Child forced to urinate in seat of plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
http://m.nydailynews.com/news/natio...ear-old-bathroom-access-mom-article-1.1829774

A Massachusetts mom is furious with JetBlue after her 3-year-old daughter had to urinate in her seat, all because a flight attendant wouldn't let her use the plane's bathroom, she claims.

Jennifer Deveraux said the pilot even threatened to report her to security when she tried to clean up the mess.

"It wasn't about bad customer service at that point," Deveraux told CBS Boston. "It was about bad human decency. My daughter was sitting in a pool of urine and I couldn't do anything about it,"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure there is more to the story, that it was a matter of unfortunate timing. Who with a three year old has not experienced that? You just hope and pray you make it to the potty on time.

The FAA has strict rules about passengers remaining in their seats at certain times during the flight. I'm betting when all is said and done that this occurred at one of those times and said mom demanded that she get her way. When she didn't, it was all the airlines fault.

That might not be true, but I'm betting it is.

I'm sure there is more to the story, that it was a matter of unfortunate timing. Who with a three year old has not experienced that? You just hope and pray you make it to the potty on time.

The FAA has strict rules about passengers remaining in their seats at certain times during the flight. I'm betting when all is said and done that this occurred at one of those times and said mom demanded that she get her way. When she didn't, it was all the airlines fault.

That might not be true, but I'm betting it is.

I've HAD to go during one of those times. I just got up and went. I did get the stink eye from a flight attendant.

Which is nothing like the look I would have got had I remained in my seat!

I've HAD to go during one of those times. I just got up and went. I did get the stink eye from a flight attendant.

Which is nothing like the look I would have got had I remained in my seat!

If you just got up and went, and quietly returned to your seat, they probably understood and let it go. Another case of bad timing. What were they gonna do, drag you out of the potty?:floorlaugh:

I'm sure it had a lot to do with the moms attitude. That is the vibe I get from the article.

I don't get that vibe. We have no idea what Mom's attitude is or was.

MOO

Well, sensationalized headline....one can take it as child forced to urinate in seat.......well technically she was, but the reality was, unless mom pulled her pants down and sat her on the seat, and told her to go, the reality was.....she did as many three year olds...had an accident because she couldn't wait because she had to go at an inopportune time.

Unfortunate, but hard to avoid with a three year old.

Do you have to go potty?
No.
Okay...

I mean I don't know how long between potty breaks-it could have been quite a long time. But geez, three year-olds have accidents. Not everything is a thing.

I remember when a toddler's potty accident wasn't newsworthy.

Well, sensationalized headline....one can take it as child forced to urinate in seat.......well technically she was, but the reality was, unless mom pulled her pants down and sat her on the seat, and told her to go, the reality was.....she did as many three year olds...had an accident because she couldn't wait because she had to go at an inopportune time.

I'm no toddler and when I have to go, I have to go. I would also be furious.

I'm no toddler and when I have to go, I have to go. I would also be furious.

I do totally get that....I do. I seriously thought I was going to burst on a flight that was circling an airport once...by some small grace I made it, but it was a close thing. I think I was about 24 at the time. But really, anyone who has ever traveled knows, especially after 9/11 is that you follow the rules. We may not like it, but it is the way it is.

I'm sorry that this mom and her little girl were embarrassed or felt like they were victimized, but the little girls have accidents and if you're told to stay in your seat on an airplane, you pretty much have to, for your safety and the safety of others.

I just don't see this as some kind of anti-family discrimination or something like that. The pilot says everyone must stay in their seat, the flight attendants are instructed to follow this protocol. I can imagine that the flight attendant doing her job would be slightly irritated having to tell someone over and over to please stay seated. I can't fault her for not smiling like a loon or being sugary sweet when the request was repeatedly ignored. It's not a "customer service issue" it's a safety issue.

A small child's accident is not newsworthy or debate worthy. A little child having an potty accident is not a medical emergency, had it been the airline staff could have handled it differently, since it WAS not, and they did not, I do not see a issue here.

ALWAYS MOO

Maybe she'll put a pull-up on her next time..

I will not be putting on any pull up!

They were on the tarmac ...sitting there. Not doing a darn thing, not even taxiing.
I see no safety issue. The other pilot flying as a passenger on the plane saw nothing wrong with it.

I fly a lot, and so I know that flight attendants can get into a fair bit of trouble if they do not caution/prohibit passengers from leaving their seats at some points during a flight. There are also quasi-passengers, if I can coin the term, who are aboard some flights partly to ensure that protocols are met: e.g., marshals, service evaluators, etc. Those folks are there in part to ensure that the crew follows the rules. If someone wants to break the rules they instate, and they do nothing to respond to them, well, the flight crew is in big trouble, and it's usually a 1-strike-you're out situation.

Aside from all of that, I would contend that there are basic realities about travel. Not talking about this case or any in particular. Perhaps it would be a good idea for people going on flights to urinate before they board. Perhaps it would be advised that one shouldn't consume a number of juice boxes before they board a flight.

