TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #2

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
***WARNING*** Description is graphic.

- Short blonde hair. Naked in the weeds,
- lying on her right side, back bent, arms tied behind her with plaid cloth.
- Her eyes are slightly open, and her head is pushed far back...
- her blouse tied around her mouth and neck.
- Her throat has several almond shaped cuts.
- There is a puncture wound below her small left breast.
- Blood is here and there.
- Her right leg is straight
- her left knee is drawn almost to her waist.
- both vaginal and anal penetration
- Her buttocks are nearly black from the bruises.
- What clothes weren’t used to bind and gag her are crumpled beside her.
- a little glove with a checkered, Christmasy design
- Her coat lies in front of her
- white underwear are wadded on the ground against her chest
- Scattered on the grass are her purse and a deck of her playing cards.
- Beside her thigh, on its wheels, ready to be picked up and put on, is a clean, white, leather roller skate.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

Thread #1

Sorry to be late to the discussion,

Just so I have the facts straight

Left home, Nov 19, found Dec 2 , coroner feels she was killed Dec 1

Arms, bound behind her back with a Plaid material, yet her own clothes, were used to gag her, and in the case of her sock suffocate the victim

She's found discarded in tall grass, behind a Krispy Kreme donuts.

Several stab sounds to neck one under her left breast, possibly post mortem?

Evidence of prolonged, abuse, (IE severe bruising on her buttocks) .. and I believe December said bruises elsewhere

The rape included vaginal and anal penetration.
Kathy went missing on the evening of November 29, 1969, the same day as Glenda Sirmans.

The plaid cloth was torn from the lining of her jacket.

I'm quoting my own post with a list of the facts taken primarily from media reports.

To complete this list I'm adding what we already knew from the article.

• Kathy Jones was a blonde, blue-eyed sixth grader
  • Her body was found 300 yards from the Roller Drome Skating Rink on Thompson Lane.
  • Kathy "apparently" was dead since Saturday night
  • She "probably" was attacked while walking to the skating rink.
  • She "apparently" suffocated
  • A sock was stuffed down her throat
  • Her blouse was "shoved into her mouth"
  • Lying face down in the tall weeds behind Krispy Kreme
  • A "faint trace of blood" on her stomach
  • She was wearing only one sock
  • A Civil Defense sergeant made the discovery
  • The Civil Defense team started searching Sunday night
  • A resident who lived next to the lot didn't hear unusual noises on Saturday night. She was away visiting relatives all day on Sunday.
  • Kathy left home headed to the skating rink at 7:45 P.M. on Saturday evening
  • "...an investigation disclosed" that she didn't make it to the rink.
  • A Metro policeman at the scene declared, "There had to be at least three persons involved in this." (Keep in mind, this is not an official statement. The officer didn't want to be identified, and it reads like an initial gut reaction. He goes on to say he would "probably want to kill" the persons responsible if he could catch them.)
  • K's nude body was lying 20' from the alley.
  • It couldn't be seen by searchers walking down the alley or the street.
  • Her skates and clothing were lying at her feet. (This description differs somewhat from the one reported by the Scene.)
  • K's blouse was used as a gag.
  • Two strips of cloth torn from the lining of her jacket were used to tie her wrists. (Answers the question about the plaid cloth some speculated might belong to the killer.)
  • Spectators were kept away from the scene while LE searched for clues.
  • According to an investigator, it "appeared" the sexual attack had taken place at the scene where K's body was found
  • The body was taken to a funeral home after an investigator from the DA's office arrived on the scene.
  • Kathy left home by herself intending to walk to the skating rink.
  • She had not been there for "some time" because "she didn't want her two little brothers following her."
  • K's mom told the Banner that K earned $1.00 by helping her with housework on Saturday.
  • LE didn't say if the money was found at the scene.
  • K was not "to the nylon-lipstick stage", according to her mother.
  • After being taken to the funeral home, Metro M.E., Dr. T. E. Simpkins, was expected to perform "a detailed examination and possible autopsy". (This is not the same doctor we talked about earlier who was named in this article, http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=yHkcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=fFEEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6723%2C2584619)
  • LE at the scene said it was obvious K had been "criminally assaulted, probably before she was slain".
  • Parents were separated; father lived in Clarksville.
  • The plan was for K to call her mom when she finished skating, and her mom would pick her up.
  • When K didn't call, her mom went to the rink, but it was closed.
  • After hearing from Mrs. Jones that K had never run away, had no problems at home, and had told her mom she'd call when she was finished skating, the CD director ordered the unit to search.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9dpNu3jLO3tel9ab3o4WHlBYzQ&usp=sharing

ETA: Adding links

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294

Here's a comment from a WS member, December, who is related to Kathy. She hasn't been here in a while. IIRC sexual assault was confirmed but its uncertain what evidence is still available, if any, for DNA testing. December was hoping to meet with Nashville PD, but had not been able to see any files on the case.

