Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 June 2014 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
BBM.
Nothing that would be considered a forest. There may be a few trees/bushes near the Elbow River, though. But not enough to conceal a body or bodies.
The crime scene is pretty close to the downtown area.

Anyone who is more local can probably give better insight than me.
I don't live in Calgary, but I do have general knowledge about the city.

Google streetview shows this at the end of their street (about 4 houses down from the Liknes' home):

It's the Elbow River Pathway (iirc) that runs alongside the river.

AMBER Alert issued for missing five-year-old from Calgary

Calgary police are investigating the disappearance of a five-year-old child and his grandparents from a home in the southwest and issued an AMBER Alert on Monday afternoon.

Police were called to a home in the 100 block of 38A Avenue SW at about 10:00 a.m. Monday by a mother who went to the home to pick up her son who was staying with his grandparents.

The three were not at the residence and have not been located despite efforts by police.

Investigators say evidence at the scene suggests their disappearance may be suspicious.
full article:
http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/amber-alert-issued-for-missing-five-year-old-from-calgary-1.1893711

Thread#1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

*Media, Maps & Timeline*

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ia-Maps-amp-Timeline*&p=10713927#post10713927

Rules Etiquette & Information:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...iquette-amp-Information&p=8364858#post8364858

DRAFT TIMELINE JULY 11, 2014

1948 Alvin Cecil Liknes born (Alvin, AL)

1960 Douglas Garland born (DG)

1961 Kathryn Faye Liknes (Kathryn, KL, KFL) born

1980s Alvin involved in civil lawsuit(s) in 80s and 90s

1980 October 27(?) Matthew Kemper Hartley and his sister Jill died as a result of a car crash near Cardston, AB

1989 approx year Alvin and Kathryn married

1990s Alvin involved in civil lawsuit(s) in 80s and 90s

1992 October 23 drug raid at Garland farm. LE found beakers, Bunsen burners and boxes of chemicals used in the manufacture of meth. Evidence was also located at a rented facility in Crossfield, AB. DG disappeared for 7 years after the raid

1992 DG commenced working at Can Test chemical testing lab in Vancouver where he went on to supervise 15 chemists and technicians. At the same time he was also a lab auditor for the B.C. government, checking for quality assurance at various testing facilities. (Unclear if this last sentence pertains to the 1992-1997 job or the subsequent job)

1994 AL declared bankruptcy (business or personal?)

1997 DG finished working at Can Test

1998 October, DG arrested in Richmond BC in connection with a stolen tractor trailer unit

1999 May 31, DG arrested in Vancouver BC; had been working as a chemical mixer at the B.C. Institute of Technology under the name of deceased Matthew Kemper Hartley. Charges of impersonation, trafficking in a controlled substance, theft over $5,000, possession of break-in instruments, possession of property obtained by crime over $5,000 and obstructing a police officer. Described by LE as a genius; he had studied science at the Univ of Alberta with plans to become a doctor. He left school without finishing a degree, and had disappeared after the raid 1992 at his parents’ property.

2000 Alvin was the respondent in 2 civil law suits

2006 January 2, Alvin Liknes’ daughter, EAL shot by ex-common-law husband, 61 yo Fernando Chora in Okotoks, AB. Chora (represented by Calgary lawyer, Adriano Iovinelli) was acquitted of assault, but found guilty of fleeing the scene and 2 weapons charges and sentenced to 4 years with credit for time served. During the trial, Chora told the judge that he had provided EAL with a great deal of money because of a criminal lifestyle. He said he left that lifestyle behind when he moved out of his Kamloops BC home with EAL and moved to Vulcan AB.

He said he still carried a gun because he had enemies who may want to hurt him.

2008 AL’s company Blue Sky Oil and Gas Corp, involved with natural gas production, was registered in Nevada. Filings indicate Blue Sky was in merger discussions with a Florida company called Whitemark Homes Inc. As a result of the housing crash, Whitemark had proposed to take up resource development

2009 DG's charged with "failure to yield to a pedestrian" and subsequent fine of $575

2009 August 24, JO (nee JP-L) and RO married; Nathan born this year

2012 KL ceased being a licenced realtor (as per Real Estate Council of Alberta in 2014 who said she had not been practising for two years)

2012 KL declared personal bankruptcy (it was also noted that RO declared bankruptcy "a couple of years ago", but date has not been verified, so whether 2012 or otherwise is yet to be determined)

