CA CA - Orange Co., WhtMale UP12758, 50-65, jumped from I-5 freeway, Jul'14

astridxx

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12758

(POST MORTEM AT LINK)

Witnesses saw him walking and then he jumped off the overpass onto the freeway below. He was not struck by vehicles but did have internal traumatic injuries. He had no belongings on him but had a "watch tan" on the left wrist.

Brown/gray Hair
Significant hair in ears
Bushy eyebrows extending to nose bridge
S/P goatee
Brown eyes
Groomed, slightly dirty fingernails
Unkempt, long toenails
Mole/Wart on R side of forehead
Bumpy growths all over nose/forehead/cheeks
183 lbs
71 inches tall

I see a resemblance between the UID and Robert Kenneth Barela. The picture on his Charley page is the only one I can find, so not a lot to compare to. He was heavier than our UID, but he could've lost weight in the three years since he disappeared, especially if he fell on hard times, which would explain the suicide jump. What do you think?

Robert Kenneth Barela

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barela_robert.html

I see a resemblance between the UID and Robert Kenneth Barela. The picture on his Charley page is the only one I can find, so not a lot to compare to. He was heavier than our UID, but he could've lost weight in the three years since he disappeared, especially if he fell on hard times, which would explain the suicide jump. What do you think?

Robert Kenneth Barela

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/barela_robert.html

Spitting image. He isn't on the 78 person long rule out list -- submit it!!

I called the coroner's office and left a message for the caseworker. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

Just got a call back from the coroner's office. They were very receptive and said they would look at Mr. Barela and let me know if he can be ruled out or not.

Fabulous work JJ!! Did you get any more info from them about the guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing that we didn't already know. She did hint at the fact that if Mr. Barela had a California DL, (he is missing from San Fran and the only image appears to be a DL photo) the comparison would be fairly simple as his thumbprint would be on file. Let's hope we find out quickly whether he can be ruled out or not!

What is particularly striking about this case is that the guy had long, unkempt toenails, but was otherwise clean shaven (for the most part) and well groomed.

Yeah, that struck me as odd, too. The only explanation I could have for that is that many men of that age develop extremely thick, almost bark-like toenails (I know, gross!), that make clipping and caring for them fairly difficult. That might explain it. Or maybe he just didn't like feet!

What is particularly striking about this case is that the guy had long, unkempt toenails, but was otherwise clean shaven (for the most part) and well groomed.

It's possible that he had a back injury or another medical problem that prevented him from bending to clip them.

Just heard back from the Orange County Coroner... Robert Barela is NOT a match for this UID. Back to the search!

Ergh he was such a good one too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/24818/1/

Obviously that picture is super old and not very helpful. from what I read of this missing person, he was bipolar, a recluse, and often got toenail infections from not clipping his toenails (!). Height & weight are close. No DNA or dentals on file, though . The UID looks older than 51 to me, but he does have what looks like a lot of hair.

Given the bushy eyebrows and ear-hair so significant it’s mentioned in Namus, I would see if this man was of Greek/Mediterranean origins?

He does not look transient to me, his pants and shoes look a bit worn out and tired but not dirty or damaged. Kind of how I imagine a single man with depression living alone would be wearing. Same for toenails. He may have thought ok, nobody sees them anyway, why should i groom them? May also have suffered from toenail fungus and may not have wanted to touch the nails.

I hope this poor guy gets his name back. I am sure someone out there loves and misses him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back