Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
BBM.
Nothing that would be considered a forest. There may be a few trees/bushes near the Elbow River, though. But not enough to conceal a body or bodies.
The crime scene is pretty close to the downtown area.

Anyone who is more local can probably give better insight than me.
I don't live in Calgary, but I do have general knowledge about the city.

Google streetview shows this at the end of their street (about 4 houses down from the Liknes' home):

It's the Elbow River Pathway (iirc) that runs alongside the river.

AMBER Alert issued for missing five-year-old from Calgary

Calgary police are investigating the disappearance of a five-year-old child and his grandparents from a home in the southwest and issued an AMBER Alert on Monday afternoon.

Police were called to a home in the 100 block of 38A Avenue SW at about 10:00 a.m. Monday by a mother who went to the home to pick up her son who was staying with his grandparents.

The three were not at the residence and have not been located despite efforts by police.

Investigators say evidence at the scene suggests their disappearance may be suspicious.
full article:
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-five-year-old-from-calgary-1.1893711

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...R-ALERT-Nathan-O-Brien-5-Calgary-30-June-2014 Thread#1

Ok I tried to sleep but can't get this off my mind....scary stuff. Poor family I feel terrible.

Just wanted to say the reporter Dave Dormer is a great guy. When my mom passed las summer and her apartment caught fire I was suspicious and contacted him. He helped me our by finding out the cause of fire .

Here is a timeline in the Calgary Herald ...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/fp/Amber+Alert+Timeline+events/9991492/story.html

This timeline says the L's bought a condo in Mexico, so did they buy two homes, one in Edmonton and one in Mexico?

Wondering if RO was caring for N's brothers on Sunday and Monday morning when JO went to pick N up?

How far away did JO live from her parent's home?

Copyinig over the timeline:

December 5, 2013
Alvin Liknes sells his Parkhill home to a Calgary lawyer. He continues to live in the home with his wife, Kathryn.

June 11-24
The Liknes family posts various ads on Kijiji during this time, advertising various household items and furniture for sale. The ads mention that the couple is moving and can’t take these items with them. They also advertise an estate sale to be held at the end of the month.

June 27-29
Alvin and Kathryn Liknes hold an estate sale at their house. Signs on the front door say, “come on in!” Dozens of people cycle in and out of the home over weekend. Neighbours who chatted with the couple say they were talking about ‘downsizing’ and moving to Mexico. Cherri Hodgins, a friend of Kathryn Liknes, said the couple bought a condo there and had been planning to move for several months.

Midday, June 29
Five-year-old Nathan O’Brien goes to visit his grandparents with his mother, Jennifer. In the afternoon, neighbour Peter Walton’s grandkids play with Nathan O’Brien in the park behind the Liknes home, while Alvin Liknes looks on from the garage.

10 p.m., June 29
After staying at the house for an unknown amount of time, Jennifer O’Brien leaves her parents’ house, and Nathan stays with his grandparents. It’s the last time anyone sees Nathan or his grandparents.

10 a.m., June 30
Jennifer O’Brien returns to her parents’ house to pick up Nathan. There is no one at the house. She calls police.

Late morning, June 30
Cliff Liknes goes to visit his brother, Alvin, after he didn’t pick up the phone. He quickly realizes something is wrong when he arrives and sees police combing Alvin’s home.

4 p.m., June 30
Police announce they are investigating what they say is the suspicious disappearance of Nathan and his grandparents.

5:30 p.m., June 30
An Amber Alert is issued for the missing trio. The alert prompts numerous calls to police, but no significant leads turn up.

1 p.m. July 1
Police hold a media briefing and report they still don’t know where the three missing people are and say they have a ‘big mystery’ on their hands

Ok I tried to sleep but can't get this off my mind....scary stuff. Poor family I feel terrible.

Just wanted to say the reporter Dave Dormer is a great guy. When my mom passed las summer and her apartment caught fire I was suspicious and contacted him. He helped me out by finding out the cause of fire .

My glasses are spinning and I thought I read "I can't get the weird out of my head with this case". Yes, it is beyond normal given what seems to be normal for the city.

Reporter Dave Dormer seems to be paying attention to the details. Seems like a good reporter. The reporter that followed the news conference couldn't get it straight when he was asked where people were supposed to bring their photos. He said something like Parkdale rather than Parkhill. He wasn't paying attention.

With the weird businesses all over the internet it really could be anything I don't this city. I lived in this area years ago and didn't find it overly safe as it is close to downtown. Also close to hotels on major road Mcleod Trail

I wonder if the Ls had given their notice to vacate the rented premises, and if other prospective tenants had been shown through the house.

The press conference this afternoon broke my heart. Nathan's mom Jennifer, and his dad, Rod O'Brien, "spoke to" Nathan, to his grandma and grandpa. At one point, his dad said that Nathan was the glue that held his family together, that held the brothers together.

Nathan's uncle, Jeff Likness (Jennifer's brother), said that his parents (Alvin and Kathy Liknes) had bought a house in Edmonton. The general plan was, IIRC, that they would go to Edmonton, then to Mexico, and then return to Edmonton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...than-o-brien-5-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198

I wonder if the Ls had given their notice to vacate the rented premises, and if other prospective tenants had been shown through the house.

