MS - Enna Barreto, 2, dies in squalid New Albany home, 19 May 2008 *Arrests*

Marie

Daughter, if you don't remember us...who will?
Reaction score
These scumbags had SEVEN toddlers under the age of two and murdered one of them! A total of NINE children in a cesspool of a trailer 'home'. Probably illegally adopted. Were they running some sort of illegal adoption outfit or selling these babies for sexual abuse/kiddie *advertiser censored*?

Mid-South couple facing charges of child neglect, homicide, animal cruelty

Bond set for New Albany couple

The Union County Sheriff's Department raided the New Albany, Mississippi home of Ramon and Janet Barreto after the death of their two-year-old daughter. (her name was Enna)

Last weekend, the toddler was transferred from a Mississippi hospital to LeBonheur Children's Medical Center, where she died. Doctors tipped off police after uncovering signs of child abuse and suspected sexual assault.

Police said the girl's parents forced her and eight other children, six of whom are under age 2, to live in deplorable conditions in their trailer, all while they ran a massive puppy mill in the backyard. (180 dogs, 25 cats and ducks, too!)

Inside the home in living conditions detectives described as deplorable and disgusting, they found flies surrounding the door, feces next to food, and cockroaches everywhere.

Seven of the nine children were adopted from foreign countries. The couple did not have paperwork for some of the adopted kids from Guatemala.

remember this, folks... every time you see a cute puppy you just can't resist, being sold on the side of the road.. or by anyone who won't let you see the parents, who should be well-socialized and in good health (which is a good indicator of the breeder's practices), and paperwork for all the shots, the contact info for their vet, etc. etc.... it'll be interesting to see too, what they find out about the kids... it does seem like something very fishy is going on here.

Wow. International adoption isn't usually easy, I can hardly imagine being able to get that many of them with probably very few funds. Even with the issues surrounding Guatemalan adoptions, I just can't fathom how they pulled that off!!

i wonder if they were just paying poor destitute mothers in s. america a small fee to take their kid off their hands?? and then to sell on the black market..?? WTF??? probably a lot more of this kind of thing going on than we realize...

Reb, how does that explain getting the kids a VISA and such to get into the US?
They had to have someone helping them or something... Taking a child that's not yours into the US, isn't very easy. I'm totally interested in learning how these people managed to amass that many foreign children and so many under 2 yrs old. Those poor kids.

Here's another article w/ a picture of these lowlives.

"Janet and Ramon Barreto loves children. She has some physical problems, she's currently pregnant right now," said Attorney Tony Farese."

http://www.wreg.com/Global/story.asp?S=8361155

I also found this blog about them w/ separate links about the children and puppy mill.

http://i-luv-eeyore.vox.com/library/post/child-abuse-and-puppy-mills.html

http://i-luv-eeyore.vox.com/ (you have to scroll down)

More on the little girl:

"The child died Sunday in what authorities say was a homicide, the result of a blow to the head."

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=273808&pub=1&div=News

More on the dogs and puppies:

"Many of the animals had been born atop piles of feces that had accumulated on the bottoms of their cages. Flies and other insects swarmed the pens."

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=273804&pub=1&div=News

ROFLMAO!! but ***OF COURSE*** she's pregnant~!!!

This article says they sold the puppies online and at flea markets.

"...fetched anywhere from $50 to $1,000 through a number of online classified ads, including those at UsFreeads.com. That site alone included four dozen ads posted by Janet Barreto with captions like "how cute" and "so special."

Each ad features a photo of a puppy or kitten, usually held in the arms of what appears to be small children or a grown woman with curly black hair. In the descriptions, the animals are listed as healthy and registered as purebreds.

And kahskye, in the article you posted their attorney says "The Barreto family home looks like a children's paradise." WTF ?? Feces and cockroaches inhabit paradise?

He also claims the 17yo came home from Memphis with the 2yo? And may be charged? Wonder whats up with that story?

T
he investigation into this case gets more complicated by the day. It involves Tennessee, Mississippi, sheriff's investigators, the DA, State Children's Services, even U S Immigration, not to mention the Humane Society.

yeah, i saw that too...! 'LOTS AF LOVE'...???? HELLO,, can you spell..??? LOL

I find it amazing that more people have commented on the animals instead of the children.

