MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
The fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager Saturday by a police officer in a St. Louis suburb came after a struggle for the officer’s gun, police officials said Sunday, in an explanation that met with outrage and skepticism in the largely African-American community.The killing of the youth, Michael Brown, 18, ignited protests on Saturday and Sunday in Ferguson, Mo., a working-class suburb of about 20,000 residents. Hundreds of people gathered at the scene of the shooting to question the police and to light candles for Mr. Brown, who was planning to begin college classes on Monday.
Mr. Brown’s stepfather, Louis Head, held a cardboard sign that said, “Ferguson police just executed my unarmed son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/us/police-say-mike-brown-was-killed-after-struggle-for-gun.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?253372-Police-shooting-of-unarmed-teenager-Michael-Brown-St-Louis&p=10861113&posted=1#post10861113

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-teen-Michael-Brown-2&p=10867195#post10867195

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

:modstop:

A couple of things:

1) We are not going to allow links to blogs in this case without prior approval. And approvals will be tough to get.

2) Posts directed at other posters rather than the case will earn a TO without explanation. If you have a problem with another member, use the alert feature and scroll on by OR use the ignore feature and keep it to yourself

Please continue here but do so respectfully. :please:

In a community of mostly AA, one would think more would run or be on the city council. They need money to run. I heard one AA interviewed mention they don't get the money to run. The discussion just seems to be by everyone in the press about the number of AA officers on the force when the city government is a problem. Follow the money, imo, and who gives it.

Do we have any map sleuthers around? I have been looking at an arrest record for a Mike Brown that some say is his record. there is currently a FOIA request for his record, but in the meantime, I have a question. The record says his address is

<modsnip>

I mapped it looks like it is in the middle of nowhere. Am I missing something?

In a community of mostly AA, one would think more would run or be on the city council. They need money to run. I heard one AA interviewed mention they don't get the money to run. The discussion just seems to be by everyone in the press about the number of AA officers on the force when the city government is a problem. Follow the money, imo, and who gives it.

How many actually go and vote even?

Since we've learned officer Wilson had an injury to his eye, it makes me wonder if it was his dominant eye.

While we're all speculating I'd like for people to try an exercise which affects shooting a gun and accuracy.

Hold one arm out with one finger upward. With both eyes open cover an object across the room with that one finger and both eyes open. (I/E a sugar bowl, bottle, smaller picture) Now keeping the object covered and in the same place, alternate both left and right eye open and close, one at a time.

Does one eye make the object move?

Is Daily Kos an acceptable source to link about the record of an officer in Ferguson?

Do we have any map sleuthers around? I have been looking at an arrest record for a Mike Brown that some say is his record. there is currently a FOIA request for his record, but in the meantime, I have a question. The record says his address is

<modsnip>

I mapped it looks like it is in the middle of nowhere. Am I missing something?

Troy MO is about an hour northwest of Ferguson - farm/livestock country

MB is not from Ferguson; it's been reported that he was visiting his gramma (that summer?) and NOTE he did graduate from Normandy HS which is where kids would go if they lived in that apt complex unless the student chooses to attend an accredited school within the StL metro area (well, schools that will accept them) - but that's a entire other discussion. I read where his mother's address is in East StL & I have not seen anything about where his father lives

I also am pointing out that MB attended multiple HS during his tenure based on the "victim profiles" I have read

That too. imo This in response to popsicle.

If it is not MSM it does not belong here. Please post responsibly.

CNN now.. hip hop star Kweli arguing with Don Lemmon.. omg

How many actually go and vote even?

In the last mayoral election, 12% of the total population of Ferguson, according to a show on 971talk.com. I don't know how that breaks down by race. It was on the Jamie Allman show, I think Monday morning's show. They may have replays on there. I recommend podcasts of Dave Glover's show and Jamie Allman's show on that station. I didn't hear much of Dana's show but it's usually reliable. They are all local and have a handle on the local culture.

I'm having trouble posting Chris Matthews interview of Charles Oglestreet on Andrea Mitchell Reports. It's priceless. If someone could help.

Oh...just remembered...

I rarely drive at night, but last night I had to get out after dark. I noticed a number of blue porch lights across town.

My town is pretty diverse...people of various ethnic backgrounds, people from various cultures, many countries represented in our population...and our neighborhoods reflect that diversity as well (no "clusters" here and there). I would love to do a survey of those homes displaying the blue lights to determine if support is across-the-board or restricted to one group or another. Knowing that my community is pretty culturally competent and educated, my best guess is that LE support is more of the across-the-board variety.

Point of note: Our crime rate is higher than state averages, but we are still well below national averages. And our criminals are across the board culturally and ethnically as well.

Bottom line: As a community, we appreciate LE and hate crime, but we do not hate groups of people. I wouldn't live here if that wasn't the case.

Signed,

Someone Who Lives in One of the Best-Kept Secrets in America

LindaNJ

If a community is 80% + black...and a black person is pulled over ...how in the world is that racial profiling?

Especially, if the police force is primarily white.

Seems to me, the problem is young black people from the community have no desire for a career on law enforcement.

All IMO
so true

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members