LA LA - Dead Zone (Louisiana, Texas and Arkansas)

Reaction score
Did anyone else see this press release:

Project Dead Zone is a quest for truth in Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas.

This area, dubbed the “Dead Zone,” has been the stomping ground for serial killers such as Robert Charles Brown and former truck driver James Wood.

The Dead Zone is an area believed to stretch from the northwest corner of Louisiana, bordering eastern Texas - and including parts of Arkansas since Arkansas is only a short distance north and sometimes referred to as the ‘Ark-La-Tex.’ There is a major highway running north-south to Shreveport as well as east-west (1-20) through Shreveport – a crossroad point for many travelers.

A great number of people – men, women and children have been lost in this zone – some been found murdered and others are still missing.

Here are some of the cases of missing persons in northwest Louisiana alone:

Bienville Parish
Robert Earl Davis, also known as “Mook,” 42, of Ringgold, last seen on Nov. 28, 2002, walking in the 700 block of Stateline Road five miles north of Ringgold. He has Down syndrome.

Caddo Parish
Kristi Gwen O’Pry, 36, was last seen July 19, 1996 at her sister’s house on Meriwether Road in Shreveport. She left the home around dusk to run errands with a friend who later said he dropped her off at what was then Southpark Mall and now Summer Grove Baptist Church.

April Brown, 44, was last seen at her home in Mooringsport on July 6, 2001. Family members said April left home about 9:30 p.m. with an unknown male driving an early ’90s model dark-colored Chevy Cavalier. The man she accompanied was described as white, about 6 feet tall and with brown hair over his ears and long side burns.

Claiborne Parish
Rodney Capers, 36, of Homer, last seen July 14 walking near the intersection of state Highway 531 and U.S. Highway 79 in Minden. He was carrying a Bible and backpack.

Bossier City
Penelope M. Madanat, 23, of Bossier City, last seen leaving Cowboys nightclub — now Rockin’ Rodeo — on Oct. 26, 1991.

Darrell M. Wells, 31, of Bossier City, last seen on Dec. 25, 2001, after leaving his parents’ home in Bossier City. His pickup was found five days later in a Bossier City parking lot near the Shreveport-Barksdale Bridge.

Bossier Parish
Clinton Nelson, 21, last was seen visiting friends Sept. 1 at a Princeton residence. He had moved from South Dakota to the Haughton area to stay with his father, his mother said. Nelson left behind a $2,000 paycheck and had no transportation, credit cards or financial means other than maybe a few dollars in cash.

Gregory Alonzo Vice, Jr., 23, of Princeton, last seen March 21, 2000, on state Highway 71 south of Bossier City. Detectives suspect foul play.

DeSoto Parish
Lurline Dewitt, 77, of Mansfield. Reported missing Sept. 27, 1996, after her son awoke to find her missing and a carport door open.

Syble Brumley, 76, of Mansfield. Was last seen April 28, 1997. Damage to the front door and items in disarray inside the house indicate she was taken by force.

Deshanna D. Gray, 28, also known as “DeeDee,” reported missing Nov. 22, 2000, from Logansport. Last seen getting into a truck with someone in the Japan Quarters.

Constance Anderson, 19, of South Mansfield. Reported missing Jan. 24. Last seen at her home. She left the house with her cell phone.
Natchitoches Parish

Wilson Demars, reported missing in June 1988 from Natchitoches Parish. Additional details are unavailable.

Kara Vaughn, 39, reported missing Nov. 11, 1993, from her mother’s residence in Natchitoches. Last seen in a 1978 Honda Civic with California license plates.

Michael Orsborn, 38, of Provencal. Last seen Jan. 31 about one mile from his residence. Car found in a ditch.

Project Dead Zone is book project spear-headed by Cold Case Investigations,

For more information about Project Dead Zone or to provide an anonymous tip email contact@coldcaseinvestigations.org or visit coldcaseinvestigations.org.

Does anyone have information on these cases?

Nope, didn't see the press release. Thanks for sharing. I'm surprised not to see Faye Aline Self on that list

Avery Evans, 11, Natchitoches, 5 Nov 1990 -- last seen selling candy door-to-door

Cory Marie Rubio, 24, Bossier City, 27 Jan 1999 -- possible domestic case; left behind a grieving mother and two daughters.

Eric Mickelson confessed to Kristi O'Pry's murder and dismemberment, though I don't believe he's been charged. He was convicted and sentenced to death in a similar murder of an elderly victim in Caddo Parish. Kristi's remains have never been found.
The healing process has finally begun for the families off Eric Mickelson's victims. Last week a Caddo Parish jury sentenced him to death for killing and cutting up the body 86-year-old Charlie Martin. The state also played a tape of Mickelson confessing to doing the same thing to a woman named Kristi O'Pry years earlier.
http://www.ksla.com/story/15231329/opry-daughter-speaks-out-after-mickelson-gets-death-penalty

Bessie, I'm having problems with message reply. Look at tweakers in parish preserve between Pitkin & Nathcitoches...northern section of No Man's Land.