The house was sold in December 2013 to a lawyer and his wife. They were briefly on a video clip the day that the abduction was discovered and he quoted his wife as asking whether they wanted to move into this house. The house was sold and leased back. Earlier reports said that the family was moving out at the end of the month. If the sale was on June 28, 29, then end of the month and end of the lease probably meant midnight on July 1.

I think the house was bought by the lawyer because he intended to move into "Parkhill" with his family. It looks like a bit of an exclusive neighbourhood for lawyers, politicians, and medical examiners.

The house was sold for $703k in December. Realtors know that December is a slow month and April sales/prices go up. If this family didn't want to leave until July, why didn't they wait until July to sell and ride the annual real estate soaring prices? In the six months, they could have earned an extra $100k because they had a 50 foot lot. Developers want those lots to split and sell each for $800k, doubling their money. There's something unusual about this sale. Was a creditor pursuing on of the grandparents?

Long time lurker, first time poster here! I believe the connection to Canmore is possibly the friend mentioned in the article from: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/A...+mystery+their+hands+VIDEO/9989542/story.html

"Cherri Hodgins, Kathy Liknes' friend since junior high, was at the sale on Sunday. She last saw the couple that afternoon. "They were actually pretty happy," she said."

She is the executive director of the Canmore Daycare. The website for the daycare was created by....Quantum Klik. That is how I stumbled upon the connection. Perhaps she was bringing in the cupcake stand to the estate sale to sell it.

The press conference this afternoon broke my heart. Nathan's mom Jennifer, and his dad, Rod O'Brien, "spoke to" Nathan, to his grandma and grandpa. At one point, his dad said that Nathan was the glue that held his family together, that held the brothers together.

Nathan's uncle, Jeff Likness (Jennifer's brother), said that his parents (Alvin and Kathy Liknes) had bought a house in Edmonton. The general plan was, IIRC, that they would go to Edmonton, then to Mexico, and then return to Edmonton.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...than-o-brien-5-and-his-grandparents-1.2694198

His mother described how he followed his grandmother around the garage sale and reminded her to thank everyone. His father said that the older Nathan got, the kinder he became. The father described him as his first born with Nathan's mother (acknowledging that there is another first born, Lucas). Maximus is the youngest, who turns two in a couple of months.

Yes, good question. The number of people who had opportunity here is really unusual. I mean, so many people in and out of that house recently. So many chances to case the place, check out the goods, set the place up for your return, maybe even hide out. However, anyone who did this must have known they were going to find people home. Why not case one of the many empty houses in the area on this long weekend?!?

So I am trying to focus on motive. Money or revenge, it's got to he one of those two. I'll throw in a psychopath as a very distant third.

But the key has got to be in who exactly would take these people with them, dead or alive. Why??

Long time lurker, first time poster here! I believe the connection to Canmore is possibly the friend mentioned in the article from: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/A...+mystery+their+hands+VIDEO/9989542/story.html

"Cherri Hodgins, Kathy Liknes' friend since junior high, was at the sale on Sunday. She last saw the couple that afternoon. "They were actually pretty happy," she said."

She is the executive director of the Canmore Daycare. The website for the daycare was created by....Quantum Klik. That is how I stumbled upon the connection. Perhaps she was bringing in the cupcake stand to the estate sale to sell it.

So a high school friend paid her to build a website and also asked to advertise a wedding dessert display stand. That friend lives in Canmore ... or that is the Canmore connection?

I may have missed this, but do we know if Grandma & Grandpa are the only adults living in the home?

Most recent presser I could find, 27 minutes from today. A lot of tips and LE are feeling very confident they will be found. I don't know if this has been mentioned but I noticed in some of the pictures posted there is a sign advertising video surveillance posted on the property and on the door. Here's hoping it was working at the time and contains a lot of valuable information. MOO.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/07/0...arents-to-make-public-appeal-for-their-return

BML Security Inc. is the company.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Alberta/Edmonton/BML-Security/3013527.html

Attachments

• BML.jpg
    BML.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 599

Thank you, PennyM! Awesome work. And that also gives us some evidence that KL's website business did some legitimate work. I'm guessing Ms. Hodgins has a black lab and that mystery could be solved too.

Welcome and please continue the sleuthing!

Yes, good question. The number of people who had opportunity here is really unusual. I mean, so many people in and out of that house recently. So many chances to case the place, check out the goods, set the place up for your return, maybe even hide out. However, anyone who did this must have known they were going to find people home. Why not case one of the many empty houses in the area on this long weekend?!?

So I am trying to focus on motive. Money or revenge, it's got to he one of those two. I'll throw in a psychopath as a very distant third.

But the key has got to be in who exactly would take these people with them, dead or alive. Why??

That's a good question. Many people were away for the four day Canada Day weekend. If a random person was looking for an easy robbery target, why choose a house that is occupied? This was about the people that lived there ... I think. I think something went wrong with a business deal with one of the grandparents ... they were both dabbling in all sorts of companies with all sorts of professions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member