CANADA Canada - Mitchell's Bay, ON, BlkMale, 23-27, 1985 coin, Mar'87

airplanelamp

Reaction score
OPP are trying to ID the remains of a black male, 23-27 found at Mitchell's Bay, ON in 1987. New composite released.

http://www.theobserver.ca/2014/06/10/opp-continue-to-investigate-human-remains

The Ontario Provincial Police is continuing to investigate a case involving human remains that were found in a marsh area near Mitchell's Bay in 1987.

Skeletal remains were discovered on March 23 of that year at Lot 8, Concession 12, in Dover Township. The victim has not yet been identified.

Police said an autopsy of the remains determined that drowning was the cause of death. A craniofacial approximation has been completed and may assist in identifying this person.

Investigation indicates that the remains belong to a black male between 23 and 27 years old with a slight build.

He would have been between 5'-5’7” tall. Clothing found with the remains includes a shirt, blue jeans, size 8 “Winner” blue/grey running shoes with Velcro fasteners, and sport socks with a red and white stripe.

Anyone having information is asked to call the director of Criminal Investigation Services, OPP, at 1-888-310-1122 or 705-329-6111, their nearest police authority or Crime Stoppers.

1297570291690_ORIGINAL.jpg

I came across Joe Hill guy but he has no other pictures to compare.
(https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10633/37?current_page=physical_characteristics)

Joe Hill
Height: 5'8
Weight: 170
Last Seen September 1981
Missing in Michigan, approx 1-2 hrs away.
Car left at Charter Township (14 minutes from lake St. Clair which boarders Wallaceburg)

Not to sure but could he have floated across? I know to drive there and dump the car off it would take 2+hours, but where the car was last seen (14 minutes away from Lake St. Clair) and where the body was found could he had been dumped in the lake and drifted?

Attachments

• mitchellbay.png
    mitchellbay.png
    689.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 20
I haven't seen where they've estimated a date of death. They state skeletal remains but were able to determine drowning to be the COD - I thought the only way to do that was if the lungs were present. So I'm thinking he hadn't been dead for that that long?

(https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/10633/37?current_page=physical_characteristics)

Joe Hill
Last Seen September 1981
Car left at Charter Township (14 minutes from lake St. Clair which boarders Wallaceburg)

Not to sure but could he have floated across? I know to drive there and dump the car off it would take 2+hours, but where the car was last seen (14 minutes away from Lake St. Clair) and where the body was found could he had been dumped in the lake and drifted?

I actually do think he could be a viable prospect. It would be possible (I think) for him to have traveled across the lake.

Joe Hill
Last Seen September 1981

I see so many similarities b/w Joe and the UID. i think you should submit.

I see so many similarities b/w Joe and the UID. i think you should submit.

I did submit it, I got an email back today thanking me for the tip and that it was being processed immediately.

One important piece of information missing from the most recent article is the fact that coins were found on the body, one being a 1985 coin.

Article from March 2012 http://www.examiner.com/article/25-years-later-body-found-mitchell-s-bay-still-unidentified

"... Police were able to estimate that the man died sometime in the two years prior to the discovery of his body. Coins found on the body included one that was distributed after March of 1985, so he could have met his demise in Mitchell's Bay any time after that, up until early 1987..."

One important piece of information missing from the most recent article is the fact that coins were found on the body, one being a 1985 coin.

Article from March 2012 http://www.examiner.com/article/25-years-later-body-found-mitchell-s-bay-still-unidentified

"... Police were able to estimate that the man died sometime in the two years prior to the discovery of his body. Coins found on the body included one that was distributed after March of 1985, so he could have met his demise in Mitchell's Bay any time after that, up until early 1987..."

Well guess it isn't Joe since he went missing in 81, doubt he would pick up and go to Canada since his car was found abandoned. Amazing how one little piece of information can turn things around, wish I found that sooner so I didn't waste their time ...ooops

Well guess it isn't Joe since he went missing in 81, doubt he would pick up and go to Canada since his car was found abandoned. Amazing how one little piece of information can turn things around, wish I found that sooner so I didn't waste their time ...ooops

I'm sure they appreciate any tip, not to mention Joe's family. Hugs.
Back to it!

52UMON

52UMON1_LARGE.jpg
52UMON4_LARGE.jpg

52UMON2_LARGE.jpg
52UMON3_LARGE.jpg

52UMON.jpg

Date of Discovery: March 23, 1987
Location of Discovery: Wallaceburg, Dover Township, Ontario, Canada
Estimated Date of Death: After March 1985
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Drowning

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 17-24 years old
Race: Black
Sex: Male
Height: 5'0" to 5'7"
Weight: 160 to 185 lbs.
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He was a smoker and/or a coffee drinker. Slight build. He may have suffered from lower back pain during his lifetime.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. He had received good dental care.
Fingerprints: Unknown.
DNA: Unknown.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: A shirt (43 cm collar size), blue Fabrizio jeans, blue/gray Winner running shoes with velcro fasteners (size 8), and white sport socks with red and blue stripes at the top. The running shoes were determined to have been purchased at a Canadian store.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Coins - the most recent was from 1985 and distributed after March 1985.

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was discovered in the marsh area near Mitchell's Bay at Lake St. Clair. He suffered severe trauma to the left side of his skull. An autopsy concluded that he died by drowning.

Initially, he was thought to be White or Hispanic. His race was later determined to be Black.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Ontario Provincial Police
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 1-877-934-6363 or 1-705-330-4144
Agency E-Mail: tips(at)missing-u.ca; opp.isb.resolve(at)opp.ca
Agency Case Number: MPUB-20050024

Agency Name: Crime Stoppers
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
Agency E-Mail: tips@missing-u.ca
Agency Case Number: Unknown

Information Source(s)
Canada's Missing
The Examiner News Archive (3/30/12)
LF Press News Archive (6/10/14)
Windsorstar News Archive (6/10/14)

Admin Notes
Added: Prior to 2005; Last Updated: 7/16/18

Members online

Online statistics

Members online