School bans skirts

sharon25

Reaction score
GIRLS at an English junior high school will be banned from wearing skirts from January next year, in a move their teachers hope will help them maintain their "modesty".

Broadstone Middle School in Poole, Dorset, which announced its decision in a newsletter to parents, said it would expect all 673 of its pupils, aged nine to 13, to turn up for classes in full-length trousers instead.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1274&storyid=3326652

That's just sad. Unfortunately, after volunteering so many years with Middle Schoolers, I can see why they would want to do it. Mini skirts and thongs don't leave much to the imagination.

Still, seems like they would ban them only if they are short. After all, sometimes we LIKE to feel like a female.

When I was in school - thru 9th grade (73) - we were not allowed to wear PANTS to school unless the temp in the AM was 32 or below or it was snowing/sleeting. Skirts had to be as long as our fingertips (miniskirt days), and NO JEANS. In HS suddenly we could wear not only pants but jeans - shirts had to be tucked in or longer than the waistband on the pants (hiphuggers and bellbottoms) - shirts had to have sleeves on them - no bellies or armpits allowed to show. Skirts STILL had to be as long as our fingertips. No t-shirts with writing or pictures.
I see kids going to school now and their pants are falling off and half their underwear hanging out the top. Really short skirts and tops short enough to show their belly button rings. All sorts of provocative stuff on shirts. And I must say - today's girls need to be taught how to sit in a short skirt - oh my what I have seen that I didn't want to and often it is obvious they have no idea they are flashing everyone.
Even if they wear pants the girls will figure out some way of making those just as provocative.

At my son's public jr. high a note was sent home with the heading "Dress for success", it states that the school expects students to dress appropriately. To wear clothing that is neither provocative or insensitive, disrespectful or unsafe.

Tops must meet bottoms, and no underwear incluidng bra straps, or the top of boxer shorts. Students who are in breach of this dress code will be asked to cover up and if it continues, they may face suspension.

At the Catholic High School, the girls wear very, very short skirts. They may come down to mid thigh, but the girls hike up the waist band and then wear thongs or no underwear and bend down on a regular basis.

Solution: Now the girls must wear "skorts", skirts with a built in short underneath. The girls are upset. The parents are having a party. The girls think that they are cool and nothing will happen. For us out of high school, we know better.

For the girls at the Jewish school, covered arms, skirts down to their knees or just below. , shined shoes, clean pressed shirt, black socks.

Modesty is apparently coming back into vogue.

As a parent of a teen daughter, I am thrilled that modesty is making a comeback. Now if we can just get the buyers for department stores to catch on. It is next to impossible to find clothing that leaves something to the imagination for this age group.

I am sick of seeing girls in short, skin-tight tees and short-shorts so tight that their sides are hanging over. ( I don't mean fat, these girls are skinny.) Please don't get me started on thongs.

I never thought I would be an advocate of school uniforms. However, with the clothing being marketed toward these kids, I have changed my thoughts on the subject. I don't want my daughter running around looking like a fifty-cent hooker.

tennessee said:
As a parent of a teen daughter, I am thrilled that modesty is making a comeback. Now if we can just get the buyers for department stores to catch on. It is next to impossible to find clothing that leaves something to the imagination for this age group.

<SNIP>
sadly, it is not just clothing for teens......the clothing for children are knockoffs of the same styles: imitation of the very clothing that females wear who lure men for a living!

i know if i had young girls, i would be sitting at the sewing machine and they would hate me for having to be so different......the desire to not stand out and to be like everyone so affects the physche (sp) of any young person that this is really a serious issue.

A case I heard about recently: Four boys were convicted of "swarming" a 12 year old girl at her locker and "touching her" on repeated occassions.

Their defense: What she was wearing, was inviting. Provocative.

So the problem is not only with what a girl is wearing, but how the "boys" perceive the message she is sending through her clothing.

I lost the "low slung" pants in the wash one day so my son could not wear them.