Ugh.

I am betting these kids were smuggled into the US. Wonder if they are Hispanic?

Wow. International adoption isn't usually easy, I can hardly imagine being able to get that many of them with probably very few funds. Even with the issues surrounding Guatemalan adoptions, I just can't fathom how they pulled that off!!
How horrible for these children!:eek::eek: How could they pull these adoptions off! Something MUST be illegal going on here.

i feel sorry for the animals and the children. They are all innocent.

Those people are idiots.
angry-smiley-039.gif

Could they have adopted these children from migrant workers?

Could they have adopted these children from migrant workers?

They said the children were from Guatamala so I doubt it, if they were born here they would have said of Guatamalan descent. I think they were involved in some kind of illegal adoption. Adoptions have been halted in Guatamala and other countries because babies were being stolen from mothers and given up for adoption. I want to know what happened to this poor baby girl and someone probably more than one person needs to be held responsible. :mad:

Link

I love this quote from an animal vet -

"The people that did this should be shot, or at least when we come to spay and neuter these animals we should spay and neuter these people along with them," said Mississippi State University School of Veterinary Medicine Professor Phil Bushby.

Also-
Eight other Guatemalan children adopted by the couple are in protective custody. It's unclear at this point how the Barretos were able to pass mandatory home visits required by the Department of Homeland Security to adopt international children.

Some even talked about cockroaches falling from the ceiling. A peek through the open door revealed clothes and toys strewn across the floors, piles of junk on the dining room table, and the happy faces of dark-haired children smiling from photographs hung on the wall.

More on the adoption of the toddlers

Union County investigators would not release the name of the family's adoption agency or agencies.

What is clear is that Janet and Ramon Barreto of Union County would have had to pass a grueling series of home visits, questionnaires and background checks before being able to legally adopt the Guatemalan-born children.

They also likely would have paid between $25,000 and $35,000 for each child – the going rate for that country, said Tom Velie, executive director of Tupelo-based adoption agency New Beginnings.

"It's pretty in-depth," he said of the adoption process.

International adoptions typically "involve four visits where we’ll talk about your motivation to adopt, your past experience with adoption or international adoption in particular, a family history and marital history, background on each individual in the family," said Velie, adding that they ask questions like "What was your childhood like? What was your relationship with your parents? What activities did you participate in?"

It also involves a medical evaluation, criminal background check, home inspection and income verification, he said.

But, somehow, adoption officials missed signs of the Barreto’s large-scale pet breeding operation in the backyard, where hundreds of dogs and cats were kept in cramped, dirty cages surrounded by feces and flies.

The Barretos, who also have two biological children, have been charged with seven counts of child endangerment in connection with the girl's death and care of her siblings. Law enforcement officials expect other charges, but they aren’t providing specifics yet.

Enna Barreto, 2, died Monday at a Memphis hospital from a blow to the head, according to an autopsy. The family claims the girl fell from a shopping cart Sunday, but doctors who treated her at LeBonheur Children's Medical Center in Memphis suspected child abuse.

I notice that some articles are saying the murdered little girls name is Anna, instead of Enna. Ramon and Janet Barreto are facing capital murder charges - and I'm sure more charges will be added on when all is said and done.

There is no way these creeps adopted those kids legally. No way!
We have been through the hoops with an adoption agency and they know everything about us. Heck, they even know what type toilet paper we buy. There is no way they missed the puppy mill. The smell alone from all those animals would have been enough.

Sadly, It is not hard to smuggle kids into the US from other countries like Mexico, Guatamala...ect.. Right now to cross your children into the US from Mexico, you (yourself) has to have a passport and the kids only need a birth certificate. You know how easy it would be to just use the BC of one of your children to smuggle another child into the US?

Also, we really do have open borders with Mexico, look at the illegal immigration explosion. These kids could have been smuggled in by simply walking across a bridge.

You are 100% correct no flipping way!! My niece went through so much to adopt a little girl from Russia. It took almost 4 years & alot of money and all kinds of red tape. They are a well off family & they had to go to Russia twice. It was a big big deal. Plus after the returning to the US a lot of doctor visits (she had parasites & some other issues) But it was not an easy venture.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back