GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
53b33943c00c4.preview-300.jpg

http://www.hidesertstar.com/news/article_30d113d0-016a-11e4-8d32-001a4bcf887a.html

Family members are asking for help from the public to locate 19-year-old Erin Corwin, who has been missing from her home on board the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center since 7 a.m. Saturday, June 28.

According to information provided by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, Corwin’s husband reported her missing on Sunday, June 29. Corwin is reported to be three months pregnant, according to the sheriff’s department.

According to her sister-in-law, DeeAnna Heavilin, Corwin left in her 2013 Toyota Corolla on her way to Joshua Tree National Park and has not been seen or heard from since... The vehicle, she said, later, was found on Valle Vista Road.

http://www.kmir.com/story/25916449/public-help-sought-in-case-of-missing-woman

She's described as 5-foot-2 with light brown hair. She was last seen about 7am Saturday morning.

Her sister tells KMIR NEWS that Corwin was apparently on her way to Joshua Tree National Park to look for a campsite for a future trip there.

http://www.kesq.com/news/woman-reported-missing-in-twentynine-palms/26746852

The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department and Joshua Tree National Park Rangers began an extensive search by air and on the ground. The San Bernardino Sheriff's Homicide Detail was also called in to assist with the investigation.

Erin's FB: https://www.facebook.com/eheavilin

Media, Map & Timeline

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Information that our members are posting in our private Scanner Forum is to remain in the Scanner Forum. If something interesting is heard, a member can post in the public forum that there is something going on, so members don't miss anything. If there is scanner information posted in the MSM, it can be quoted here WITH A LINK to the MSM article.

We are a victim friendly site. We have no suspects or persons of interest at this time, no one is to be discussed as such until or unless this happens. No sleuthing of friends or family. No rumor.

CL and NL may be discussed and sleuthed. The minor children that have come up may NOT be sleuthed or named, not even in direct quotes. ALSO, IM may not be sleuthed.

The closed facebook may NOT be discussed or linked too.

Really just a couple now but as the case starts I'm sure we all would have more. For now:

- In the status hearing does the D.A. have to disclose motive or just evidence?
- If the D.A. asks for the death penalty does the case automatically go to trial or can defense submit a plea deal at the time?
- What determines a change in venue? Unless you lived under a rock the past 7 months I'm sure getting a fair jury pool may be a challenge?

That's all I have at this moment but it's still early here and my mind is not fully engaged :thinking:

Thanks Bessie!

Hi guys, heard you rang me!

A status hearing is generally just a hearing at which calendaring takes place. The court and the attorneys determine how much time they will need for things in order to calendar the next hearing. I;m not sure at what stage in the process this case is,
but I'm assuming a preliminary hearing has yet to take place, just an arraignment.

Motive never has to be disclosed. Some evidence will be disclosed at a preliminary hearing but not at a status hearing.

A plea deal can always be reached if all sides agree. Even if the state seeks the death penalty. But they have to agree.

A change of venue is based on a motion by the party seeking the change and too much publicity or negative local sentiment is usually grounds.

I've been out of touch with the outside world due to a ton of work piling up on me...my assistant quit after he started crying and threw a stapler on his way out. But I did hear about the supreme court ruling the death penalty unconstitutional. Would that go into effect now? I remember the Manson family was originally on death row and then the death penalty was overturned as were the death sentences. Is this going to be a similar situation?

The supreme court did not rule the death penalty unconstitutional. One federal court judge did as to one case in California. However, his decision was a well written one and it will now be reviewed by the 9th circuit. Talk is that judges around the country may emulate this decision, and of course, in other cases in California:
Carney's ruling applies only to Jones' case, but will have broad significance if upheld on appeal.

Legal analysts expect Atty. Gen. Kamala D. Harris to ask the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to review the decision. Its fate there would probably depend on which judges reviewed it. Analysts said if the ruling were upheld by the 9th Circuit, it would probably go to the Supreme Court.

"I think it has a shot in the 9th Circuit, but I don't know about the U.S. Supreme Court," said Santa Clara University law professor Gerald Uelmen, who was chairman of a state commission that concluded the system needed substantially more money to operate effectively. "It is conceivable that the U.S. Supreme Court and the 9th Circuit could say California is such an outlier — its system is so dysfunctional, with twice the national delay — that it cannot be sustained." http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...lty-federal-judge-experts-20140717-story.html
It is premature to state that the death penalty could be overturned in this case based on the one, federal judge's decision. If it ultimately is, years down the road, the death sentence would commuted to life in prison.

I hope that all helps!!

SB County Sheriff @sbcountysheriff Sheriff McMahon will hold a press conference today,12:00 p.m. to release new information regarding the disappearance of Erin Corwin.

Also on their facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/sbcountysheriff

Sheriff McMahon will hold a press conference today,12:00 p.m. to release new information regarding the disappearance of Erin Corwin.

PRESS CONFERENCE

San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon will hold a press conference on Monday, August 18, 2014, 12:00 p.m. at Sheriff’s Headquarters, Main Conference Room. The focus of the press conference will be to release new information regarding the investigation into the disappearance of Erin Corwin.

Information will be not be released prior to the press conference.

WHERE: San Bernardino Co. Sheriff’s Department – Headquarters Bldg.
655 E. 3rd Street
San Bernardino
WHEN: August 18, 2014
TIME: 12:00 p.m.

https://local.nixle.com/alert/5252134/

You might want to check the scanner forum for yesterday's posts about a helicopter trip (mods, I hope that's indirect enough).

:yourock:TIA to those willing and able to transcribe the presser for those of us unable to listen!

Just heard the news!! So glad that Erin might finally get justice!

After all this time I did not expect her to be alive. So, if they did in fact find evidence that led to the arrest of CL, then I am happy with the result but sad for her young life and for her family.

if anyone finds any national news channels that intend to cover the conference please let us know. HLN likes to cover missing person cases but they just show looped pre recorded video segments during the first half of the day so they probably won't have anything until JVM/NG later. Not sure that CNN would cover this, but I'm out of the loop on this case / have spent my time in the scanner thread instead, so apologies if this is info that I should already know. and, thanks!

So they did find something yesterday. I am so happy about that but so sad that it turned out the way most of us thought it would. It's great news that Christopher Lee was arrested. They must have all their ducks in a row now to make that arrest.

Thank goodness it's moving forward I am thinking of her family today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie