MD MD - Middletown, Appalachian Trail, WhtMale 55-80, UP2283, poss smoker, miscl items, clothes, Sep'78

Houston Mom

Reaction score
This well dress gentleman was found on Sept 5, 1978. He is described as 5'11", 200 lbs, with grey/black hair. He was found apparently on the Applachian Trail, but with dress pants and shoes would not have been a hiker. He wore distinctive glasses and cigarettes were found near by. Dentals and DNA are available.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2283

Attachments

• UID.jpg
    UID.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 59
I submitted Charles Ulrich as a potential match. Rule out by dentals was not conclusive as Mr Ulrich has an upper dental and UID has no upper teeth (post mortem).

Mr. Ulrich went missing Jan 29, 1975 from Uhrichsville, OH. He was 63 years old. At 5'10" and 155 lbs, he had grey hair. He wore glasses. DNA is needed for rule out.

Attachments

• ULRICHCOLLAGE.jpg
    ULRICHCOLLAGE.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 68
NamUs UP Case 2283

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/2283

Unidentified White male
* Found September 5, 1978 in Middletown
, MD

* Estimated Year of Death: 1978 to 1978

Vital Statistics
* Estimated age: 55-80 years old
* Approximate Height: 71' estimated
* Distinguishing Characteristics:
Gray with a little black, 1 1/2 inches long; Advanced degenerative arthritis; Osteoarthritis; Advanced periodontal disease and cavities (caries);

* Dentals:
Dental information /
charting is available and entered

* Clothing/Jewelry:
1. Button down pale blue and gray shirt, short sleeved, neck size 16-16 1/2, has two front pockets
2. Gray trousers, dress pants with two back pockets with buttons (dark material for the inside of the pockets)
3. Blue nylon ski type jacket size L with knit ribbed fitted wrist sections and zipper and snap closures and pockets
4. White handkerchief
5. Black leather belt cinched at waist measuring 36 3/4 inches; 1. Dark Blue socks (dress socks)
2. Black leather shoes size 12 with four sets of eyelets on each shoe; Timex Calendar gold color watch with silver colored band which had two gold colored links; Glasses with brown rim;
1. Stainless steel butcher knife with wooden handle
2. Comb
3. Green trash bag
4. Armour Vienna Sausage can
5. Cigarettes
6. Matches
7. White towel

* DNA:
Sample submitted - Tests complete

Case History:
Subject was found in a wooded area. He may have been a smoker as a cigarette was found at the scene."

I have previously attempted to submit John William Spiers as a potential match for the UID. Weight, height, hair colour and other aspects are very similar, and both the decedent and the missing person wore glasses. The UID had osteoarthritis, and the MP walked with a noticeable limp. The MP, although missing from Chesterfield, was last seen in Stafford VA. This is closer to Maryland, suggesting that the MP was heading in the general direction.

MP - https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/25674/0/

However, the match was turned down due to the lack of DNA, dental records and fingerprints on the part of the MP. I am posting this in the vain hope that a close relative or friend will see this thread and respond. I am not conclusively sure that the MP and UID are the same person, but as far as I am concerned there is nothing to suggest otherwise.

Almost a year later, and still no identifiers to confirm a potential match for John William Spiers and the John Doe.

Lloyd Farrar could be a potential match for UP2283. If Lloyd’s hair was cut short, he has similar features to UID.

UP 5’11” (Lloyd 6’0”)

UP 200 lbs (Lloyd 200-205 lbs)

UP found with a Timex Calendar gold color watch with silver colored band which had two gold colored links. (Lloyd - rare watch)

UP and Lloyd both wear glasses.

Lloyd missing 3 1/2 months prior to UP found. PMI is stated at 6 months.

Lloyd missing from CA and UP found in MD. This is quite a distance so not sure if this would make it unlikely but I’m curious about the rare watch and if it matches the description of the one found with our unidentified male.

Would anyone else think this is a possibility or too much of a stretch?

1664761146458.jpeg1664761186249.jpeg

2 Missing Person Exclusions:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP1835Frank Santmyer, Jr.
Date of Last ContactDecember 02, 1977
StateMD
CountyBaltimore

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP21449William Bishop, Jr.
Date of Last ContactMarch 02, 1976
StateTN
CountySevier

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member