This was a short flight, and it did actually have toilet facilities. I actually think that is a luxury, in a way, as I often take flights that are 4-5 times longer in aircraft having no bathroom facilities whatsoever (and yes, there are sometimes kids on board). Passengers in need have to (forgive my language) pee or poo into a bag in the cargo hold if they so need. Or use their pants. (Fortunately, neither happens often.)

Again, JMO, but if a kid (or adult) pees or poops her/himself on a flight (or basically farts for an entire flight), I think that most people will just think, well, so be it.

I don't mean to blame the parent or child here, but I definitely don't want to blame the flight attendant. For those who would say that they would just defy her/him and go to the bathroom regardless, well, you might just cost the flight attendant her/his job.

I can imagine some smartazzed childless flight attendant saying NO BATHROOM AT THIS TIME.... ugh. 2 and 3 years cant hold it in.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/ushome/index.html

The plane was delayed in JFK and was still sitting on the tarmac when 3-year-old Summer (pictured center) said she had to use the restroom. But a flight attendant refused to let the girl get up from her seat, and then allegedly yelled at her mother when the toddler lost control of her bladder.

Allegedly is the word. What is wrong in this crazy world when a three year old having an accident is newsworthy?

Allegedly is the word. What is wrong in this crazy world when a three year old having an accident is newsworthy?

What is an age that would make it news worthy?
What if it was you? What if it was an low functioning adult? What if it were an elderly person?
Lots of children are fully potty trained at age 2, this child was 3, perhaps she was just short of being 4. While cognitively not the same ...doesn't diminish the fact that a human being was made to soil herself and expected to sit in it...and she didn't want to.

That to me is a big deal.

All IMO

Usually, attendants are accommodating when things like this arise, because seriously, the call of nature in a child is something you can't hold off, at times… sad that the little girl had to go through that.

I'll never forget the time that we had to break the rules, during one of those "you are not to get out of your seat PERIOD" times. My daughter (16 at the time) had a stomach bug hit her while on our flight home from Hawaii. She got up to go to the bathroom and the attendant barked at us to stay in our seat. I was blunt and told the lady that my daughter was about to pooh all over the plane. (pooh was not the word I used… I used the s word) Next thing out of the attendant's mouth was "GO GO GO." lol

I'm a mom, as well as a health care provider, and I was an Air Force flight nurse for many years. I really can see this from all angles-- both the biological need to use the bathroom RIGHT NOW, and the need to have all passengers secured for takeoff. I don't know for certain what phase of flight the plane was in "on the tarmac", but I'd bet they were buttoned up, had received clearance to takeoff, and were in line for takeoff when they wanted to get up.

From the point of biological needs, I do understand that when someone needs to "go" they often can't wait very long. I also understand that safety, and having passengers and small children secured, also can't be ignored during critical phases. Just imagine what kind of lawsuits would be "flying" around for passengers injured during critical phases of flight who refused to stay belted in their seats! To say nothing about the terrorism concerns of roving passengers during critical phases. AND-- the pilot can't just "hold in place" EVERY time a passenger wants to get up and use the bathroom. That would be complete and utter chaos for air traffic controllers.

The fact is, this mother should have done all she could to prevent the need to use the bathroom during loading and takeoff. Up to, and including putting her child in a pull up, if she was worried. And if there was an accident anyway, that is just how it goes.

Maybe it sounds cruel and unreasonable to some not to let anyone up whenever they want, but safety regulations really do over ride the request to get up and use the bathroom. And the current security concerns about terrorism mandate that aircrews have some control over ALL passengers during critical phases of time-- loading, unloading, take off, landing, etc.

It's a 3 year old who had a potty accident. It happens. We wish is wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that how the aircrew handled it was wrong. It shouldn't be news, except that this mother had completely unreasonable expectations for her child, as well as for the air travel experience, IMO.

Heck, I'd be in favor of a free Depends dispenser in the security line, for any adults who might need them!

Air travel is not a pleasant experience anymore (particularly with small children), and no one should EVER expect it to be pleasant or convenient. You WILL be inconvenienced and annoyed pretty much every minute of your air travel experience, from the moment you arrive at the airport, till you leave the airport at your destination. You CHOOSE to fly and accept these annoyances and irritations, and outright invasions of your privacy and rights. And you PAY for it. I fly at least 8-12 times a year for work and pleasure, and have flown with small kids for many years. Flying is not like it was 20 years ago-- the whole experience, apart from arriving alive, sucks, IMO. But it's what you have to accept if you choose to fly.

ETA: We also have NO IDEA what else may have been going on in the surrounding area that the flight attendants didn't tell passengers. Often times there is something the pilots are aware of, that passengers are not yet able to be told. There could have been a security situation, another airplane in trouble, etc. There are lots of reasons passengers need to follow the instructions of the flight crew. The general public can't assume they know more than the flight crew about whether or not it's allowable, safe, or advisable to get up whenever they want. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23