I lose shirts that have holes in them that he insists on wearing.

He must think the washing machine was made by the "fashion police" and they sneak in the night and remove clothing that is not appropriate.

It is funny how my friends washer "eats" the tops and clothes that are not appropriate. Or bleach just happens to spill on that low crop top.........

My friend is always too "busy" to go out shopping to replace the items. Her daughter cannot go herself.

But she is not too busy to stop by the mall without her daughter to buy some "decent" clothes on the way home from work

Desperate yes, ethical, no, effective, yes.

cynder said:
When I was in school - thru 9th grade (73) - we were not allowed to wear PANTS to school unless the temp in the AM was 32 or below or it was snowing/sleeting. Skirts had to be as long as our fingertips (miniskirt days), and NO JEANS. In HS suddenly we could wear not only pants but jeans - shirts had to be tucked in or longer than the waistband on the pants (hiphuggers and bellbottoms) - shirts had to have sleeves on them - no bellies or armpits allowed to show. Skirts STILL had to be as long as our fingertips. No t-shirts with writing or pictures.
I see kids going to school now and their pants are falling off and half their underwear hanging out the top. Really short skirts and tops short enough to show their belly button rings. All sorts of provocative stuff on shirts. And I must say - today's girls need to be taught how to sit in a short skirt - oh my what I have seen that I didn't want to and often it is obvious they have no idea they are flashing everyone.
Even if they wear pants the girls will figure out some way of making those just as provocative.
I remember being 14 and kneeling on the rug in the girls's vice-principal's office so she could measure how far my skirt was above my knees- a maximum of 3 inches was allowed.

Growing up in southern CA, we didn't have to worry about freezing temps. No pants in 9th grade, pantsuits (uggg- anyone remember them?) were allowed in 10th, cords the following year. The year after I graduated, girls were finally permitted to wear jeans to school, and we felt totally ripped off.

Thats disgusting that those boys were even permitted to utter such a thing.
As the mother of 3 boys let me tell you if they treated a girl in a disrespectful manner and tried to blame her clothes I would wash their mouths out with soap.

IMO the problem is not how the boys percieve it its how their parents raised them to percieve it.

Peabody I actually do sew clothes for my daughter (at her request) and her friends come over and ask me to sew for them as well.

And I am just going to throw this out there...... Who the hell is buying these girls these clothes? they are just teenagers.... Where are they getting the money for these clothes?
As a mother I am not letting my daughter buy something that is either inapropriate for school or looks provocotive. I would permit her to go shopping with a friend but if she comes home with something inappropriate I am not spilling bleach or hiding it... I am point blank taking it away and either returning it or just giving it to my sister who is in her 20's and can wear what she wants as an adult.

If she did that more then once she would not be going shopping on her own anymore.
As for the boys Cyber LOL my hubby is just as bad at times.
I swear the sole came half off his sneaker before he even said .. "I need a new pair" Gee ya think??

cynder said:
This story is a riot! I too had to wear dresses or skirts to school. I remember in 6th grade, if you wore pants for recess, you got benched!!!:eek: My pre-schooler doesn't get that, she prefers to wear dresses & skirts even though you can't play well in them.

I am so delighted to see that I am not the only parent who is appalled at what the kids wear to school. I try very hard to monitor what my HS daughter is wearing each day to school. I also told her that if she thought that it was appropriate for any and all body types to wear the low pants and short shirts that I would be more than happy to go and buy some for me. (I admit that I am overweight, but I dont have that roll of fat that hangs for the pants) I told her to imagine what that sight would be. She and my son were horrified that I would even think of it. hahaha. But she doesnt dress that way, so maybe I made an impression on her.

I agree, I dont want my daughter to look like a hooker, and too many of the girls do. Between the makeup, the wonderbras, the thongs, shortshort skirts, low pants, and the rolls of fat hanging ---I just want to scream. I hope the parents take lots of pics of their daughters so that when they are parents, they just might be embarrassed on how they looked.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back