Issues with Specific Thread Content

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this thread to hash out some of the issues with specific threads, starting with the thread on Alternate Theories.

The posting requirements for that thread do not leave a lot of room for discussion of the possible theories and members are finding that frustrating. However, discussion surrounding some of the theories is derailing the thread and turning it into a general discussion thread. Other members find that frustrating.

We need some common ground so it works for the majority of us.

Please post your ideas on how to make the thread work here. You may also share ideas on any of the other threads. I know many are having a difficult time with the no general discussion threads also.

Salem

My thought in the Alternate theory thread is that we need to stay focused. So perhaps a response template something like: I agree/disagree with "alternate theory" because.....

It would help keep everyone on track. The difficulty is with monitoring the posts and being so specific it interrupts the entire flow. But a general response, like 'I think he did it on purpose because....' sends the thread into a tailspin over the different points of evidence to show intent/no intent and we are no longer talking about the alternate theory.

Ideas are welcome!!!!!

Salem

It is difficult sometimes to stay specifically on topic per thread -- for instance, in discussing the 6 min phone call, some questions have been raised with regard to the movie -- sometimes it's hard to provide reasoning for one topic without explaining your theory behind another -- it can help AND it can derail. We need there to be discussion in order to understand each other, but I can understand the frustration of going through pages & pages of discussion that doesn't contain the info you wish to discuss.

Honestly I think we need a general discussion thread for those of us who would like to further explore and combine topics -- and we can help remind each other that if we're getting into discussion about a particular topic that has its own thread to take it over there. As we continue to add new specific topic threads, the general will get smaller. IMO

I think new threads could be posted with more specific titles. One of the other boards I post on has tons of threads, then once the thread drops and isn't as busy as it started, similar threads can be consolidated.

Example: alternate theory 1: blah blah

Then another for other theories.

I wanted to post one for the segment I just saw on JVM on HLN that said LH lawyer is releasing a statement tonight.

So a thread for that. So it would amount to more total threads, but as long as the headings were informative, I think that would be much easier than wading through long threads.

Sent from my iPhone

I hope this makes as much sense in writing as it does in my head. Would it be possible to only allow a person 2 post about any one theory, one if there are any questions about it, and one giving any reasons why they don't think it works. The person posting the theory can answer the questions, but has already stated that/why they think it would work so there'd be no need to argue about it.

The one other thing I'd like is not repeating a question once it's been asked and answered.

Too many threads muddy the waters. A general discussion thread, imo, can be very useful.

I hope this makes as much sense in writing as it does in my head. Would it be possible to only allow a person 2 post about any one theory, one if there are any questions about it, and one giving any reasons why they don't think it works. The person posting the theory can answer the questions, but has already stated that/why they think it would work so there'd be no need to argue about it.

The one other thing I'd like is not repeating a question once it's been asked and answered.

Yes and in a new thread the person who came up w theory would answer in the thread. Kind of like an AMA

Sent from my iPhone

I think new threads could be posted with more specific titles. One of the other boards I post on has tons of threads, then once the thread drops and isn't as busy as it started, similar threads can be consolidated.

I wanted to post one for the segment I just saw on JVM on HLN that said LH lawyer is releasing a statement tonight.

So a thread for that. So it would amount to more total threads, but as long as the headings were informative, I think that would be much easier than wading through long threads.

Sent from my iPhone

You may set up a thread for this. Feel free. And then when the lawyer statement comes out it can be put in this thread and further discussed. That's fine.

Salem

I find it to be pain to have a different thread for every darn topic out there. It makes no sense to jump from thread to thread to thread to post a thought or 2 and then move to the next. It makes it very difficult to have any substantial conversation.

I would love the general discussion thread back. :)

O/T
None of this makes any sense really, this case I mean. It's just a bunch of relatively sane people trying to sort out what appears to be something totally insane. No wonder things go so pear-shaped in the threads....

I honestly think there are always going to be people asking questions that have been answered because we don't all communicate the same way and some people don't have time to read through pages and pages of threads -- that's why we need specific threads as well as a general discussion thread. We can reply to someone asking an answered question with a link to the post answering it or guide them to the appropriate thread.... The specific ones can remain pretty specific to the topic -- we can always PM or reply to someone and say, "Hey meet me over in general discussion so we don't derail this thread and we can discuss it"... IMO

Very difficult to voice on altermate theory when the specifics of the timeline or gaps thereof can't be included in them without becoming another general discussion thread. There are so many unknowns at this point, I don't know how to avoid it.

IMHO, having so many different threads makes it confusing for newbies. I think there should be separate threads for Media Links, discussions regarding insurance policies/car seat safety/law, etc., but we also need a General Discussion thread.

I feel as though I'm missing out on having any real discussion about the case, because I'm spending so much time going back and forth between threads, trying to figure out the appropriate thread to read and to post in.

Trouble is, for the next several weeks, at least, we will be getting information in tiny dribs and drabs (which I respect in re: Georgia criminal procedure).. but we are all very interested in discussing what we DO know and speculating about what we don't. It's fun. And people come up with interesting ideas which I like to think about. Is it possible or too gnarly to have a GD thread where the first post covers the bare-bones facts and can easily be referred to because its on the same thread? And can be updated every 12 hours or so? JMO JMO

I'm starting this thread to hash out some of the issues with specific threads, starting with the thread on Alternate Theories.

The posting requirements for that thread do not leave a lot of room for discussion of the possible theories and members are finding that frustrating. However, discussion surrounding some of the theories is derailing the thread and turning it into a general discussion thread. Other members find that frustrating.

We need some common ground so it works for the majority of us.

Please post your ideas on how to make the thread work here. You may also share ideas on any of the other threads. I know many are having a difficult time with the no general discussion threads also.

Salem

Sent from my iPhone

I don't think each theory needs it's own thread, naturally there will be some theories that attract more interest/ideas/passionate debate. Those would be the theories needing their own thread IMO. If you agree on an alt theory, I'd say hit the "like" button; if not, scroll on; if you have something to add that is detailed, start a thread on that theory. If it holds interest it will carry on. If not, it will die or never come to existence. A Natural selection forum if you will ;))

IMHO, having so many different threads makes it confusing for newbies. I think there should be separate threads for Media Links, discussions regarding insurance policies/car seat safety/law, etc., but we also need a General Discussion thread.

I feel as though I'm missing out on having any real discussion about the case, because I'm spending so much time going back and forth between threads, trying to figure out the appropriate thread to read and to post in.

Is it possible to have a sub- thread to the alt theory thread?

It is difficult sometimes to stay specifically on topic per thread -- for instance, in discussing the 6 min phone call, some questions have been raised with regard to the movie -- sometimes it's hard to provide reasoning for one topic without explaining your theory behind another -- it can help AND it can derail. We need there to be discussion in order to understand each other, but I can understand the frustration of going through pages & pages of discussion that doesn't contain the info you wish to discuss.

Honestly I think we need a general discussion thread for those of us who would like to further explore and combine topics -- and we can help remind each other that if we're getting into discussion about a particular topic that has its own thread to take it over there. As we continue to add new specific topic threads, the general will get smaller. IMO

This is what I find very difficult about it. It's the same way the Car seat discussion leads to the deafness, or the temperatures outside, or if it is feasible that he could forget him. It's so hard to stay on one and only one aspect of the case when discussing the case as a whole. Also, some threads feel vague as in "alternative theories" its so wide open its difficult for that to not become a GD thread. Or while discussing Leanne in the Leanne thread, its really hard not to discuss Ross and the six minute phone call and the movies....or their marriage or sexting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member