2012 A Sarasota Florida-area businessmen involved with the Whitemark deal was a real estate developer with close ties to a man who was sentenced in 2012 to 3 yrs in prison for masterminding a large house-flipping fraud

2013 DG ran his chemical manufacturing company, P2 Solutions Ltd until sometime this year

2013 October, Alvin's son AL, said he last saw DG at his in-laws last Thanksgiving and said DG seemed a bit of a loner and didn't speak to him that much

2013 December, title documents show the Liknes home was sold to a Calgary lawyer for $705,000

2014 KL was involved in social media marketing, offering Search Engine Optimization services and website templates for businesses; also direct marketing for Nucerity (skincare products)

June 11 estate sale ads started being placed in kijiji (ads placed June 11 to June 24)

June 25 Winter Petroleum employees officially resigned on this date

June 27 start of estate sale that was advertised as “SALE June 27,28,29th - FRIDAY 2PM-7PM, SATURDAY 8:30-4:00, SUNDAY 8:30-400”

June 29 Winter Petroleum premises cleaned out

June 29 locals report that the area near Parkhill neighbourhood had only a “brief spitting” of rain

June 29 JO attends estate sale at Liknes home with NO and his younger brother

June 29 neighbour reports seeing AL playing in the park with NO around noon (elsewhere said NO in park and AL watching from by the garage in the back laneway)

June 29 10:00pm approx. time JO leaves with the youngest boy and NO stays with AL and KL for a sleepover

June 30 5:25am sunrise in Calgary

June 30 10:00am JO returns to the Liknes house to pick up NO and nobody is at the home.

June 30 5:15pm MT (mountain time) Amber Alert is issued

July 1 AL and KL were to vacate their home at 124 38a Av SW, Calgary (to be verified whether July 1 or July 31)

July 1, 11:00 am Investigators say they have no "significant leads" about the whereabouts of the missing family. Also that evidence at the Liknes home indicates the three family members left the residence against their will. LE ask anyone who attended the estate sale to contact them and that LE will be at Parkhill Community Centre on July 3 to meet with them. People are being asked to bring photos of what they bought to help investigators catalogue what was purchased and what remains in the house.

July 1 2014 Police contacted 3 landfills asking for trash to be segregated

July 1 RO sends an email late today to CTV Calgary saying that a reward will be announced Wednesday through CPS

July 2 3:00pm MT (mountain time) JO and RO make public plea for the return of their son. LE say they have decided not to offer a cash reward at this time.

July 3 of approx. 200 people who attended sale, 80+ attended Parkhill Community Hall

July 4 LE update says there was a violent struggle inside the Liknes home. They are searching for a green Ford F150 made in the late 1980s or early 1990s that was seen driving around the neighbourhood several times the night of the disappearance

July 4 LE arrived at the Airdrie farm in the evening; a green truck matching the one LE is seeking is removed from the scene and POI DG is taken into custody

July 5 Search takes place around the Liknes’ home and the park.

July 6 DG continue search at farm but DG is released from custody. LE says he remains a POI

July 7 DG makes first court appearance and will be back in court Wednesday, July 9

July 7 It is announced that POI has link to Liknes family and has criminal past. (It becomes known that DG’s sister is in a CIL relationship with AL’s son AL)

July 8 It is said that detectives have interviewed staff of AL’s company that went bankrupt weeks before the family’s disappearance

July 9 DG made second court appearance. Will return to court Friday July 11 when he could be released on conditions, including that he provide an address where he will be staying

July 9 LE reveal that DG and AL had money dealings that soured and there is "bad blood" related to money between the two. They are not aware of the specifics

July 9 LE ask property owners in rural areas outside Calgary to search their land for anything suspicious

July 10 LE commenced search of Spyhill landfill; bags of (potential?) evidence removed by LE

July 10 LE start search of second landfill site at 17th and 68th Street today

July 10 RCMP Explosives disposal unit was dispatched to the Garland property in Airdrie today

July 10 In LE presser today, they say they know who was hurt in the home (but that info was not released to the public)

July 10 Hundreds of people attend vigil held for the family

July 11 DG released from custody on $750 bail with the following terms: keep the peace and be of good behaviour; must stay in province (cannot leave Alberta without permission), surrender passport within 24 hours of release, to report 3 days a week, first report to be July 15, must provide land line phone # if available to supervisor, must be home between the hours of 9 pm and 7 am each day, he is to reside at transitional housing - hotel, motel, Mustard Seed, Drop-In Centre, Salvation Army Centre of Hope, or homeless shelter, be back in court Aug. 6 at case management office, not possess ID other than his own. DG asks judge "I live on a farm, sometimes working past 9 o'clock, would residence be on the farm itself?" The judge reminds him he won't be going to the farm but to some form of transitional housing.

