Hall of Famer Tony Gwynn dead at 54 after battle with cancer

I am a huge baseball fan and very sad today to see Tony's passing.I don't think most people know how great of a player and person he was,he was not the type to boast or seek fame.I had heard about his battle with mouth cancer a few years ago,just prayed he would beat it somehow.I hope his death can save some young ball players from chewing tobacco.RIP Tony!

I love baseball. My dad played from grade school, through the military and then college. He was one of the 'ol guys' playing softball. Growing up in Oklahoma, I listened to it on the radio every night.

His death should bring new focus on the dangers of chew.

I am a huge baseball fan and very sad today to see Tony's passing.I don't think most people know how great of a player and person he was,he was not the type to boast or seek fame.I had heard about his battle with mouth cancer a few years ago,just prayed he would beat it somehow.I hope his death can save some young ball players from chewing tobacco.RIP Tony!

I just left the ballpark. There were many mourners there, lots of signs, balloons, and flowers. Sad day in SD. :-(

Oh! mrsobrian I bet that was tough being there.The memorial service will be huge,I hope they hold something at the park. I watched the memorial on the mlb channel this afternoon and it was hard.I am watching the Padres game right know and his jersey is hanging in the dugout. They just showed his statue at Petco and the crowd gathered.What incredible stats he had and I did not know he has a record for the number of assists in basketball when he played in college and that record still stands.Baseball has lost a great rolemodel for how players should conduct themselves,not many around like that anymore.Sorry to go on and on but I love baseball and admired Tony Gwynn.Godbless his family.

How sad. I remember him. I lived in San Diego from 1978-1989 and was a big Padres fan. I got to go to one game of the World Series in 1984. RIP Tony, You were too young.

Nice guy- great player.

Let's hope that something good comes from his death re: the dangers of smokeless tobacco.

I was so saddened to hear this yesterday. Even sadder than when I heard 'Popeye'/Don Zimmerman past away a week ago or so.

I remember seeing TG play at Wrigley many times and thinking, "oh no" when he came to bat. Especially if the Pad's had men on base.

So sad to see him gone at such a long age. Sleep peacefully Tony.

Trial date set for Tony Gwynn wrongful death lawsuit

The lawsuit claims the Padre outfielder was targeted to use smokeless tobacco that caused the cancer leading to his death. Tony Gwynn used as many as two cans of smokeless tobacco per day, that’s equivalent to smoking four or five packs of cigarettes daily. Smokeless tobacco is now banned from Major League Baseball players on the field.

The trail date is set for September 2019.

http://www.kusi.com/trial-date-set-tony-gwynn-wrongful-death-lawsuit/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back