UNSOLVED CA - Newberry Springs, Skeletal Remains found in desert, Jul'14

Migmuu

Reaction score
Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

The remains were found on Wednesday by a person driving in the open desert in the 48-000 block of Silver Valley Road.
Erin Corwin went missing nearby just three weeks ago, so people initially thought the remains might be hers. But LE has found that they've been there for at least a year, so we know it's not going to be Erin.

Right now, there's no information on the estimated age, race, sex, etc. Just that they've been there for at least one year.

I'm very interested in this because the remains were found less than three miles from where April Pitzer went missing in June 2004.

April's CharleyProject profile

The Disappeared episode left me with the impression that whoever killed her likely threw her body down a mineshaft somewhere in the desert. But a lot of people also thought the McStays were in Mexico when they were really just an hour and a half away from their home, lying in the desert near Victorville all that time ... so who knows?

i'm very interested in this because the remains were found less than three miles from where april pitzer went missing in june 2004.

april's charleyproject profile

the disappeared episode left me with the impression that whoever killed her likely threw her body down a mineshaft somewhere in the desert. But a lot of people also thought the mcstays were in mexico when they were really just an hour and a half away from their home, lying in the desert near victorville all that time ... So who knows?

exactly

Looks like the killer drove along the road and dumped it (obvious i know).

What was the state of the skeleton? grave, hole etc.?.

I haven't found anything that gives even minimal details. Just that it's not Erin Corwin because the bones have been there longer than that.

Oh right, the only thing we could probably do is look at the missing records in that area (unless it is a popular body dumping ground), until then we can't really do much to guess who it is.

Looks like the killer drove along the road and dumped it (obvious i know).

What was the state of the skeleton? grave, hole etc.?.

Welcome and thank you for joining in on the discussion!
Your screen name is so cute and original...
I am looking forward to reading more of your contributions and posts.. :seeya:

I'm very interested in this because the remains were found less than three miles from where April Pitzer went missing in June 2004.

April's CharleyProject profile

The Disappeared episode left me with the impression that whoever killed her likely threw her body down a mineshaft somewhere in the desert. But a lot of people also thought the McStays were in Mexico when they were really just an hour and a half away from their home, lying in the desert near Victorville all that time ... so who knows?
What a horribly sad story. I hope this is April

Welcome and thank you for joining in on the discussion!
Your screen name is so cute and original...
I am looking forward to reading more of your contributions and posts.. :seeya:
Thanks mate! got the idea of coming here from Unsolved Mysteries on Reddit.

Its good to feel welcome!.

Oh right, the only thing we could probably do is look at the missing records in that area (unless it is a popular body dumping ground), until then we can't really do much to guess who it is.

Yes, welcome. I didn't realize you were new :) Glad to have you!

Okay, the articles say that a passerby saw the bones, which implies they were out on the surface, which would seem to mean that either the remains were discarded on the surface, or they were recently uncovered from a shallow grave, or possibly washed down from somewhere else.

The address is given as 48000 Silver Valley Road, which is approximately here: https://goo.gl/maps/4U05a If you click and go to street view, it looks like there's a small trailer park nearby, as well as a small lake and some agriculture. Silver Valley Road appears to lead up into the mountains. Does anybody know exactly where April's clothing and such was found?

Yes, welcome. I didn't realize you were new :) Glad to have you!

Okay, the articles say that a passerby saw the bones, which implies they were out on the surface, which would seem to mean that either the remains were discarded on the surface, or they were recently uncovered from a shallow grave, or possibly washed down from somewhere else.

The address is given as 48000 Silver Valley Road, which is approximately here: https://goo.gl/maps/4U05a If you click and go to street view, it looks like there's a small trailer park nearby, as well as a small lake and some agriculture. Silver Valley Road appears to lead up into the mountains. Does anybody know exactly where April's clothing and such was found?
I have no knowledge of where her clothes were found, but it has been said that these weren't Aprils bones hasn't it?.

Also, the area looks far too open for someone to go out and hide a body, i would think someone may of sneaked out from the trailer park at night to dump it?, it is down the road from the trailer park, so someone may have walked up to a area they (stupidly) thought was far enough.

Also, could the remains be of someone who was simply hit by a car and the driver dumped it on the road side and drove off?.

I have no knowledge of where her clothes were found, but it has been said that these weren't Aprils bones hasn't it?.

Also, the area looks far too open for someone to go out and hide a body, i would think someone may of sneaked out from the trailer park at night to dump it?, it is down the road from the trailer park, so someone may have walked up to a area they (stupidly) thought was far enough.

Also, could the remains be of someone who was simply hit by a car and the driver dumped it on the road side and drove off?.
I believe its been said they are likely not the bones of Erin Corwin...who has been missing for a month. However, obviously these were just found so no one knows who it is without more testing

They've said they aren't Erin Corwin's bones. April went missing in, um, 2004, 2006, something like that. She was last seen with her suitcase at the bus stop in Newberry Springs getting ready to make a trip, but never made it to her destination. Some time after that, they found some of her clothes and stuff at an abandoned mining cabin in the mountains somewhere, but no trace of her body.

Somebody from the trailer park would certainly be a possibility. Depending on how far the remains were from the road, the hit and run is a possibility, too.

Also, I'm thinking of checking the missing records, but I'm English so i don't know which state or area this is in?.

Also, I'm thinking of checking the missing records, but I'm English so i don't know which state or area this is in?.

Newberry Springs is in the middle of the California desert, about halfway between Los Angeles and Las Vegas. It is not far from the city of Barstow (which is a highway Junction consisting mostly of fast food restaurants and gas stations). But it is otherwise, an extremely isolated place.

Thanks, the missing directory is terrible to navigate, so its going to take a while.

So.

Dead for least a year.
Woman? (I guess thats why some thought it was April)

Thats all I've got to work on atm.

I don't think it's been officially said they're a woman's remains. Speculation about April is primarily because of the location and timing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back