July 11 LE conclude search at southeast Calgary landfill and focus their efforts on an acreage north of the city and the Spyhill Landfill site. Also have a tactical unit at the Airdrie acreage to deal with dangerous and flammable chemicals that were found on the property. Asking people/businesses/oil companies in the Airdrie and Parkhill/Stanley Park areas to check their properties for absolutely anything out of the ordinary.

July 11 Members of Liknes family confirm in the media that beef between AL and DG was over patent filed years ago by AL; family says it was AL's invention

July 31 AL and KL were to vacate their home (to be verified whether July 31 or July 1 2014)

Please continue here.

Please post Responsibly and respectfully.

Please be mindful Websleuths is a victim friendly forum.

:tyou:

I would just like to say how sorry I am for the family. My heart just breaks for all of them

Discussion on CTV right now. If I hear anything new I'll post

Did they mention when they would be updating on who they arrested?

Did they mention when they would be updating on who they arrested?
I haven't heard anything yet but got in on the discussion late. I'll check a few other channels and again at 6 p.m. my time

DRAFT TIMELINE JULY 11, 2014
July 10 LE commenced search of Spyhill landfill; bags of (potential?) evidence removed by LE
July 11 LE conclude search at southeast Calgary landfill and focus their efforts on an acreage north of the city and the Spyhill Landfill site.

Can someone confirm that these "bags of (potential?)" evidence was removed from Spyhill landfill? These bags don't seem to have received much attention. Any comments on witnessed size/shape/quantity of these bags?

I've been reading here everyday,just not posted as I have nothing to add being so far away etc.
just read the news,my heart aches for them,especially Nathan. I have a 5 year old boy and it's just unbearable to think about :(

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPro

I am so sad for this outcome.

One question: did DG also have bad blood with RO and JO. Is it possible he chose to end Nathan's life instead of letting him go as an act of revenge against them?

I hope the remains are located so this dear family can at least give them a proper burial.

Ticker on the CBC station stated this is a very complex case. I believe that was stated at the presser as well. Which supports IMO all of the great sleuthing here with the business ties.

Can someone confirm that these "bags of (potential?)" evidence was removed from Spyhill landfill? These bags don't seem to have received much attention. Any comments on witnessed size/shape/quantity of these bags?

The police chief said that there is no smoking gun, no one piece of evidence that led to the arrest. The media continued to ask questions about the "smoking gun" and he repeated that there was no smoking gun ... no bag from the landfill, no one thing. Instead, he said that through the participation of 200 people that worked on the case, it became clear that the victims were deceased and the suspect should be charged.

One question: did DG also have bad blood with RO and JO. Is it possible he chose to end Nathan's life instead of letting him go as an act of revenge against them?

I hope the remains are located so this dear family can at least give them a proper burial.

The suspect is charged with first degree murder for the deaths of the couple. There are second degree charges regarding the death of the child, meaning that he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. That is, there is no motive for the murder based on the connection between the suspect and the child or his parents.

The kept alive part is very hard to think about. :(

ETA I only saw bits of the presser so I'm guessing I missed something. I thought he said that they thought they were kept alive after being taken from the house . My mistake.

Hard to say what his mindset was. Perhaps he resented them all for the most part. If I had to hazard a guess I would say he couldn't leave behind a witness

Questions: How much CASH did DG have on him? Like I said previously, perhaps he was going back to his property to get items to FLEE *again*... If the cash from the estate sale hasn't been recovered, perhaps he was going to get it before fleeing? Most people pay cash at these events.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 891
Questions: How much CASH did DG have on him? Like I said previously, perhaps he was going back to his property to get items to FLEE *again*... If the cash from the estate sale hasn't been recovered, perhaps he was going to get it before fleeing? Most people pay cash at these events.

So much we don't know. Much we will not know until Trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361