Nashville LE believes the perp is in prison, they have an idea who he is. The family had their own idea of a suspect as well, a man they knew but with whom they were not on friendly terms. One of the suspects lived fairly close to the crime scene.

Thanks Betty

Without any crime scene photos to work with I have to base my opinion just on what we do have here.

I don't think this was a planned, abduction, I think it was an opportunistic grab.

The offender wasn't really prepared for the abduction, hence why he had to use her own clothing to bind, and gag her.

Unfortunately this beautiful girl seems to have fallen victim, to the offenders perception, of injustice (real or imagined) against him... Namely Anger

I feel there was most likely a precipitating event that "set him off"

Though the offender inflicted a lot of pain upon her, the forced anal and vaginal rape, the marks on her buttocks, the callous indifference, it seems more indicative of anger (rage) than sadism, whereas id expect to see more torture style injuries, over a longer period of time.

Possibly with a slower more enduring style of killing the victim, commonly seen is sadistic killings, ex .. (repeated strangulation/release etc..)

In terms of physical violence visited upon the victim, the stabbing of the victim, tells volumes, this would be a different analysis if it were post mortem mutilation, however I feel the post mortem stabbing of the victim, which is evident by lack of blood flow to those injuries, demonstrates, that pretty, well.. he wasn't done with her, he felt the need, to take more out on her body, even though she was most likely deceased.

Another factor to consider, is that this individual might not have known she was deceased, when he decided to stab, her, furthering the notion, that this was a first time murder.

I don't think you'll find similar crimes in his background, for example, he didn't seem to know how to control a child though id certainly expect to see some prison time, for other crimes like assault, threats, theft, things along that line.

A history of a prison sentence, can also sometimes, evident by anal rape

I wouldn't however rule out further attacks, after this one, though not immediately .

Hell most likely be blue collar, lives or works, near where she was abducted, is at least familiar with where she was dumped.

If he has any military background id expect to see a dishonorable discharge, for behavioral issues, like, insubordination

I ll go one further, and say that there was most likely someone who knows, or at least strongly suspects, he was involved.

I think he would've been interviewed by police, and would've shown a lot of post offensive behavior.. increased use of alcohol or drugs , changing of appearance, unusual interest in the case, and possibly a sudden unexplained move to another area. He may even have confided, in someone about it,

Given this is all speculative, given that we were going off news reports.

Here's a comment from a WS member, December, who is related to Kathy. She hasn't been here in a while. IIRC sexual assault was confirmed but its uncertain what evidence is still available, if any, for DNA testing. December was hoping to meet with Nashville PD, but had not been able to see any files on the case.
When detectives were interviewed in 2009, they were optimistic about obtaining a profile of the perp's DNA. Today, a profile can be created from a very small amount of DNA material as compared to the past. Then it's a question of matching it to a known profile.
[snipped]
"We'd actually looked at the evidence in the Kathy Jones case during some of the preliminary DNA testing, but with the advances that we have today, certainly that's a possibility," said Miller.

[snipped]
"As long as we have advancing technology as we do we're going to attempt to go forward with these cases.

[snipped]
Investigators said the Kathy Jones case seems to be most promising when it came to getting the DNA profile of the killer.

Nashville LE believes the perp is in prison, they have an idea who he is. The family had their own idea of a suspect as well, a man they knew but with whom they were not on friendly terms. One of the suspects lived fairly close to the crime scene.
The first suspect was Adcox, the bus driver who's now deceased. He was actually arrested, but there wasn't enough evidence to build a case, so he was released. He remained a suspect at least as late as 2009.

In 1998, Det. Miller stated he didn't think the bus driver was responsible. He was certain another man was the killer. I've always wondered how that panned out, and whether the unnamed person is a suspect today.

[snipped]
Miller said Adcox admitted to a lot of things he had done over the years, but the Jones killing wasn’t one of them. In addition, Miller says he and other detectives began developing some information on another subject.
“Myself and Detective Postiglione started going through the files and looking into the evidence and actually ran some polygraphs.”

