The Hummingbird lady Up the Hill

zwiebel

Reaction score
Lovely Darleen Ortlieb of Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino County, CA, is an animal rehabilitator with a special touch - for tiny humming birds. She's been doing it for 15 years, and I love the 'only' in the quote below; that's how many feeds over 21 days, to save a single bird?

“It only takes three weeks to rehabilitate them, but you have to feed them every 15 minutes, from sunup to sundown,” she said.

'Over the years, Ortlieb has rehabbed five species of hummingbirds, though there are several other varieties. After treatment, rehabbers are supposed to release the animals they have cared for in the same area where they were found.
“But if they get caught in a snowstorm I drive them down the hill,” she said. “I give them a break.” '

Darleen has to buy special sugar water for the little critters too, at $45 a pop. At the time of publication, she was shaking in her shoes at the thought of travelling to Arizona's Sedona Hummingbird Festival as an invited guest speaker. That was Aug 1-3rd, and I'm sure she was a great success.

Darleen - who is also a gourd artist - is turning her care and attention to endangered flying squirrels now too. San Bernardino is the only place left in California where they still exist, and she wants them to be put on the protected species list.

http://www.mountain-news.com/mountain_living/article_827c24e6-1771-11e4-9cd1-0019bb2963f4.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 37
Lovely Darleen Ortlieb of Lake Arrowhead, San Bernardino County, CA, is an animal rehabilitator with a special touch - for tiny humming birds. She's been doing it for 15 years, and I love the 'only' in the quote below; that's how many feeds over 21 days, to save a single bird?

“It only takes three weeks to rehabilitate them, but you have to feed them every 15 minutes, from sunup to sundown,” she said.

'Over the years, Ortlieb has rehabbed five species of hummingbirds, though there are several other varieties. After treatment, rehabbers are supposed to release the animals they have cared for in the same area where they were found.
“But if they get caught in a snowstorm I drive them down the hill,” she said. “I give them a break.” '

Darleen has to buy special sugar water for the little critters too, at $45 a pop. At the time of publication, she was shaking in her shoes at the thought of travelling to Arizona's Sedona Hummingbird Festival as an invited guest speaker. That was Aug 1-3rd, and I'm sure she was a great success.

Darleen - who is also a gourd artist - is turning her care and attention to endangered flying squirrels now too. San Bernardino is the only place left in California where they still exist, and she wants them to be put on the protected species list.

http://www.mountain-news.com/mountain_living/article_827c24e6-1771-11e4-9cd1-0019bb2963f4.html

zwiebel, thanks for posting this. I love the hummers. I have 10 feeders out, and fill them all once a day. I have been feeding them for 30 plus years. I came up with my own recipe, and have shared it all over the united states. My hummers are very tame. They will drink from the jug, as I pour the food into my feeders. :) God bless this little lady.

Gosh, I wish Darleen had the recipe - $45 for a bottle of sugar water seems a little expensive.

Gosh, I wish Darleen had the recipe - $45 for a bottle of sugar water seems a little expensive.

The more sugar you use, the more hummers you get. I use five pounds of sugar, per one and 1/2 gallon of water. :) I have Jehovah Witnesses from Pennsylvania, come every year to watch my *swarm of bees* they call them. They don't talk Bible, because I believe different. But they are welcome visitors. :) Oh and I'm in Kentucky. They come to witness to others, but stop at my home for tea and hummers. :) And NO FOOD COLORING. It can kill a hummer. :)

What a heartwarming story, what a lovely lady Darleen is. I am glad she is including flying squirrels to her list of rehabbers, I hope she succeeds in getting them on the protected species list.
Darleen is a lovely lady.... :goodpost: :cat:

What a heartwarming story, what a lovely lady Darleen is. I am glad she is including flying squirrels to her list of rehabbers, I hope she succeeds in getting them on the protected species list.
Darleen is a lovely lady.... :goodpost: :cat:

Dontcha just love stories like this? :) Warms the heart! I feed everything but the bears and coyotes! :floorlaugh:

I have just got to say WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST BEARS AND COYOTEES!!

I have not got to live with them, I only see them in zoos, like 80% of the rest of the population.
They look nice and friendly in zoos!! :giggle:

I have just got to say WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST BEARS AND COYOTEES!!

I have not got to live with them, I only see them in zoos, like 80% of the rest of the population.
They look nice and friendly in zoos!! :giggle:

I'll call you the next time they are in my yard!. :giggle:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123