I live in the Arklatex area in Texarkana and almost everyday in the newspaper under police report theres at least 1 person reported missing!!! I find that very strange. One day I counted 3 missing persons reported. Also Steve Jones has a page on here somewhere...... he has been missing about 2 years. I would like to learn more about these disappearances and murders-- the dead zone. It certainly fits.

I found the following information on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/theprojectdeadzone

Update on Project Dead Zone: In our last update, we shared a list of women and men who are listed missing in the defined "Dead Zone" area. Rodney Capers from Claiborne Parish was one of the men listed.

In our on-going research, we discovered that Rodney Capers, who was reported to have been last seen July 14, 2006 walking near the intersection of state Highway 531 and U.S. Highway 79 in Minden, was not listed in the NamUs database.

After hours of research, several phone calls, and determination, a quick-thinking advocate was able to track down Capers.

Now 44, Capers is living in Louisiana and reports to be doing well!

Wow.
That is the most disturbing and depressing map I have ever seen.
And I LOVE maps and globes.

View attachment 54700

A map I found of missing/unidentified people in Louisiana.
Link for the map you posted. http://identifyla.lsu.edu/

For those who don't know, this is an interactive map from the Louisiana Repository for Unidentified and Missing People website. Each marker represents one of the 64 parishes in Louisiana. Click a marker to see names of missing persons from the respective parish. Some cases go back to the 1960's, like Joseph Edwards for example.

Project Dead Zone volunteers are going through and adding additional missing people in that zone. I am sure Faye will be added.

I am helping with the project Dead Zone and one of the facebook administrators. My son is Clinton Nelson. If there are people we are missing, please send me the info and I will have it added.

Project Dead Zone volunteers are going through and adding additional missing people in that zone. I am sure Faye will be added.

Interesting.... More and more people go missing in my area Texarkana everyday. I have seen 2 - 3 missing persons listed in the police reports nearly everyday and it goes on and on. Where are they? What is happening to these people? I would say that many adds up and is significant.

Here is another one found in the dead zone........Jenelle Marie Gridley, aka "Pookie". 17 years old from Jefferson, Texas, she had gone missing the day before and did not make it far before she was murdered. Shortly before her disappearance, she was seen walking along Hwy 59 through Jefferson, Texas. She was found nude on the roadside in Ada, Louisiana approximately 40 miles away, near I20 on May 13, 1983. She was found near an exit ramp across the street from a truck stop by a truck driver. She had been raped, beaten, strangled and dumped just off the road in a wooded area. The area she was found in is rural and desolate. It is a very quiet and lonely place. Search the internet for her, you will find no mention of her name anywhere. She was imy cousin and it has been over 30 years with no leads or clues. I have made contact with the Sheriffs department and they do not even know if they still have the case files anymore. Nobody has looked at her case in a very long time and they did not even remember who I was asking about. It is as if her life never mattered, nobody cares that a girl was murdered and dumped on the road side like litter. Rest in peace Jenelle.

Here is another one found in the dead zone........Jenelle Marie Gridley, aka "Pookie". 17 years old from Jefferson, Texas, she had gone missing the day before and did not make it far before she was murdered. Shortly before her disappearance, she was seen walking along Hwy 59 through Jefferson, Texas. She was found nude on the roadside in Ada, Louisiana approximately 40 miles away, near I20 on May 13, 1983. She was found near an exit ramp across the street from a truck stop by a truck driver. She had been raped, beaten, strangled and dumped just off the road in a wooded area. The area she was found in is rural and desolate. It is a very quiet and lonely place. Search the internet for her, you will find no mention of her name anywhere. She was imy cousin and it has been over 30 years with no leads or clues. I have made contact with the Sheriffs department and they do not even know if they still have the case files anymore. Nobody has looked at her case in a very long time and they did not even remember who I was asking about. It is as if her life never mattered, nobody cares that a girl was murdered and dumped on the road side like litter. Rest in peace Jenelle.

What can I do to help?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

I am helping with the project Dead Zone and one of the facebook administrators. My son is Clinton Nelson. If there are people we are missing, please send me the info and I will have it added.

Wondering what the status of this project/research/"Hunt" for Prospective Culprits, is currently (12/19/17)?

I'm hoping that, because you previously posted you were involved, that you might supply some feedback on its status?...

Thank You in advance for any update you are willing to provide. I hope this note makes it to you.[emoji4]

Regardless, I hope that you and yours have a Safe, Healthy, and Happy, 2017 Holiday Season...

The TRUTH WILL OUT!, and There will be a Reckoning, in this Life or the Next!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back