VA Deputy shoots teenage daughter; thought she was intruder.

AnaTeresa

Reaction score
A sheriff’s deputy in Virginia shot his 16-year-old daughter in the torso when he mistook her for an intruder.

<snip>
Easton McDonald, a sergeant with the Loudoun County sheriff’s office, then crashed his car into a barricade as he tried to race her to the hospital, requiring paramedics to respond and take her to the hospital. The girl is in stable condition at Winchester Medical Center, according to Capt. Donnie Lang of the Frederick County sheriff’s office.

<snip>
In this case, as McDonald was getting ready for work at 3:30 a.m., he heard the family’s home security alarm alert him that a garage door had been opened, Lang said. When McDonald heard noises coming from the garage, he retrieved his privately owned gun—not his service revolver.

“He figured someone had broken into the garage, and his family was upstairs asleep,” Lang said.

When he opened the garage door, McDonald saw the dark shape of a person coming toward him.

“At that particular point, he discharges his firearm and strikes the person in the torso area,” Lang said. “Then he hears her voice and recognizes that it’s his daughter.”

http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/08/15/va-officer-shoots-daughter-330-m-mistakes-intruder/

At what point are people going to realize that a "shoot first" mentality is not the way?!

Stupid.

I used to teach NRA basic pistol and defense classes. The FIRST thing we teach in self-defense is to call out several times "Stop. Or I will shoot!" Ugh. Just ugh!

I'm glad she lived.

I wonder if she'll be on restriction for coming home at 3:30 am when she gets out of the hospital?

I'm glad she lived.

I wonder if she'll be on restriction for coming home at 3:30 am when she gets out of the hospital?

I'd think being shot would be punishment enough, myself.

She should have realised her Dad, A deputy, was going to shoot if he heard an intruder. She should have yelled out DAD.

She should have realised her Dad, A deputy, was going to shoot if he heard an intruder. She should have yelled out DAD.

She's 16. It's 3:30am. She's sneaking home, she's not going to call to her dad, she's trying to get past him. Come home at a decent hour or risk being shot. I'll bet there were no charges filed.

Bet she does not come home late again without permission.

He was not charged:

http://www.roanoke.com/news/virgini...cle_e415f187-2e97-54ab-bc5e-b62556b41cb0.html

This is ridiculous. If you have teenage kids, assume they will sneak out.
My Dad always did and neither of us ever got shot. :twocents:

If you think you have an intruder call out to them, you have the advantage already.
That would have prevented this if he had just called out before firing.
I personally think this should have had some consequences.
You don't just shoot people without verifying they are a risk to you.

I put most of the responsibility on him because he's a father, gun owner and COP.
He should know better than to fire at an unidentified person.
Teenage girls sneak out. Most of them get back inside without being shot by their father. :twocents:

Good grief! He should be charged.

Is, "I thought it was an intruder" a defense? If so, it's a pretty darned handy defense to cover a deliberate shooting.

Or maybe he wasn't charged because he was a deputy ... a perk that comes with the job.

He absolutely should have been charged. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure they don't teach you to fire at the first dark shape you barely see at the police academy.

Stupid.

I used to teach NRA basic pistol and defense classes. The FIRST thing we teach in self-defense is to call out several times "Stop. Or I will shoot!" Ugh. Just ugh!

What about if the dark shape already has a gun out pointed at you?

What about if the dark shape already has a gun out pointed at you?

Cops have killed lots of people holding cell phone and TV remotes using that logic.
You can't tell from a shadow what they are holding most of the time. :twocents:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back