Is the reporting becoming less one-sided about WM3?

Mrs G Norris

Reaction score
I've noticed a subtle change in the way media has been reporting this case .. there was a lot less coverage of Echols' latest book launch, and then I saw this article:

A MODERN DAY WITCH HUNT COMES BACK TO SALEM

Damien Echols, one of the West Memphis Three, moved to Salem, Mass. seeking acceptance and the quiet life. Then a post popped up on an Internet message board with his name inside of it and this headline: "Is a child murderer living in Salem?"

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/witch-hunt-in-salem?click=feed

At least media is starting to notice there is another side to this story .. and finally a quote from family other than Mark Byers:

The profiteering bothers the victims’ families. Mary Sue Moore Turn—whose nephew, Michael, is one of the murdered boys—calls the slew of documentaries, books and movies made about the case “money-generating fiction that misrepresented and insulted a community, a culture and our justice system.”

Yes, let's go beyond the marketing spin :)

I am not arguing whether it is right or wrong, but I still think that the grand majority of media coverage out there is supportive of the WM3. I'm not sure if you saw it, but just 2 nights ago, Damien and Lori were on CNN; and the host (Don Lemon) pretty much doted on them the entire interview. Of course, one instance doesn't prove anything; and like I said, I don't be to criticize or condemn Lemon's approach -- just stating what I've seen recently.

It seems to me that, at least in Damien's and Lori's case, the media tends to give them the benefit of the doubt and be supportive. They eat up the "love story that bloomed on death row" angle; whether rightfully so or not.

Having read the article I have to say Damien is more sympathetic and that michael blatty just seems like a contemptible douchebag. Also I think it's because most people who look at the case think they are innocent. The insulting a culture comment from the aunt is asinine. Yes the police can be incompetent

It is impossible to insult the Arkansas justice system. Not after all we've witnessed over the past 20 years.

Thank GOD for the media (and I rarely say that) .. be it NOT for them being influenced by the reasoning of "famous" people and a slew of people that KNEW this case was purely political, these three would have rotted in the bowels of the justice system and died needlessly. NOW if they could only find the real killer(s) and other victims of the justice system could get their day in court....

The profiteering bothers the victims’ families. Mary Sue Moore Turn—whose nephew, Michael, is one of the murdered boys—calls the slew of documentaries, books and movies made about the case “money-generating fiction that misrepresented and insulted a community, a culture and our justice system.”QUOTE]

Snipped by me...

Assuming the WM3 are guilty, then yes, the profiteering would be outrageous.

Assuming the WM3 are innocent, then why SHOULDN'T they be allowed to tell their story.... and yes, profit from it? When out there job-searching, what education, skills, and experience have they gained being behind bars since teenagers?

I've noticed a subtle change in the way media has been reporting this case .. there was a lot less coverage of Echols' latest book launch......
........At least media is starting to notice there is another side to this story .. and finally a quote from family other than Mark Byers:

The profiteering bothers the victims’ families. Mary Sue Moore Turn—whose nephew, Michael, is one of the murdered boys—calls the slew of documentaries, books and movies made about the case “money-generating fiction that misrepresented and insulted a community, a culture and our justice system.”
First I need to make clear that I am not a big 'fan' of Echols. However, I was fully behind the supporter movement in the fight for real justice. Whilst I can fully understand his wish to get out of that hell hole as soon as possible, I find it sad that he was unable to 'stick it out' for the greater good for the majority.

As to the quote you have copied above, there are a couple of immediate ponts to be made. Firstly the use of the word 'slew' is over stating it. 'The Paradise Lost Trilogy' is really just one case-reated documentary; due to the pace of legal process it became necessary to come out in three stages and each version basically brings the viewer up to date on the passage of events of the case. 'West of Memphis' is another documentary, concerning the investigations of the EDT; 'Devil's Knot', the book, was a piece of investigative writing about the event, mainly focusing on the legal process and what the author believed and could find out at the time; This was then made in to a Hollywood film. The Moores barely featured as they had not had any financial arrangement with the film company. It is worth remembering that they had done this with the first part of the PL series.

Then, of course, there was the first book 'Blood of the Innocents' which always struck me as the worst sort of salacious tabloid style of book.

Then there is a book on the legal ramifications due by Judge Stidham. I would tend to think that there is maybe a delay on this in the hopes that there will be a final resolution of the case.

If this reads badly I pead post dental session in mitigation and am going up to bed for a while (two pm here!).

Mara Leveritt's book, written with Jason Baldwin, 'Dark Spell' has nothing to do with the case itself excepting the unfortunate wrongful conviction and subsequent sentencing of a teen in to the hard core prison population of the ADC. It is an inspiring read about some of the ghastly trials and tribulations of life inside the system.

Lastly there are the two books by Echols all about Echols. He would seem to have little time to spend on any other than himself - the second book I have not read, but it sounds equally dire!

It is very obvious that the aunt of Michael Moore has chosen not to read any of the books, which she has evry right to do. However, it is rather hard to make a sweeping statement along the lines of 'fiction' 'money making' etc with out actually reading or seeing any of the books or films she is criticising. Obviously TWH is not too happy with the way things are going, but he did make money out of the Hollywood vesion as he sold his life rights. Other family members of the victims have both read and seen and Byers is not the only family member to speak out for justice. The Moores chose, too, not to attend the briefing by the EDT prior to the press conference in 2007. Up until that point all the families were, at least publically, supportive of the investigation and convictions of 1994. It is a shame that they did not take advantage of the EDT's offer. One, it would have given them ample warning of what was about to hit the media and, who knows, might have made them look again and maybe question some of the 'facts' worthy of closer scrutiny.

In an ideal world we should all have the right to be able to have the highest regard for our law-makers, those who enforce it and protect us, and those who enact it when someone has erred. Back in the 90's it seems that the citizens of West Memphis were not able to rely on that. We now know that there were no real 'satanic' motivated murders, but back then there was a certain hysteria sweeping many communities. West |Memphis is a prime example of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back