OK OK - Shannon Ketron, 8 months, Cordell, 17 June 1982

wykyd_r

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to this site, and I have been reading all the heart-breaking stories. After reading some of these, I went to the site for missing and exploited children and was just looking around. Imagine my surprise when I saw a page for a baby that had been kidnapped in my hometown! The details are very sketchy, but they are as follows:

The mother was knocked unconscious on a county road and her eight-month-old son, Shannon Patrick Ketron, was abducted by an unknown white male. This took place just outside of Cordell, Oklahoma in 1982.

I was born and raised in Cordell and lived there at that time--I was 19 years old and had small children of my own. My point is that I never heard a word about this when it happened. Cordell is a very small town (approximately 3,000) and everyone knows everyone. Of course, this occurred at the end of the so-called "oil boom," which means that there were a lot of strangers around. The page for Shannon says that he lived in Cordell at the time. I asked one of my friends who still lives there (and did at the time) and she had never heard about it either. We have been asking questions but no one seems to know anything. I searched the internet for him but can find nothing aside from the missing child page.

I know that this is probably hopeless, but I just wanted to tell everyone about this, because I think this clearly shows how people can stay missing--it is so sad that more people are not aware...

The archives of the newspaper The Oklahoman (see link below) shows several headlines in relation to this story. Unfortunately, as with many papers online, you have to pay to see the stories. Some of the headlines seem to indicate this was a pretty big deal at the time (especially the one giving a description of the kidnapper).

I guess the most obvious question would be, where's the father?

http://olive.newsok.com/Archive/skins/ArchiveSearch/navigator.asp?skin=archivesearch&BP=OK&AW=1119461106890
Hope this helps.

note: just realized the link has to detect internet speed..after that, click on "search", 1980-1990, then type Shannon Ketron

By the way, welcome to WS-be sure to sign the Sharon Marshall petition!!!:angel:

Cases from 1982 you aren't going to find much on the web.
You or your friend can contact your local paper and see if they maintain copies of past issues. Often those are on microfiche. Papers will usually provide copies of articles for a small fee.
Ask the paper if they have ever considered a followup story.
Sometimes the local libraries will have an archive of the papers (esp. the larger libraries).
Contact the local PD- or sometimes you get more info if you ask an officer you know about what happened with the case. Some PD's will talk about cold cases and some will not.
The boy would be 23 now. Have you checked local phone books?

shadowangel said:
The archives of the newspaper The Oklahoman (see link below) shows several headlines in relation to this story. Unfortunately, as with many papers online, you have to pay to see the stories. Some of the headlines seem to indicate this was a pretty big deal at the time (especially the one giving a description of the kidnapper).

I guess the most obvious question would be, where's the father?

http://olive.newsok.com/Archive/skins/ArchiveSearch/navigator.asp?skin=archivesearch&BP=OK&AW=1119461106890
Hope this helps.

note: just realized the link has to detect internet speed..after that, click on "search", 1980-1990, then type Shannon Ketron
Thanks so much, that was more than I could find. I can't pay to see these articles right now, but I will soon. My thoughts were at first that it was the father, and that's why we didn't hear anything about it, but it seems as if he is not mentioned--maybe in the full articles. I will keep looking.
Thanks again!

shadowangel said:
By the way, welcome to WS-be sure to sign the Sharon Marshall petition!!!:angel:
Thanks for the welcome, and I signed the Sharon Marshall petition before I even posted. Keep up the good work!

Unfortunately, the details I related, are all that I could find so far, but maybe there will be more in the newspaper articles. So no mother's name, and the last name is unfamiliar to those of us from that area that are discussing this...

mysteriew said:
Cases from 1982 you aren't going to find much on the web.
You or your friend can contact your local paper and see if they maintain copies of past issues. Often those are on microfiche. Papers will usually provide copies of articles for a small fee.
Ask the paper if they have ever considered a followup story.
Sometimes the local libraries will have an archive of the papers (esp. the larger libraries).
Contact the local PD- or sometimes you get more info if you ask an officer you know about what happened with the case. Some PD's will talk about cold cases and some will not.
The boy would be 23 now. Have you checked local phone books?
My friend that still lives there is checking libraries, LE, etc. I will keep you posted if we learn anything. Thanks so much for the ideas.

mysteriew said:
I noticed this link in another post. It might be helpful here, but I don't have an account or know how best to find info here:

http://rootsweb.com/
Thanks! I happen to have an account there, and I found only one reference to Ketrons in Oklahoma--I am considering posting a message to inquire about this little boy, but I don't know if people would think that's too intrusive?

