NY NY - Peter Lorang, 28, Galway, 31 July 2001

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
lorang_peter_zps9aa1eb03.jpg

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/general-news/20140623/unsolved-homicides-missing-persons-challenge-law-enforcement

Peter Lorang, 28, who lived alone on Cook Road in Charlton, was reported missing on Aug. 6, 2001. Twelve days later, his 1994 Chrysler convertible was towed from an Albany parking lot where it had been for several days. He’s never been seen or heard from since.

Found an archived news article from March 17, 2002, but it won't let me copy and paste any excerpts:

Part 1: Trail of Missing Man Remains Cold

Part 2: Peculiar Case of Pete Lorang Remains a Mystery

Basically, it says the last time his dad saw him, Pete had brought his new car to show off to him, was very proud of it. This was the same car found abandoned a few weeks later. Pete's last phone call was on July 31, when he set up an appointment with a customer to do some decorative airbrush painting.

On August 3, his younger brother was dropped off at Pete's home and found that his dog had been left alone for several days. There were no other signs of anything amiss, but Pete and his car were gone.

When LE searched the house after Pete was reported missing, they found a cache of guns and explosives in a second-floor workshop above the garage. The ATF issued a warrant for Pete's arrest.

Then his car was found with the door ajar just far enough that the battery had run down, but there was no blood inside or evidence of a struggle.

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lorang_peter.html

It says his father stated that Pete was known to carry large amounts of cash, and he believes his son was mugged and killed.

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7267/

Peter's current NAMUS link: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP7267
Peter G. Lorang
Male, White / Caucasian
Height 5' 11" (71 Inches)
Weight 190 lbs

Circumstances of Disappearance
Reported missing by his father.

Tattoo
Tattoo on right shoulder red circle with Japanese writing in it.

Accessories
Walks with a cane

So I feel like I can talk about this a little bit because it has been almost 20 years now. There is a reason why I wouldn’t talk about it before and it’ll be obvious.
I knew Peter back then, we were both marines so we had a common bond and we would hang out at bars or house parties in the area we lived in. We didn’t know each other too well though, not enough for us to hang out without the groups we knew. Peter was very nice, not cocky and fun to hang out with. I don’t remember him being that tall though, but that may be because I wore 4 inch heeled boots when I went out back then, lol.
The Saturday he was last seen he actually had called me to come up to his house and do some target shooting. We both like guns and he supposedly had some nice ones. But I had my 1 year old son and I would not only never take him around guns but I also would not take him around a man I only knew casually. I told him to call me next weekend and we would plan something. Peter didn’t call and I didn’t think anything about it until I came home from work one day that week and it was all over the news that they had found bomb making instruments at his home while investigating him as a missing person. They put out a warrant for his arrest and it went on for days. I had figured he’d show up and was just hiding from the charges. And I wanted nothing to do with that because of my son. I was in my mid 20’s, going through family court with my terrible ex and trying to be a good single parent. Well Peter never showed back up. When his car was found I knew it wasn’t what I thought it was. I feel that whatever happened to him happened the day he was last seen, the day he invited me over. I have no proof of that just a feeling, I feel like I dodged something bad, mixed with the feeling that he may be here had I gone over that day.
Again, without proof, he was getting guns, ordnance and chemicals from somewhere and I feel that this could be the reason he disappeared. I am 100% sure that everything was for personal use though. As marines and heck as country folk we like to shoot and blow things up sometimes. Even now I’ll hear an explosion and my first thought is “Well, somebody just blew up 5gal worth of tannerite”.
Here we are almost 20 years later. There hasn’t been any information since 2001. I would love to see some resolution to his case, for his family, friends and even me. So I definitely pay attention to any uid’s that may be Peter. I want to know what happened that day and I hope someday we will find out.

You did the right thing not going there with your child. I think you had a gut feeling things may not be on the up and up, after all Peter was already shot along with his friend in the past. I agree you did dodge something bad, although you knew him casually he never told you his real story and what he may have been involved in. Someone drove his car to Albany and left it there. Albany is 36 miles from Saratoga. His body may be further north. I don't think he left of his own volition.

You did the right thing not going there with your child. I think you had a gut feeling things may not be on the up and up, after all Peter was already shot along with his friend in the past. I agree you did dodge something bad, although you knew him casually he never told you his real story and what he may have been involved in. Someone drove his car to Albany and left it there. Albany is 36 miles from Saratoga. His body may be further north. I don't think he left of his own volition.

Absolutely! I never understood women that aren’t careful about who their children are around. All any mom needs to do is spend an hour on WS to understand that it’s a really bad idea. I definitely do feel like I am here today because I didn’t go up there that day. It’s crazy how that works. I’ve had some “oh *advertiser censored*” moments before but this is one that I don’t think would have worked out in my favor. It’s impossible to shake too. It haunts me. And omg, you are so right the thought of him being shot had crossed my mind many times, even before his disappearance.
Yes, if I were to commit a crime, hide a body and ditch a car, then north of Saratoga would be where I’d do that. Everything north and west is pretty much forested and rough terrain. It could take days to find living, lost people in these woods and if somebody were to be concealed then the chances are good that they’d never be found. And we have the Northway, no tolls nor cameras back in 2001, a great road to drive while remaining undetected.
I feel that those couple of weeks between Peters disappearance and when his car was located were almost wasted. Nobody would peep his name because everybody was afraid to be connected to what was coming out on the news. The way the local police spoke about what they found was like he was planning an OK City style bombing. I don’t believe that to be the case though but then again, thank goodness, I didn’t know much. The media didn’t say he was endangered missing but more or less they said he was the danger and I think if anybody did know anything that possibly stopped them from coming forward. The general consensus with our friends was that he was a fugitive. Years later his case started to be featured as a missing persons and not as a bomb making terrorist fugitive and I am glad about that. I don’t think anybody would have believed that here we are almost 20 years later and we still don’t know anything. A few weeks after Peters car was found 9/11 happened and Peter’s story completely disappeared from the news.

He was involved in more than you or his Dad knew you can be sure. I don't believe he liked to blow things up just to do it! He was testing and experimenting with his explosives. People that like to blow things up buy fireworks.

I am very familiar with the terrain. I grew up in Loudonville. :)

I came across this case randomly on the Charley Project. I feel for his family and hope they'll find out what happened to him, if they're still seeking closure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.
Back