GUILTY CT - Benjamin Seitz, 15 mos, dies in hot car, Ridgefield, 7 July 2014

zwiebel

Reaction score
'A 15-month-old boy has died after being left unattended in a hot car on Monday, according to police in Ridgefield, Connecticut.

Police learned of the incident around 6 p.m. Monday, according to Capt. Jeff Kreitz.

It's not clear exactly how long the boy was inside the parked car, but Kreitz said in a news release he was there for "an extended period of time."

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...-Left-in-Hot-Car-in-Ridgefield-266229041.html

'Police declined to answer questions surrounding the death, including how long the child was left in the car and whether a window was rolled down. Temperatures in the area on Monday reached 87 degrees.'

http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014...hot-car-parked-in-affluent-connecticut-town#2

I know. If I ruled the world, I'd make it illegal to leave any living creature in a stopped vehicle, at any time.

I've had run-ins with two very stupid pet owners/drivers about leaving their dogs in hot cars - they remember the temp the vehicle was at when they were in it, driving, with the air con on. I got some person who 'thought their dog was fine for 15 mins in a stopped car' to sit in the car with a heavy coat on. They got out after five.

This is simply heartbreaking :cry:

I am unable to understand how this can happen - yet again :no:

:rose:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Read a post of Facebook today the suggest the Shoe Method for never forgetting your child in the car seat. You remove your left shoe and put it with the baby's seat. (or a cell phone would be a good idea too, iPad, kindle, nook, hell throw it all back there).

That way you will always remember your shoe, and your child. I thought it made a lot of sense. Many people don't have the intent to hurt their children. They forget. Everyone says they would never forget. I know some people that i think could pretty easily forget due to ADD and hyper-focuing.

So, I guess leaving your baby in a hot car is the new trend? Just disgusting.

How in the world through all of the headlines that have been on the news about this, could you go and do the very same thing? This is happening way too frequently to be accidental. It's because they do it intentionally, imo. :( You just leave a poor innocent baby in a car to cook to death, because you're at wits end or whatever the hell else. It's no excuse :( I don't mean to be offensive, but if I strap my son in his booster seat and I know I have to go to work, and he has to go to daycare-then I know that's my first stop! How do you forget that and just drive straight to work?! How do you forget a baby, I just can't understand it. I am sick.

I know. If I ruled the world, I'd make it illegal to leave any living creature in a stopped vehicle, at any time.

I've had run-ins with two very stupid pet owners/drivers about leaving their dogs in hot cars - they remember the temp the vehicle was at when they were in it, driving, with the air con on. I got some person who 'thought their dog was fine for 15 mins in a stopped car' to sit in the car with a heavy coat on. They got out after five.

bbm

I wish you ruled the world.

Kelly

Another baby left in their fathers car while he goes to work. I've read other reports saying he drove the baby to Danbury Hospital and the hospital notified the police. So my question is he finds his son after an 'Extended period of time' and doesn't call 911? Sad times in our society.

http://www.theridgefieldpress.com/32609/infant-who-died-in-car-was-left-while-father-went-to-work/

"The 15-month-old Ridgefield boy who died in a hot car was left in the car by his father when he went to work, police said Wednesday morning."

Well this dad drove to the hospital.... since I believe he (dad) should be charged with negligence, I don't think I'm picking on a victim by speculating here....

Parents everywhere who wish for "accidents" need only look at other cases and figure out what to do differently -- I remember several pages of discussion in CH thread regarding hospitals in proximity of "discovery."

I hope it really was an accident, but still NO excuse. None.

JMO

I really do not understand why a parent should need to put their shoes in the back of car in order NOT to forget and possibly KILL their baby. Somehow...people need to stop multi-tasking so damned much and focus on the chores at hand. Stop texting, tweeting and taking selfies and pay attention to the road and those in your care in the vehicle. I am fed up with ideas on how to keep from doing this. It should never have happened even once, ever.

And don't get me started on pets, as I believe this is done on purpose and without even a thought for the animal. The person wants to go to the store, hairdresser, etc and does not not want the bother of taking the pet home first, IMO.

How does he forget a normal part of his routine? And why not call 911? Who can help him do CPR?

I'm not getting these cases.

Read a post of Facebook today the suggest the Shoe Method for never forgetting your child in the car seat. You remove your left shoe and put it with the baby's seat. (or a cell phone would be a good idea too, iPad, kindle, nook, hell throw it all back there).

That way you will always remember your shoe, and your child. I thought it made a lot of sense. Many people don't have the intent to hurt their children. They forget. Everyone says they would never forget. I know some people that i think could pretty easily forget due to ADD and hyper-focuing.

not popular opinion, but.....
i find it impossible for anyone to ever [legitimately] forget a child in a car. just completely forget of their existence. if they need something to remind them they have a child in their presence - then maybe they should not have a child in their care.

I like the way her boyfriend - who wasn't even there, takes offence and says the babies are 'doing okay' - doesn't give any credit to the police who got them out of the hot car.

I thought of this but found it has already been developed...

The NASA device, inspired by aircraft flight test technology, uses precision materials and electronics to sense when a child is seated in a car infant or booster seat after the driver has left the vehicle.

Called a Child Presence Sensor, the device was developed at NASA's Langley Research Center, Hampton, Va. The research center is looking for a commercial partner to further develop and market a product based on the technology.

"I wanted something that would serve as a second set of eyes and ears, something that could easily and inexpensively be retrofitted to existing child car seats," said principal inventor, William "Chris" Edwards of NASA Langley's Laser Systems Branch.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/releases/2002/02-008.html

Thanks for the ref, Harmony2.

Did anyone notice this article was from Feb. 2002, 12 yrs ago?
Apparently no takers to manuf. this idea?
I read (no link) that such a device would not be 'accepted' by the genpub, or parents, as many would view it as 'macabre'
or see purchasing it the devices as admittingto being 'bad' parents.
But some would say the same about baby/infant/toddler car seats.
Second, issue of manuf liability for technical failure.

Poor babies.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2014/07/10/hot-car-child-deaths-tennessee-new-law

God bless the state of Tennessee!

No 911 calls, no CPR, went to lunch with dead baby in the car.

Uh huh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back