indication of prior pregnancy though, but is that always mentioned on Namus?

Nobody has mentioned Sabrina Kahler yet.

kahler_sabrina2.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kahler_sabrina.html

She's probably not our Jane Doe. The circumstances and distance don't fit.

But she did wear braces, and she fits the age and height specs, and was LKA only a couple months prior to discovery.

The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1095

http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1095.html[FONT=&amp]

Unidentified Female
[/FONT]
  • The victim was discovered on September 5, 2002 in Helendale, San Bernardino County, California
  • Estimated Date of Death: 2 months - 2.5 years prior to discovery
  • Manner of Death: Homicide
  • State of Remains: Partial Skeleton

[FONT=&amp]Vital Statistics
[/FONT]

• [*]Estimated age: 15-22 years old
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 4'11"-5'2".
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Reddish-brown hair. Her race is undetermined, there appeared to be a mixture of characteristics. She had had at least one pregnancy and wore braces. The 2nd through 5th toes of her left foot appear to have been missing long before death. It is unknown if this was a congenital condition, or if she suffered some kind of injury requiring surgery.
  • Clothing: White blazer (cotton blend), size Large, 3-button style. Pockets each front panel lower portion. Light tan or white, faded top with shoulder pads (No clothing tag: torn or cut off). Light colored, lace "Celebrity" bra, with under wiring. Black or dark-brown boots - described as Western-style half-boots, low heel, tapered toe, above ankle. Leather with cloth panel at rim that allow stretch. Four stitched ribs across toe. The shoes are of a style reminiscent of the 1980's.
  • Dentals: Braces present. Dental chart and X-rays are on file with the California Department of Justice, Missing/Unidentified Persons Unit. Possible comparison with "smiling photographs" (showing teeth).
  • DNA: Complete - nucDNA Profile available in FBI NMPDD (refer to CODIS #BK-03-000462).

[FONT=&amp]Case History
The victim was found in the open desert area of a remote community west of Barstow, California on September 5, 2002.
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
Identity may only be established with dental X-rays and DNA.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
David Van Norman
San Bernardino County Sheriff - Coroner
909-387-2978
Email

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Agency Case Number:
02-5956 / Jane Doe #13-02

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]NCIC Number:
U-280003396

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Source Information:

Namus
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/906[/FONT]

she was wearing braces on her teeth. hmmm. and the shoulder pads sound 80's to me as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back