[snipped]
The evidence they uncovered, Miller believes, is solid. So solid, in fact, that it led to the killer. Miller cannot say what that evidence is. “At this point in time, we feel certain we know who killed her.... This man is living in Nashville and works every day.”

[snipped]
“We haven’t completely given up on the case.” Miller says. “We’re hoping someone will come forward with a little information that will help us bring him to justice.”

[snipped]
“There is at least one person who we have tried to get to talk to us who could possibly provide us with enough information to get this guy, but I’m not sure they’re ever going to feel comfortable in doing that.”

Eight years after the murder police charged a man with Jones' killing, but dropped the charges later. Police said he was still a suspect.
"Kathy Jones was reported missing on Nov. 29, and her body was found Dec. 2, 1969," Postiglione said.

Twelve-year-old Kathy headed off for the roller rink but never made it there. "She was found in the alley on Grandview Avenue in a vacant lot with her roller skates still with her," Postiglione said.

Officers found the girl bound, gagged and sexually assaulted.
Police later arrested Edward Adcox, a convicted rapist, who they said bragged to other inmates about killing her, but the case fell apart when he changed his story.

"I was not guilty on the murder. I've never killed anybody in my life. I just can't stand the sight of blood, myself," Adcox said in a Channel 4 News interview at the time.
http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

Hi, I am sorry to be away so long.

LE has interviewed hundreds of men. So, very likely they did interview the murderer.

They also interviewed many people they knew weren't the murderer in order to get their impressions of this crime. Some of these people must have known the murderer.

Definite on sexual assault. I wish there was doubt, but there is not.

Yes... I took a break... I'm sorry, I have some things happening.

Thank you for your kind words about Kathy. I didn't know her, but she was much beloved by my family.

edit.. this is to belfastgirl73

Thanks Mrs T..=.;)

I didn't see the suspect list, I usually would rather not know a suspect, prior to investigation, because even seasoned investigators will start to adhere that suspect to what we do know ... its better off to start with the evidence and let it point you in the right direction.

I believe it as most likely a stranger homicide, by an individual who had something happen to trigger his rage, she was there, and he was going to use her to take out his frustration.

Pat Postligone did exactly what you mentioned. He read the file without thinking about the suspects the other detectives found. He spent quite some time on this due to my cousin (Kathy's aunt) personally calling him. She has since died and he has retired.

He came up with the same list of people, I think.

A stranger might be someone who has seen Kathy around and is kind of connected to her.. like Adcox.

Welcome to this thread RichKelly!!

I am still wondering about the second suspect that the detective seemed confident was the killer, the possibility of new DNA tests, and this Darryl that the family mentions.

IDK what happened with that... some things have changed since Micky Miller talked to the Scene, i think.. but IDK details. He did personally spend time on the case, however.

Very welcome

OH Im willing to bet there's more than someone with just a "gut feeling" I'm willing to bet the police, have interviewed him already.

That he was a good suspect, but there was something that prevented them from linking it .

I'm pretty sure he's been in prison before, most likely for something violent , and those close to him would've most likely had their suspicions , and id bet they were pretty strong ones too. He may've actually confided in someone

He lives or works near where she was abducted.

there was most likely something that pissed him off prior to the homicide, loss of job, problems at home etc...

He'd be following it almost like an unusual interest in this case, would appear anxious and "not himself" to those close to him immediately following the crime, would've had unexplained blood on his person, and may've gotten rid of the clothes he was wearing the night Kathy was killed .. He may drink more or use drugs more if he was as user.

I wouldn't rule out further, violent actions by this individual

One person almost prosecuted is a known (convicted, went to prison) child rapist. Adcox, the now deceased bus driver. My father always thought Adcox did it due to him threatening the little boy.

Been taking a little break and just catching back up on Kathy's thread. So happy to have verified LE join the discussion and offer thoughts. Welcome RichKelly and thank you for your expertise. We have such amazing people on this site.

Praying today for justice for Kathy. Thinking that this case should be featured on one of the many ID channel shows. Maybe if Kathy's story is shared to a national audience that one person who has always had a gut feeling that they know who did this will come forward. :please:

Thank you for thinking of Kathy.

