NY - Frankea Dabbs charged w/ leaving baby in NYC subway, 2014

As bad as abandoning her child is, at least she didn't harm the baby and also ensured the baby would be found. Too bad some others didn't go this route rather than kill their child.

I would be sooooo tempted to just bring it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be sooooo tempted to just bring it home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know. If only life were that simple. I remember when I was a teen and there was a rash of babies lift on doorsteps in our area, I heard my mother mutter, "I wish someone would leave a baby on our doorstep!"

As bad as abandoning her child is, at least she didn't harm the baby and also ensured the baby would be found. Too bad some others didn't go this route rather than kill their child.

Yes - she should be commened. What a great mom, not killing the baby and all.

These are the times when living under the glare of cameras is a comfort. Really clear picture of her. Fire station, police station, hospital safe places to leave babies. All the safeguards we (society) put in place and still these stories. OK I'm getting down off my soap box. Jmo

ciao
Eta hopefully this young woman gets some type of help before she has another child.

These are the times when living under the glare of cameras is a comfort. Really clear picture of her. Fire station, police station, hospital safe places to leave babies. All the safeguards we (society) put in place and still these stories. OK I'm getting down off my soap box. Jmo

ciao
Eta hopefully this young woman gets some type of help before she has another child.

I am totally with you, but do any of those safe places accept six month olds?

Though it really does make me wonder, unless she has absolutely nobody, somebody is going to figure out the baby is gone. Why not hit up an adoption agency?

Wait, New York is only 30 days. My state is only 3.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Baby-Stroller-Abandoned-Subway-Columbus-Circle-266086611.html

From above linked article:

Frankea Dabbs , who is believed to be homeless, was charged early Tuesday with a felony charge of abandoning a child and committing actions injurious to a child, which is a misdemeanor.

Police released surveillance video of a woman pushing the child through a subway turnstile and, acting on a tip early Tuesday, found Dabbs at a Starbucks at 71st Street and Broadway. She was taken into custody for questioning and arrested several hours later.

I'm glad the child is alive and in good condition. I wish safe haven laws were extended to a year+. They are only up to a year in very few states.

I found this link:

http://www.nationalsafehavenalliance.org/states/

If you click on each state, you'll see how long parents have. I think the longest timeframes are only in North Dakota and Missouri - up to one year. There could be others.

I am going to maybe get bashed for this but, I don't think she should have gotten a felony for this. I know she has previous convictions. However, I think these sorts of harsh penalties encourage desperate people to do desperate and often horrible things. Get her some counseling and some way to get OFF THE STREETS. This woman and her child are homeless in NYC. That is terrifying.

....I too would have been SO TEMPTED to take her home. I can't conceive anymore due to a health issue. :( I know that makes me a little nutty.

I am going to maybe get bashed for this but, I don't think she should have gotten a felony for this. I know she has previous convictions. However, I think these sorts of harsh penalties encourage desperate people to do desperate and often horrible things. Get her some counseling and some way to get OFF THE STREETS. This woman and her child are homeless in NYC. That is terrifying.

....I too would have been SO TEMPTED to take her home. I can't conceive anymore due to a health issue. :(

I know that makes me a little nutty.

No bashing here. I totally agree with you.it should be easier for birth parents to anonymously give up a child w/o fear of being found out or punishment. This coming from an adoptee with strong feelings about the right to know.

....I too would have been SO TEMPTED to take her home. I can't conceive anymore due to a health issue. :( I know that makes me a little nutty.

I can see how she would be overwhelmed being homeless and having witnessed the father's murder.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back