CA - Boy Scout commits suicide at Fiesta Island camp, 30 June 2014

From same link:

<snipped>
An emergency call from the camp described the shooting as a suicide attempt, said San Diego police Lieutenant Mike Hastings of the homicide unit.

Also snipped from the link above:
The boy's father was at the camp with him, having arrived on Sunday for a seven-day stay. They had been scheduled to return to Las Vegas on July 5, Hastings said.

I wonder how the boy got access to a pistol at a Boy Scouts Camp?

Poor boy must have been going through a difficult time. This should have been a happy time for him.

ETA: This thread may be in the wrong place if this was truly a suicide. But the article says that the person who placed the 911 call described it as a suicide attempt. It is being investigated as a homicide. So, who placed the 911 call I wonder?

Some articles say the boy died of suicide, but here is the latest I could find:

<snipped>
In an afternoon update, investigators would not say where the scout was wounded or how many times he was shot, only that the boy may have been shot more than once in the "upper torso." Earlier, police said the boy had shot himself in the head.

Police blocked off the camp entrance and began interviewing scouts and leaders, including the child's father who was present at the camp.

Homicide and child abuse investigators were assisting in the case while lab technicians processed forensic evidence.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...n-Diego-Shooting-265229971.html#ixzz36AIMb1m5
Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook

A lot of conflicting reports:

<snipped>
A 12-year-old boy died at Fiesta Island from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound Monday morning, authorities said.

Police and paramedics were called to the Fiesta Island Youth Camp near East Mission Bay Drive shortly after 7:30 a.m. on a report the boy had shot himself, according to San Diego police and fire officials.
http://www.10news.com/news/police-young-boy-shot-himself-at-boy-scout-camp

Even if the boy's death is determined to be a suicide, I imagine someone will be held accountable for providing him with the pistol, or failing to secure their firearm.

So sad; suicide is always horrific but when it's a child? Sweet boy, I hope he is now completely free of whatever was troubling him and that he has found the peace that he sought.

disclaimer in case it's necessary: not advocating suicide

Although most MSM articles report the gunshot wound as self-inflicted, some MSM reporters are still hesitant to label the death as a suicide. LE are still investigating.

<snipped>
San Diego police say they got a call at 7:30am of an attempted suicide. Officers and paramedics rushed to the popular summer Boy Scout camp and found the young boy in his tent with at least one gunshot wound to his upper torso.

"When officers arrived, they did locate the handgun near where this incident occurred," stated Lt. Mike Hastings of the San Diego Police Department.

But where did the gun come from? And did he take his own life? The 12-year-old boy arrived Sunday at the week-long camp with 20 members of his Las Vegas troop - boys and adults, including his father. All of them were interviewed by homicide and child abuse detectives.

http://www.kusi.com/story/25910618/12-year-old-shot-at-boy-scout-camp-on-fiesta-island

They still haven't said who made the 911 call. That may be one piece of evidence LE are trying to determine.

I'm curious to find out where he got the gun from if there wasn't a shooting component at the camp. Are adults allowed to carry at Boy Scout camp or is it a gun free zone?

Condolences to the family.

Rest in peace, darling boy. I hope you have found what you were looking for.

This is one of the most confusing cases. So many conflicting stories. I pray they get to the truth quickly

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueSmurf1
Back