GUILTY AZ - Luis Rios, 35, Adrienne Heredia, 29, & 4 kids murdered, La Mesa, 24 June 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A woman, three boys ages six, 11 and 12, and a nine-year-old girl were found dead inside the house in Yuma, a city on Arizona's border with California and Mexico, after neighbors reported hearing gunshots, Yuma police said in a statement.

Outside the house, a man, found in the back yard with at least one gunshot wound, was pronounced dead on arrival at a local hospital, police said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2005062...QvYa7gF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

Oh, this is so sad!

I noticed in the article it stated,

"They are warning that the suspect may be armed." MAY be armed? There are six people dead! I would bet he is definitely armed. Let's hope they can find the "beast" who did this soon.

Norred declined to release how the five victims in the house were killed. He also declined to release information about the suspect's connection to the victims or where the suspect may have gone.

The entire length of La Mesa Street was cordoned off from Barbara Avenue to Donna Avenue. That restriction continued Saturday.

Four homes were evacuated while police investigated the scene. The addresses of those homes were 2025, 2031, 2037 and 2043 E. La Mesa St.

Norred said there would likely be an update today on the homes that were evacuated.

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_17452.php

Authorities released little new information on the case Sunday other than to confirm that the victims included a mother and her four children, ages 6 to 13.

Besides Rios, police identified three of the other victims: Adrienne Heredia, 30; Danny Heredia III, 6; and Inez Newman, 9. The names of two other victims, both 13-year-old boys, were being withheld. Rios was Heredia's boyfriend, police said.

The couple had been together for about 10 months and had a good relationship, said Heredia's friend, Theresa Guerraro.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2005/jun/26/062607408.html

vert.yuma.sketch.ap.jpg

Stop the insanity -- man, this is way close to me, live outside of Phoenix -- Yuma is so close to the Mexico/Arizona border... not to mention, the last stop before hitting California...

refreshmap.adp

Hopefully there was enough time to alert the border officals -- that is so close and such a popular crosing too, if my memory is right.

The Mexico Border is Located 25 miles south of Yuma on Hwy 95.

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_17493.php

The wife of Luis Rios, the Yuma man who was one of six people murdered Friday night, says that she has been ignored by authorities.

"I've been feeling left out of this whole ordeal," Rebecca Rios of Yuma said. "Nobody's called me. I had to call the police myself. I feel left out of it."

Rebecca said that she and Luis have been married for 12 years and have one child together. Although Luis had begun seeing Adrienne Heredia, Rebecca was still hoping for a reconciliation.

Records in Yuma County Superior Court show that paperwork had recently been filed for a dissolution of the couple's marriage.

I found the article pertaining to Rebecca Rios, basically just odd -- Thanks to Arizona's easy to access court docs -- (for most counties) -- this is what the search provided....

Case # J-1401-CR-200201427
Yuma Justice - Criminal
D 1 - DEFNDT/RESPNDT REBECCA ANN RIOS
Count 1: CRIMINAL DAMAGEDEFACE Disposition Date: 06/11/2003 Disposition: *
Count 2: DISORDERLY CONDUCT-FIGHTING Disposition Date: 06/04/2003 Disposition: GUILTY
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE COMPLETION

Case # M-1441-CR-2005000662
Yuma Municipal - Criminal
D 1 - DEFNDT/RESPNDT REBECCA ANN
Count 1: ASSAULT-INTENT/RECKLESS/INJURE Disposition Date: 05/10/2005 Disposition: GUILTY
5/10/2008 CAL: TICK-PROBATION ENDS D 1
5/10/2005 JAIL/PRISON D 1
5/10/2005 PROBATION D 1

S-1400-DO-200500658
Yuma County Superior
Party Name: LUIS DIONICIO RIOS Party Type: D 1 - DEFNDT/RESPNDT Date of Birth: 10/29/1969
Party Name: REBECCA ANN RIOS Party Type: P 1 - PLNTIF/PETITNER Date of Birth: 05/20/1963
Filing Date: 05/23/2005
6/15/2005 ORDER OF TRANSFER TO MEDIATION
The main part that was weird was this statement....She stated in the article about

Even if things were not going well in their relationship, Rebecca said she and Luis always talked and always got along
I am not saying that she did anything -- but i would say she seems to have some anger issues and is currently on probation, not to mention just realeased last month from Jail/prison....

Adrienne Heredia and I had been friends since high school...I miss her=(

Are the slayings part of a lovers spat? Somethings not adding up here.
Who was charged with what? I'm not finding too much info about this case.

Just bumpin' this case up to see if anyone heard any updates

Here's something from August:

No arrests yet in June deaths of Yuma family

YUMA - Police have conducted more than 300 interviews in their investigation into the June deaths of a Yuma family, but no arrests have been made.

Adrienne Heredia, her boyfriend, Luis Rios, and her four children, ages 6 to 13, were killed at a home on June 24.

Police released an updated sketch of an investigative lead in July.

Yuma police spokesman Clint Norred said tips continue to come in but the rate has slowed. Investigators are still processing evidence.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0816azroundup16.html

This is from an old article:

No one has been taken into custody in the case. Police are still searching for a male, 27 to 34 years old, who is believed to be the killer. His whereabouts are unknown.

"I have no knowledge if the individual has gone to Mexico," Robinson said.

and

The sketch of the suspect was created with the help of witnesses who saw a man running away from the scene, according to Robinson. He said it was unknown if the suspect left in a vehicle.

According to police, the suspect is between 5 feet, 7 inches tall and 5 feet, 9 inches tall and weighs about 220 pounds. He has a stocky build, short black hair and was last seen in a black T-shirt and short blue baggy jeans.

http://sun.yumasun.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/10/17452

This case has bothered me because it has gotten so little media coverage. Probably because all the victims were non white. Sad. 6 people killed and hardly anyone in AZ knows about this, I emailed Daniel Slapian of Dateline to see if he would consider running a story on it. If all these victims were white this would be all over the news. Mom's lifesyle had alot to be desiered-4 kids with 4 different men. Still these children deserve justice

http://www.ci.yuma.az.us/7573.htm

AMW ran this story but not sure when

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=32860

Oh wow, how horrific, indeed....I can't recall ever having heard of this case, so I did a little Googling, and you're right, not much came up other than initial stories.

Let us know if you hear back from Dateline! I think it'd be an interesting story, and get the poor family's information out, at the very least. As we always say, somebody has to know *something*.

Daniel Slapian from Dateline emailed me back saying they would look into it. AMW has not done any updates on this case in almost 4 years. I mailed them a letter today asking for them to run this again.

Isn't this tragic? The 6 people killed 2 years ago in Florida in that rental house got alot more media coverage because they all were white. 5 people killed out here in Mesa, AZ 2 years ago is also in the news all the time. That suspect has been captured and is due to stand trial soon.

This one has beem swept under the rug for some reason. Even the 8 yr old boy out here from St. Johns that killed the 2 men has been all over the news.

But 6 people killed, 4 of them kids. Many people have not even heard of this and when I do bring it up they say "yeah I vaguely remember hearing something about it." So sad!!

That's great Slapian from Dateline emailed you back. I'm shocked.

People can say what they want but you are absolutely right - this case did not get national attention because the victims were poor minorities. If the victims had been a wealthy white woman and her four children in their big house in the suburbs it woudl have been big news.

Given the mother's history I have to wonder if the killer was not a jilted/jealous lover or ex-lover exacting his revenge.

Thank you for posting. I had never heard of this before.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back