When detectives were interviewed in 2009, they were optimistic about obtaining a profile of the perp's DNA. Today, a profile can be created from a very small amount of DNA material as compared to the past. Then it's a question of matching it to a known profile. http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294

The first suspect was Adcox, the bus driver who's now deceased. He was actually arrested, but there wasn't enough evidence to build a case, so he was released. He remained a suspect at least as late as 2009.

In 1998, Det. Miller stated he didn't think the bus driver was responsible. He was certain another man was the killer. I've always wondered how that panned out, and whether the unnamed person is a suspect today.

Somehow I missed Pat Postligone outright saying Kathy never made it to the skating rink. I don't think he would say that without there being evidence in her file of this. Whereas Mickey Miller might have been speaking directly to the suspect in some of his quotes (in a veiled manner). MOo

The murderer dumped out her purse and so maybe he just picked up the money she had out of the things he strewed around.

Thank you for thinking of Kathy and thank you of thinking of me.

Edit... this is in answer to Veidt.

Were they able to confirm sexual assault?

Yes. Vaginal and anal. I hate writing that... They did an examination of her, the crime scene, and some type of autopsy. The current detective has read it so it's there. I don't know the difference between a 1969 autopsy and one the would be more modern... but ... anyway, they still have a lot of her stuff like her clothes. Her file is a banker's box, then there is more stuff... Every detective signs what they worked on so a new detective can see easily who has been through the box.

December, thank you for your good wishes regarding my flu! I didn't get it but I'm feeling sickly all the time. I hope you're feeling better yourself. :cupcake:

I haven't made much progress in reading the thread though I hope I will over the next few days.

I have a question, I don't know if I've asked this before but... why is there the theory that Kathy could have been abducted from inside the rink or on the way back?

From what I understand she was meeting her friends. I believe that if she had met them, we would know, because part of the investigation would be asking the last people who saw her alive and... if they had seen her, that info would be divulged since it would narrow down the time frame of the crime. Or maybe they kept it quiet on purpose to bait the perp?

I think that since we don't know, it's likely the friends never saw her, so, what they said was never made public because they didn't say anything that narrowed it down. Maybe it happened when she was on the way there. Or perhaps, she was already inside the rink but the perp found her before she could meet up with her friends.

I also wonder if the reason why we don't know about whether her friends saw her is that maybe she didn't arrange to meet any specific friends but just friends in general who would have been there? When I was a kid, sometimes my friends and I didn't arrange to meet anywhere, we just went to our usual hang out and found each other there. So maybe it was just something everyone knew, that they would meet each other at the rink because it was the place to be. Or maybe her friends were friends she made at the rink instead of at school or her street, so she just expected to meet up with them there. I hope this makes sense. Maybe that's why we don't know about whether her friends saw her, because we don't know which friends would have been there, or even if any friends were there or ended up arriving earlier or later or staying home because there weren't definite plans and just the assumption she'd probably run into friends while there.

:twocents:

I think the theory of 'maybe she did get there' came about exactly why you said... maybe she was just going there and figured people she knew (friends) would be there.

But, apparently Pat Postligone, a very renowned detective... now retired, says she never got there. He has gone through her file with great care, so maybe there is somehow evidence she never got there? IDK...

I'm still reading through this thread as you can tell from this post.

I just looked this up to check. I have found this: http://www.nashville.gov/Register-of-Deeds/Receive-Document-Copies/By-email.aspx .

I don't know if this is the same as tax property records, however from what I understand it's property deeds. I think this would tell you who owned what. You can request documents to be sent to you via e-mail (it's the page I quoted), snail mail, fax, or get them in person.

Just a few thoughts about this:

- This is paid. It's cheap since it's only a few dollars per document but it would probably add up when trying to check who owned the Krispy Kreme and the roller skating rink. So it wouldn't really tell us who owned every property in the area. But it's a start and I think it would be worth it.

- The site has another service, which is a subscription where you can view all documents on your browser for a set fee. Maybe someone on the forum might have a subscription and be able to look up the registry for the houses and for other businesses in the area. I know a few members have memberships on records websites.

- There's another thing I'd like to point out. I don't know enough about legal records, much less US ones, to know this. However where I live, you don't have to own the space where you run a business. I don't know if I'm explaining this right, but for example, let's say I wanted to start a book shop and call it Books. I'd own Books but I could just rent a place for Books. Like when people own a company and rent an office, or when the adults of a family rent a house. I don't know if such a thing would come up in property deeds but I guess it would. I also think that the roller rink location would probably be owned by the owner of the business itself. I don't know about Krispy Kreme, however the name sounds familiar to me from American TV and movies, so I think it might be a chain shop and where I live large chains are more likely to own their venues.
We actually found who owned the skating rink and he had an insulation business right beside it (as well as other businesses). He sold it and it has changed hands several times. Krispy Kreme is and was a chain. The road was widened, so I think it moved somewhat since 1969. I have actually been inside the very location Kathy would have visited back before they changed it (decades later)

I just noticed it's the anniversary of Kathy's disappearance. :(

(Well... it is where I live since I can't sleep. But by the time most of you read this it will be November 29 for you as well.)

It's sad that it's been 44 years and this case still hasn't been solved. :sigh: I hope it's solved eventually and that maybe next year, someone who knows something about the case comes forward. My thoughts are with you December, I hope you and your family get the closure you need soon.

---

Another thing I've seen mentioned a few times is that it was Thanksgiving Weekend when she disappeared so more people might be visiting town that normally would live elsewhere.

I don't how Thanksgiving weekend works so I have a few questions, I hope that's ok.

I looked up the 1969 calendar here: http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=1969&country=1

It says Thanksgiving was on November 27, a Thursday. So I assume Thanksgiving weekend would be that day, then Friday (28), Saturday (29), and Sunday (30). Maybe also the Wednesday before (26) for people to travel out to their families.

Would Thanksgiving weekend also include the following Monday (December 1)? It seems odd to me somehow, that Thanksgiving Weekend would end up including so many days after Thanksgiving proper and beyond the weekend.

Kathy disappeared on Saturday, November 29. Then she was missing and was found on December 2, with reports indicating the coroner said she had been killed on December 1.

So for her to have been killed on December 1, and then for her body to have been left behind the Krispy Kreme between then and the next day, I think it may not have been someone from out of town. I assume that people who were from out of town would have had to go home on Sunday at the latest to go back to work on Monday.

It sounds to me like Thanksgiving is a bit like Christmas, in that people go to visit their families or in-laws. Am I correct? Someone who was from out of town and abducted Kathy would probably need to be able to hide it from the people they were staying with. This is what comes to mind:

a) Someone who had the means to have his own house in Nashville while also living somewhere else, so they wouldn't have to stay as guests at a whole family's house. Maybe someone who was single. Or someone who stayed in that separate house with their wife and children, but was very good at hiding things from them or was so abusive they didn't ask questions.

b) Someone who was renting a motel room or a flat for the holidays. Was that common in 1960s Nashville? I don't think a hotel, B&B, etc. would be likely, since even if the perp was confident about lying and pretending Kathy was his daughter, it would have been harder to hide her and to keep her identity hidden once the townspeople heard about the case. Someone would have come forward from among the staff, IMO. So if the perp was renting a place for Thanksgiving, it would have to be a question where less staff would be checking in on the guests.

c) Someone who grew up in the area, and as such, knew of hiding spots or even had an accomplice. Maybe even something like this, the perp has a childhood friend who still lives in Nashville but is away visiting in-laws, so the perp and asks to borrow the friend's house for a couple of days, maybe even for a fake reason. Or maybe someone who has very old relatives in a nursing home or who don't ask many questions, so the perp can have his childhood home all to himself, or at least sneak around without his family noticing.

This is just what I think. I believe that someone who didn't grow up there and was just visiting in-laws, unless he was very familiar with the area by now, would have a harder time finding a place to hide Kathy.

Another important factor that comes to mind: were certain careers more or less likely to give someone that Monday and/or Tuesday some time off? Because if someone was still in town by then, provided what I said about people having to go back to their jobs on Monday is correct, then that could narrow it down somewhat if we're looking into the theory that someone who was in Nashville only temporarily did it.

Could it have been the reverse? Someone who works in Nashville lies and says he's going to be out of town to visit his family, but stays right there.

Sorry if this is very long or if any of this has been repeated, I'm trying to process all the info!

There is a motel nearby (or was in 1969). It was on the other side of the RR bridge. Motel means it'd be easier to come and go without interacting with staff.

Back then, many people would stay with family. But many of the nearby houses aren't that big so a person might decide to stay at the motel instead of crowding in a small house.

Some people thought they saw Kathy on Sunday, but police do not think she could be out walking on Sunday. I know you didn't mention that, but at first Kathy was considered to be a runaway. So it was a shock to find her dead. But, instead some short time after leaving her house, Kathy lost control of her actions altogether.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kac313
Back