Okay, here's the short version (so the FBI doesn't hunt me down for copyright violation)!!!:crazy:

On June 17th, 1982, Ann Ketron was travelling from Buffalo to Cordell with her infant, Shannon in her silver '78 Pontiac. Approximately 4.5 miles south of Cordell, she pulled to the side of Rt 183 near (or on) a dirt road. A white male in a green late-model GMC truck pulled up alongside and asked her if everything was okay. He then knocked her unconscious and left with the infant. The kidnapper is described as a white male, dark complexion, 5'10'' 175 lbs. Ann was administered a polygraph, but the results were never released.
Ann's husband, Dustin, was an inmate at the Lexington Assessment and Reception Center at the time, serving a year for burglary. However, LE was puzzled as to how he was aware of the incident, as inmates at the facility are not allowed to make or receive phone calls.
A Google search on the names came up with nothing.

shadowangel said:
Okay, here's the short version (so the FBI doesn't hunt me down for copyright violation)!!!:crazy:

On June 17th, 1982, Ann Ketron was travelling from Buffalo to Cordell with her infant, Shannon in her silver '78 Pontiac. Approximately 4.5 miles south of Cordell, she pulled to the side of Rt 183 near (or on) a dirt road. A white male in a green late-model GMC truck pulled up alongside and asked her if everything was okay. He then knocked her unconscious and left with the infant. The kidnapper is described as a white male, dark complexion, 5'10'' 175 lbs. Ann was administered a polygraph, but the results were never released.
Ann's husband, Dustin, was an inmate at the Lexington Assessment and Reception Center at the time, serving a year for burglary. However, LE was puzzled as to how he was aware of the incident, as inmates at the facility are not allowed to make or receive phone calls.A Google search on the names came up with nothing.

Hmm. Kinda sounds like hubby was in on the plans, doesn't it?

mysteriew said:
Wonder if the parents remained together after the child went missing? Or what happened to them afterwards?

They still live in Oklahoma. I did a Switchboard.com search on them and turned up a listing for each of them in Woodward, OK. The address and phone number is the same, so I'm assuming they are still together. Woodward and Cordell are about 94 miles away from one another, so it's hard to believe there would be two different sets of people with these names so close together.

I matched the names at the address in Woodward with the approximate birthdates of the people living there and it seemed to match up.(Mar 1960 and July 1960).

There is also a listing for a Dustin P. Ketron in Cincinnati, OH with the same approximate birthdate, so maybe they've broken up and they/he's moved or maybe they were at one time together in Ohio.

There is a Dan and Calvin Ketron listed at the same Oklahoma address.

There is an Ann Ketron listed for 276 area code which is the western half of Virginia.

I love to research. Can you tell?

Sounds like to me maybe ? The dad DID have something to do with it, maybe the man who took the boy, did so, on the Dad's request, and maybe he is NOT dead , maybe he is alive and well and he was just taken to someone among the Dad's Friends or Family to raise ?? You know , for whatever reason, the Dad decided he did not want the Mom to have their son, so he arranged for someone to transport the child to someone in his circle of friends and family members , wonder if they (LE) ever checked that out ? It could have been(the abductor) someone who had recently been released from the same correctional facility, or one of his old friends that had visited the Dad in jail or talked to him through a letter or whatever and the Dad told him to do this ? Just a thought ????
Did anyone recently check the missing BOYS name to see if his name pops up anywhere in recent directories LIVING ? Cause if he woud be 23 ? and he is alive, his name would NOW show up somewhere ???? Or worst being possible , maybe the Mom did something to the boy and SAID it was an abductor ?

I checked the phone co. site for Cincinnati and there is no current listing for Dustin Ketron. Also checked for Shannon Ketron and Patrick Ketron with no luck. Also ran the names for all of Ohio with negative results.

mysteriew said:
I checked the phone co. site for Cincinnati and there is no current listing for Dustin Ketron. Also checked for Shannon Ketron and Patrick Ketron with no luck. Also ran the names for all of Ohio with negative results.

I checked a national site for S. Ketron, with only one result in Florida. All the others had different middle initials. Also checked for Patrick Ketron and nothing there, either.

Shannon's date of birth is 11/10/81.

His Charley Project page states that he has never been seen again, as does his Doe Network page.

An obituary in Jan. of 2005 lists a Ann and Dustin Ketron of Woodward as the daughter and son in law of the deceased. Also listed is a Amber Ketron as a granddaughter of the deceased.

If this is the same Ann Ketron, I also found a site for her current employment, including a picture and description of her having a husband and daughter and living in OK.

I can't imagine staying for 20+ years with a man I thought was responsible for the kidnapping of my son, but you never know, I guess.

According to a little more research, it appears that LE were suspicious of the story. The mother later added the details about the description and that the abductor had stated, "you look just like my ex-wife". It seems that, in alot of cases, that LE are fairly quick to state that someone passed a lie detector, making the statement tht they were withholding the results due to "privacy reasons" all the more peculiar....
I tried to find the wedding announcement for these two (I was interested in seeing Ann's maiden name), but had no luck.

shadowangel said:
According to a little more research, it appears that LE were suspicious of the story. The mother later added the details about the description and that the abductor had stated, "you look just like my ex-wife". It seems that, in alot of cases, that LE are fairly quick to state that someone passed a lie detector, making the statement tht they were withholding the results due to "privacy reasons" all the more peculiar....
I tried to find the wedding announcement for these two (I was interested in seeing Ann's maiden name), but had no luck.

The obituary I found stated her father's last name as Watts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back