NJ - Prison inmate sues over prison conditions

Linda7NJ

Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2..._prison_conditions_were_unconstitutional.html

Alford was then held in solitary confinement in a segregated housing unit for three years, an amount of time his attorney said ended arbitrarily with a transfer to a different unit. While in segregated housing, Heyburn said, Alford was not allowed to clean the waste that flowed into his room from a backed-up toilet, do laundry or clean the water off his bed that leaked onto it from showers upstairs.

How cruel that no one explained to Alford that this could be his situation in life BEFORE he committed murder. :facepalm:

How cruel that no one explained to Alford that this could be his situation in life BEFORE he committed murder. :facepalm:

I really can't even work myself up to care one way or another....

My suggestion is they supply him with cleaning supplies and a plastic trash bag he can wrap himself in at night.

Alford became the center of news reports shortly after he was transferred from Northern State Prison to East Jersey State Prison in June 2006. Two days after the transfer, officers searched Alford's cell and found three letters outlining plans for armed take-overs at four state prisons..

Prison officials say Alford admitted writing the letters, but he denies that and testified that he didn't see the letters until the trial started last week.

The trial will resume on Monday.
Four officers always accompanied him when he was let out of his cell, Alford said. Throughout the trial, four plainclothes officers have sat in the courtroom. As Alford testified on witness stand, one officer stood about 10 feet behind him, in the judge's chambers, with the door to the chambers cracked open, concealing the officer from the jury.

Judge tosses suit:)
But today, after testifying before a jury, Alford saw a Superior Court judge throw out his claims of cruel punishment.

Judge Kenneth Grispin, granted a motion from state Deputy Attorney General Roshan Shah, who represented the state Department of Corrections. He had argued that Alford failed to exhaust all remedies available within the prison system to address his conditions.
Inmate's claim against solitary confinement thrown out; judge says murderer had other remedies
ELIZABETH — While being Held in solitary confinement at Jersey State Prison in Avenel, Lester Alford, a convicted murderer, wrote and filed a lawsuit in 2009 claiming his conditions amounted to cruel and unusual punishment. Working without a lawyer, Alford kept filing court papers over th...
Read More...

Sent from my iPhone
More at

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member