GUILTY Canada - Brandon Volpi, 18, fatally stabbed on prom night, Ottawa, 7 June 2014

...Police are advising the public not to approach Hackett if they spot him, and call police as soon as possible.

"We believe he may be dangerous," Soucy said.

Hackett did not go to the same high school as the victim and is known to police, Soucy said.

The Canada-wide warrant was issued because police have exhausted all avenues in trying to locate Hackett, Soucy said.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Ottawa Police Service Major Crime Section at 613-236-1222 ext. 5493, or Crime Stoppers at 613-233-8477.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa...-night-murder-suspect-1.1862971#ixzz34M8XVFIy

[video at link]

not seeing any updates on this guy

hope he's caught soon

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/...rder-devontay-hackett-18-was-scheduled-to-ap/

"It's a weight off my shoulders," said south Ottawa resident Danny Volpi, father of the victim, 18-year-old Brandon Volpi. "It's a frustration that's been going on for a month and now it's finally come to an end."

Toronto police arrested Devontay Hackett, an 18-yearold St. Pius X Catholic High School student, in Toronto on July 11 at 2:30 p.m. Ottawa police remain tight-lipped about how the arrest unfolded and in which part of the city he was apprehended due to investigative reasons.

"Toronto police... actually positively identified him while doing their work, just patrol and stuff," confirmed Ottawa police spokesman Const. Chuck Benoit.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/devontay-hackett-homicide-brandon-volpi-day-two-1.3941039

During his opening statements in Superior Court on Tuesday, assistant Crown attorney Michael Boyce told the jury that Volpi left the after-prom party on June 7, 2014, and died 90 minutes later of a knife wound to the heart...

Boyce told court Hackett had been fighting with another student over a missing cellphone.

The student said he felt threatened and asked Volpi for help as Volpi and his friends were walking by in the hotel lobby, Boyce said. The students all went outside the hotel, where Hackett and Volpi came into contact with each other and Hackett pulled out a knife, Boyce told the court.

Volpi had a 17-centimetre stab wound to the neck, close to a jugular vein, and suffered slashes to his face, elbow and underarm, Boyce said. A 10-centimetre-deep penetrating stab wound through Volpe's rib cage and into his heart was the injury that killed him, Boyce told the court.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/prom-n...shows-murder-victim-s-final-moments-1.3247730

Chilling footage released Wednesday in an Ottawa courtroom shows the final moments of an 18-year-old man who was stabbed to death outside a hotel following his prom...

The fatal brawl was captured on area surveillance cameras and by bystanders who filmed the fight with their cellphones...

Police say their video timeline also includes area surveillance footage that tracks Hackett’s movements for nearly 30 minutes after the brawl.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/01/27...d-consumed-very-little-alcohol-before-he-died

It has been billed as a drunken, deadly prom-night brawl, but the young St. Pat’s grad who was slashed and stabbed to death on June 7, 2014, arguably had the clearest mind, as toxicology results show that he had consumed only the equivalent of a half pint of beer leading up to his killing...

Court heard that, after being stabbed, Volpi clutched his bleeding neck and shouted angrily, “Who did this? Who did this?”... Volpi was in shock and didn’t understand the severity of his wounds, and his words suddenly stopped making sense.

“I tried to keep him talking. He got more pale and after a while his eyes rolled back,” a security guard told court.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/knife-likely-cause-fatal-wound-002702736.html

Dr. Christopher Milroy, the director of the Eastern Ontario Regional Forensic Pathology Unit, testified at Hackett's murder trial Friday that the wounds Volpi suffered would have been painful injuries...

Milroy described the two gaping wounds on the left side of Volpi's neck and said they were caused by a left-to-right slashing motion from a "sharp-edged knife."

The stab wound to the left side of Volpi's chest went 10 centimetres horizontally into his heart, and was what caused Volpi to bleed to death, he said...

[A] forensic video technician had earlier testified that cellphone video from the night showed Hackett with an object in his hand, both before and after he engaged in a fight with Volpi — even though no knife could be seen while they actually fought.

Devontay Hackett found guilty in 2014 prom night killing of Brandon Volpi

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/devontay-hackett-trial-verdict-1.3983007

Devontay Hackett has been found guilty of second-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of 18-year-old Brandon Volpi outside an after-prom party at a downtown Ottawa hotel in June 2014.

The jury of eight men and four women took two days to come to a decision after being charged Tuesday evening following a trial that lasted about a month. Deliberations began Wednesday morning.

Devontay Hackett found guilty in 2014 prom night killing of Brandon Volpi

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/devontay-hackett-trial-verdict-1.3983007

Updated:

After the verdict was delivered, Justice Charles Hackland asked jurors to go back and consider how long Hackett should be deemed ineligible for parole.

Nine of the jurors recommended Hackett be ineligible for parole for 10 years, the minimum length for a second-degree murder conviction. Three declined to offer any recommendation.

The Crown and Hackett's defence team will offer their own parole eligibility submissions on March 30. The Crown is expected to seek more than 10 years.

'I am truly sorry': man convicted of killing Brandon Volpi apologizes to victim's family

A 21-year-old man convicted in the 2014 prom-night killing of Brandon Volpi apologized to the victim's family on Thursday before a Superior Court judge told a packed Ottawa courtroom he will decide the young man's fate next week.

Hackett, who was found guilty of second-degree murder last month, turned to Volpi's father at his sentencing hearing Thursday and said: "I am genuinely sorry for the loss and emotional suffering this ordeal has caused the Volpi family."

"It has been devastating to myself as well," he said. "Mr. and Mrs. Volpi, I am truly sorry for your loss."

Volpi's father, Danny Volpi, sat quietly without emotion as others cried while Hackett read out his apology.

In Volpi's victim impact statement, he said his son had his whole life ahead of him.

"I lost a part of me. I lost my only son," Volpi said. "He was only 18."

Outside of court, he said he has to live with the loss of his son for the rest of his life. When asked about Hackett's courtroom apology he said, "It was great on his part but he should have thought of that two years ago."

Devontay Hackett ineligible for parole for 12 years

The 21-year-old man convicted of second-degree murder in the 2014 prom night stabbing of 18-year-old Brandon Volpi will serve 12 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole, a Superior Court judge ruled Monday.

At the sentencing hearing last week, Devontay Hackett — automatically sentenced to life in prison — apologized to Volpi's family. All that was left for the judge to decide was how long Hackett would be ineligible for parole.

Father of victim in prom night killing 'pleased' with Devontay Hackett's prison sentence

"You never expect this thing to ever happen. I'm still sometimes in denial that my son is gone, but he is," Danny Volpi told CBC Radio's Ottawa Morning Tuesday, a day after Devontay Hackett was sentenced.

"It's a relief that this ordeal is finally over. It's been almost three years that the family's been waiting for this whole nightmare to end. And when I woke up this morning, I was energized," Danny Volpi said.

Still, Danny Volpi questions why his son ended up the victim of what he calls a "senseless crime" that has taken a serious toll on his family.

"My mother's really taken it hard. She really helped me raise Brandon from the ages of five to 18. She's been in his life forever. She thinks that he's basically one of her own. He kept her young, happy and lively. She misses him a lot," he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back