CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Status
Not open for further replies.

HesterMofet

Reaction score
Website
www.whiterosesociety.org
This is a very interesting case that I am surprised has not gotten more press. The Original Night Stalker started out as the East Area Rapist in Sacramento. He was reponsible for dozens of rapes and home invasions. He moved from Sacramento and continued his crimes, graduation from rape to murder. He murdered several couples. This case is fascinating to me because of the sheer volume of crimes committed by this man and that he was never caught.

Take a look at this website and tell me what you think(creepy):

www.ear-ons.com

Just a theory here, but he sounds like he switched to an almost BTK style of killings after his raping days were done. This is an escalating style of killer and I don't think he would have stopped. The theory that he is dead or incarcerated would seem the most sensible, but look at the BTK situation in Witchita, he was there all along. Hopefully there can be some closure to this case.

I saw a show about this case on television also; very likely it was cold case. It stood out as high on the creep factor for three reasons. No. 1 was the voice recording he left on a victim's answering machine. Secondly, there was a bit of info mentioned in passing about a town hall meeting at which a male resident spoke out saying it was hard to believe that this person could subdue a man and a woman in their home. The show then said that man's home was the next one that the guy hit. And last, the simple fact he hasn't been caught.
I went looking for more info about the man who spoke at the meeting, then became a victim, but haven't been able to find it yet.

That is a very scary website. The picture alone is frightening -- I haven't been able to listen to the voice. I had to turn it off. I'll wait until I am not home alone.

What were the dates and locations of his suspected crimes?

Richard, according to the website, the crimes occured from 06-18-76 to 05-04-86 in California.

I can't believe this suspect has not been caught for something and had his DNA put in the database!

They have so much information and evidence, how is it that he still isn't captured?

I think the network news stations should report on this again because I think it is definitely solvable.

The schedule and pattern of his offenses is interesting. He seems to change from attacking lone women to taking on couples. Also, where was he in the summer of 1977 and the second half of the summer 1978? There is a lot of activity and then suddenly, nothing for a while.

What happened to everyone here with this discussion? Anything new on this case? I find it very fascinating and wonder if this guy is still alive?

I live in Sacramento and definitely remember this case. There was a strong rumor (repeat, RUMOR) that the EAR was actually someone in law enforcement who was involved in the investigation. I usually would completely dismiss this idea, but an interesting dynamic is in play with this case - retired local LE who were active while this was ongoing get very confrontational when the case is mentioned in casual conversation. One retired officer told one person, "Do not look into that case - Leave it alone." I find that reaction odd, to say the least.

I do know one citizen who believes to this day that he observed the EAR. The man he says is the EAR was a collector for subscribers to the Sacramento Union, a daily afternoon paper that since folded (and has recently been ressurected as a weekly newpaper). He passed this information to the lead detective on the case, but the detective was killed on-duty about a week later during an unrelated case. The witness does not know if his information ever made it into the case file or if his suspect ever was investigated. He cannot get anyone currently active on this case to verify that they have his info, but they also do not seem that interested in agressively investigating it either.

The sad fact is that Sacramento LE failed to catch this guy and that he "graduated" into a full-fledged serial killer. I do not think that they want to find this guy - they just want everyone to forget about it. Capturing him today will only point out their past failure.

i don't think it was until 2002 where they were able to connect the murders he had commited in other parts of California to the Sacramento area rapes. DNA connected them.

that website is seriously terrifying. the picture itself and yes the voice too. plus his crimes were just as scary as can be, waking people up in the middle of the night at the foot of their beds....horrible. and yes it was so creepy how he must've been at the town meeting and decided the guy speaking out against him or whatever would be his next target.

i wonder why the LE said "Do not look into that case, leave it alone."

What are those noises in the background of the tape? Sound like an airport or bus station, or maybe a p. a. system in a large department store. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but this is a very interesting case.

Mr. E said:
That is a very scary website. The picture alone is frightening -- I haven't been able to listen to the voice. I had to turn it off. I'll wait until I am not home alone.
I made the mistake of listening about 3 this morning and haven't been able to sleep since. The voice is intentionally terrorizing. I could not understand everything said though. Can anyone make out the whole audio? It sounds like a tv is on in the background and maybe the tape is of a retape made at the scene because it also sounds like police radio talk in the background.
The knots he tied remind me of nautical knots. Of course you would learn them in the military too.
And I agree with the poster that mentioned BTK, this guys struck me as similar. I wonder if some of the sexual assaults where done after death. And like BTK he stopped for some reason. Got married? Had a family? Became stable with work? He is not so old he won't start up again. With so many victims this case should be very active still. Hard to believe someone could get away with so many crimes.

I don't think this tape has anything to do with this guy. That one break in his voice is either a muffled laugh or was sort of nasal sound. The blinging sound in the background sounds like added sounds. If its real sound its reminding of the sounds in the hospital, like when the elevator stops, makes a noise.

Also the pronunciation of Dead ta Dead ta.

I think this is fake.

Becba said:
I made the mistake of listening about 3 this morning and haven't been able to sleep since. The voice is intentionally terrorizing. I could not understand everything said though. Can anyone make out the whole audio? It sounds like a tv is on in the background and maybe the tape is of a retape made at the scene because it also sounds like police radio talk in the background.
The knots he tied remind me of nautical knots. Of course you would learn them in the military too.
And I agree with the poster that mentioned BTK, this guys struck me as similar. I wonder if some of the sexual assaults where done after death. And like BTK he stopped for some reason. Got married? Had a family? Became stable with work? He is not so old he won't start up again. With so many victims this case should be very active still. Hard to believe someone could get away with so many crimes.
I thought it was a TV in the background, too. Was the music part of the recording, or was it added by the website for effect? I've only been able to listen to it once. I guess I'm a chicken at heart.

i think that break in the voice is a sneeze, very little sneeze.

If thats a tv in the background its very quiet in the beginning of the tape. I thought I understood part of the womans voice saying "hanging around". I am thinking someone made a tape and played it in the phone, thus the small sneeze in the background the same time the tape is playing.

I don't think this tape has anything to do with this guy. That one break in his voice is either a muffled laugh or was sort of nasal sound. The blinging sound in the background sounds like added sounds. If its real sound its reminding of the sounds in the hospital, like when the elevator stops, makes a noise.

Also the pronunciation of Dead ta Dead ta.

I think this is fake.

I have done extensive research on this case and that voice recording is not a fake. Police insist it is tthe ONS because several rape victims recognized the voice of their attacker. Also this is not the only time he tormented a proir victim. He was known to frequently make terrorizing phone calls to his rape victims. Read about it at
http://www.venturacountystar.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_1572581,00.html

I read through the whole site this week (ears-ons). Very scary. When I listened to the tape, for some reason I thought "hospital" as the back ground noises. Not sure why.

I also wonderred if parts of the tape were cut out for the investigation, causing the apparent breaks in the sound.

But, what is it with the music at the end of the tape? I was assuming the website people added that for dramatic affect, and think it shouldn't have been added. (it's dramatic enough).

I also thought of BTK with the tying knots, and how this guy apparently acted like he wanted to steal things, but never stole them - kind of a like a distraction so he could think. I think I read Dennis RAder did that or something similar.

One more thing - I did'nt see this mentioned so I assume it is ruled out. But could this be the Zodiac? Didn't he get mad and say he would kill more but they (LE) wouldn't know it was him? And Zodiac also went after couples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail