GA - Suspicion over heat death of Cooper, 22 mo., Cobb County, June 2014, #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
Georgia toddler's death -- first blamed on heat -- is ongoing probe, police say

(CNN)
-- It was a tragedy from the outset: a toddler found dead apparently after being left alone for hours in a hot car, a distraught father blaming himself and facing serious criminal charges.

Now, Cobb County, Georgia, police imply there is more -- much more -- to the story.

"Much has changed about the circumstances leading up to the death of this 22-month-old since it was first reported," Cobb County Police Sgt. Dana Pierce told CNN. He would not elaborate, citing an ongoing investigation, but his words made it clear this was not just another case of a young life left and lost to heat exposure in a hot car.

"I've been in law enforcement for 34 years. What I know about this case shocks my conscience as a police officer, a father and a grandfather," said Pierce.

140620201004-nr-brooke-mom-lost-kid-in-hot-car-00004516-story-body.jpg

More at http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/21/us/toddler-car-death-probe/?sr=google_news

Good Morning Everyone. Seems you all had a busy night, early morning.

Please read the following:

"POWER POSTING" where one responds over and over to every post with little time in between and always to drive a single point home is a violation of etiquette, as is stating unknowns as knowns, or stating them as fact. If you state a fact, you need a link. Power Posting is very disruptive on the thread and it's not allowed.

If it is determined that a member is power posting in a thread, they will be asked to leave the thread. If the member chooses not to leave the thread, TOs will be issued.

"GANGING UP ON OTHER MEMBERS" is not allowed. If you disagree with something, but your only comment is to tell another they are wrong, then don't post it. Just scroll. Everyone gets their own opinion. If you must respond, then post the link that refutes their statement and MOVE ON. Members that participate in ganging up will be issued TOs. This is bullying guys, and it's not tolerated here.

Please read your post before hitting reply. If your post is personal to someone else, don't post it.

Salem

Mom is considered a victim here unless you have a link from LE/MSM saying otherwise. She can be discussed in the context of what she has said in the media and in the warrants.

Please post accordingly.

Salem

Please continue here.

Thanks,

Salem

If he's released on bail, then he will have no excuse to be off work. --

if he's released on bail then he will have no excuse to get back to work at HD --

Yes, if he bails out, he should be able to return to his job. In theory, at least.

if he's released on bail then he will have no excuse to get back to work at HD --

How does that work, I wonder. He was put on administrative leave (unpaid I believe)

What are the conditions for his return?

But they have few really true long term friends and their wives say after the divorce "you didn't really know him".

Exactly - the wives may say that AFTER the divorce. Prior to, they can be completely taken in and in denial for years, partly because there is a sense of shame that reinforces the denial every time you start to realize what your spouse may truly be like. IME

If he's released on bail, then he will have no excuse to be off work. --

That would be interesting wouldn't it, surely a grieving father who made the worst mistake of his life the last time he was working there, would never be able to step foot there again! I certainly couldn't. X

I'm glad this baby was rescued! Who the hell thinks this is OK? =( There is an experience that will be burned into my brain forever. I was in the right place at the right time to help save a baby that was trapped in a hot car.

In 2005 I had recently graduated college and moved back to my hometown for the summer. My mom and I stopped for lunch and parked next to a car w/ the windows up and a baby in an infant seat. We lived in inland So. California at the time and it was the labor day weekend... super super hot! It was in the low 90's that day. I worked as a nanny at the time and had a habit of looking into carseats while walking by cars. It's just something I've always done just in case... but I never expected to see a baby! Luckily there was a fire station about 2 blocks away.

I asked my mom if it was a doll and she NO. I banged hard on the window and the baby didn't move. Her face was bright pink. My mom ran into the restaurant to see if she could find the owner and I called 911 on my cell phone. I said, "I need help for a baby that is locked in a car. I'm at Jack in the Box on Woodside and there is a baby in a car with the windows up. I banged on the windows and the baby could just be asleep but it did not move. I have no idea how long the car has been here."

They had the baby out of that car in about 1.5 minutes from the time I made the call. I could hear the fire engine sirens start up and the dispatcher asked for a description of the car. I swear before I could finish telling the lady the make, model, color and plate number, two fire engines came screaming down the street, and as the first was rolling to a stop in the road two guys jumped off the back and had the car window broken out. They didn't spare one second, didn't try to assess the situation, didn't attempt to locate the owner to find out if the car had only been sitting a minute or two or anything... they just took swift action and saved her life. The only question they asked me before the broke the window was when they were running up from the engine, "this car?" I said yes and it was done.

The baby was ultimately OK but they took her to the hospital because she was so lethargic, not very alert, and hot to the touch. They arrested the guy who was supposed to be taking care of her. He didn't hear my mom call for the owner of the car because he was in the bathroom reading the paper. He came waltzing out of the restaurant with his newspaper under his arm 15 minutes AFTER the baby was out with his paper irate that they broke his window out. It was estimated that the baby was in the car for 15-20 minutes prior to me arriving because he ate first. The police had assumed the car was abandoned at the restaurant because he didn't even respond when they went in the restroom to see if the driver was in there. WTF.

I will never forget that day. These stories hurt my heart so badly.
SuperTMO, you and your mother should be so proud of what you did for that baby! The outcome could have easily been very different.

These kind of incidents make me heartsick as well. Typically these incidents are truly horrible accidents--a loving, devoted parent who is distracted or whose routine has changed "spaces out" about the baby in the back. Those parents are devastated. My heart breaks for the child and for the parent; I count my lucky stars that I am not in their place.

In your case and a minority of others, the caregiver leaves the child in the carseat through ignorance, indifference, or intent. And then I'm incensed! Sadly, I think Cooper's death falls into this category.

Keep in mind what you and the first responders did for the child you posted about. You all saved her life and you also improved her chances at a happy life. In the best case scenario, the baby's parent was unaware and learned to make sure the baby was in the care of a responsible adult at all times. The rescue put the baby on child protective service's radar, so others outside her immediate circle were checking on her safety and well-being too.

How does that work, I wonder. He was put on administrative leave (unpaid I believe)

there could be some issues with his being charged for sure depending on his company's policy.

I understand (I could be so wrong) that some employers would take a dim view of an employee even being charged with an offence like this.

I haven't seen it stated but I would bet it is until after the case comes to end one way or the other.

That would be interesting wouldn't it, surely a grieving father who made the worst mistake of his life the last time he was working there, would never be able to step foot there again! I certainly couldn't. X

Your comment is generous.

I do not think that it could be a very productive environment with his return -- it would be an uneasy feeling for everyone at best ((MOO)))

You would think so. One mother interviewed in the WaPo article that forgot her child and it died in the car... she drives the exact same car still and when she took the reporter to the place where she use to work when it happened..she parked in the exact same spot. She made a few statements that were outrageous imo. iirc “I don’t feel I need to forgive myself,” she says plainly, “because what I did was not intentional.”
Oh, she said why shouldn't I keep driving my vehicle it is a perfectly good vehicle. Something like that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...e0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

Yes, if he bails out, he should be able to return to his job. In theory, at least.

Depends. My company policy is if you are charged with a felony you are on unpaid leave. I know this because a former manager here was indicted and later plead guilty to wire fraud. He was put on unpaid leave when charged.

seems like it would be a nightmare for him and his wife if he does get bail

Does anyone know many kids have been saved by putting them in the back seat vs those that have died due to forgetting them? A quick search found nothing on the first two pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth