GUILTY CA - Carolyn Avdeef, 62, Lake Forest, 15 June 2005

Carolyn Dunn Avdeef, a 62-year-old Lake Forest resident,
has been missing for about two weeks.

City News Service
Friday, July 1, 2005

LAKE FOREST – The Orange County Sheriff's Department announced today that it is looking for a couple in connection with the disappearance of a Lake Forest Woman missing for about two weeks.

The two people being sought as "persons of interest" in the disappearance of 62-year-old Carolyn Dunn Avdeef are 22-year-old Nicholas James Vovos and his 39-year-old wife, Deborah Sue Miller Vovos, both of Riverside, sheriff's department spokesman Jim Amormino said.

Both Vovos and his wife should be regarded as armed and dangerous, he said, adding that Deborah Vovos is the daughter of Avdeef's roommate.

Amormino said deputies "served multiple search warrants throughout the night and early in the morning" as part of the investigation. Avdeef's residence at 22811 Belquest Drive was one of the locations searched, he said.

Avdeef was last seen by her family June 15 and reported missing by her employer June 22.

The Vovoses may be driving Avdeef's car, a dark-blue 2005 Honda Accord, license plate 5KVN251, and they may have replaced the license plates with temporary paper plates, Amormino said.

Nicholas Vovos is white, 6 feet, 170 pounds, with numerous tatoos, brown hair and brown eyes, and also goes by the names Nick Waters and Eric Roberts, Amormino said. His wife is white, 5 feet 8, 210 pounds, with red or brown hair and blue eyes.

Avdeef has worked at John Bauer's printing company for five years.

"She is always on time," he said earlier this week. "She cares more about the company sometimes than I do, so for her not to be around is very concerning."

A special bulletin regarding Avdeef's disappearance went out to law enforcement across California on Tuesday, sheriff's Lt. Hans Strand said.

Soon after she went missing, Avdeef's credit cards were used in ways that suggest "financial irregularities," he said.

Avdeef is 5-foot-7, weighs about 160 pounds and has blond hair and blue eyes. She walks with a limp because of a hip problem but is otherwise healthy and does not take medication, according to sheriff's officials.

Anyone with information on Avdeef's whereabouts or who spots her car was urged to call the sheriff's department at (714) 628-7170.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/07/01/s...icle_581485.php

Oh no......this doesn't bode well....

Oh dear. Doesn't sound good. I hope they find these people soon. Prayers for her, her family & friends.

I don't understand these two quotes:

Both Vovos and his wife should be regarded as armed and dangerous, he said, adding that Deborah Vovos is the daughter of Avdeef's roommate.

in relation to this quote:

Avdeef was last seen by her family June 15 and reported missing by her employer June 22.

So she had a roommate (who is unnamed) but the roommate didn't report her missing. No one reported her missing until the employer did. Who is the roommate and what is his/her relationship to Avdeef?

Sorry, this doesn't look good. :(

fran......

http://ocregister.com/ocr/2005/07/03/sections/breaking_news/article_584178.php
A woman believed to be a "person of interest" in the disappearance of a Lake Forest woman was found dead in a car after a shootout with police in Colorado today, an Orange County sheriff’s official said.

Deborah Sue Miller Vovos, 39, of Riverside, was wanted for questioning in the disappearance of 62-year-old Carolyn Dunn Avdeef. Authorities have not confirmed she is the dead woman, but the woman matches Vovos’s description, said Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.

Vovos’ husband – Riverside resident Nicholas James Vovos, 22 – was arrested after the shootout, which happened following a 60-mile pursuit that ended at a gas station in Loch Buie, Colo., authorities said.

snip....................................................

No information was immediately available about the whereabouts of Avdeef, who was last seen by her family on June 15 and was reported missing by her employer on June 22.

Nicholas Vovos, 22, was arrested after the shootout at the Shell gas station just off Interstate 76 at Lochbuie, about 25 miles northeast of Denver.

His wife, Deborah Sue Miller Vovos, 39, was killed. It was unclear whether she was shot by police or turned a gun on herself, authorities said.

"We're still sorting out who fired what," Lochbuie Police Chief Steve Davis said.

The pair were wanted for questioning in Orange County, Calif., in connection with the disappearance of 62-year-old Carolyn Dunn Avdeef, who was last seen June 15.

Authorities in California said the Vovoses had lived at Avdeef's home, and they believe the couple stole her car and her credit cards. The Honda Accord found in Lochbuie was registered to Avdeef. Deborah Vovos was the daughter of Avdeef's roommate.

Nicholas Vovos was wanted on a parole violation and has an extensive criminal history in California, Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino said. Deborah Vovos had a criminal record as well.

Authorities in California fear Avdeef may be the victim of foul play.

A be-on-the-lookout alert was issued for the couple and the car after the pair eluded the Wyoming Highway Patrol on Interstate 80 on Saturday night near Laramie, officials said.

Sunday's chase began shortly after 8 a.m. when a Wiggins police officer spotted the car. He followed at a distance and radioed for backup.

When Morgan County sheriff's deputies arrived, the pursuit began. Speeds reached more than 100 mph as the deputies and the Wiggins officer pursued the Honda westbound on I-76, Morgan County Under sheriff John Fryar said. Soon they were joined by state troopers and other agencies.

As the Honda sped west, Lochbuie police put "stop sticks" on the interstate, blowing out the car's front tires. The car continued for about 6 miles on its rims, showering sparks along the way.

The Honda exited the interstate at Lochbuie, pulling into a gas station. Deputies rammed the car to stop it, Fryar said. While the car was still moving, the driver pulled a gun and fired a shotgun at the trailing officers, hitting a sheriff's

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2839010

registered site

Thirteenth Judicial District Judge Michael Singer imposed a gag order on investigators at the request of Vovos' public defender, Morgan County Sheriff Jim Crone said.

"This is sort of unusual to have a gag order in something like this," Crone said Monday.

Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department, confirmed that Orange County deputies spoke with Vovos, but he said Vovos did not divulge Avdeef's whereabouts.

Because the couple are alleged to have committed numerous crimes in at least two states and multiple jurisdictions in Colorado, authorities must sort out who will take the lead in prosecuting Vovos, Davis said. The Colorado Bureau of Investigation is investigating the case.

Amormino said Avdeef's roommate, who is Deborah Vovos' mother, is cooperating with the investigation.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2840031

http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2005/07/05/sections/local/local/article_585331.php

Tuesday, July 5, 2005

Police are still seeking missing woman
One 'person of interest' is held, the other is dead after shootout.

Register staff and wire reports

The fate of a missing Lake Forest woman remained unknown Monday, a day after a high-speed chase and shootout in northern Colorado ended with one "person of interest" in jail and one dead.

Nicholas James Vovos, 22, and Deborah Sue Miller Vovos, 39, were being sought for questioning in the disappearance of Carolyn Dunn Avdeef, 62, last seen June 15.
snip.................................................................................................
Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino on Monday again asked the public for help in finding Avdeef, though foul play is suspected.

"I'm sure somebody out there knows something," Amormino said. "There's no reason to fear (Nicholas and Deborah Vovos) anymore. They have been accounted for. People can call anonymously."

The number is (714) 628-7170.

snip...................................................................................................

Nicholas Vovos was being held on suspicion of attempted murder of a police officer and felony evading arrest.

He will be charged and tried in Colorado before facing charges, if any, in Orange County,

Hi, I have been reading these posts, and I just have to tell someone that Carolyn Dunn Avdeef is one of my mom's closest friends and I appreciate what you are trying to do. Unfortunately, so much time has passed...

Both the Vovoses had records, Nicholas Vovos is 22 years old and has spent 2.5 years of his adult life in prison. He doesn't sound like a good person. But Carolyn was. A good, trusting person. The roommate must know something, she didn''t report Carolyn missing. She is the mother of Deborah Vovos, the woman killed in Colorado. Deborah also had a record, one of which was animal abuse and fraud for a bunk kennel.

Carolyn has 2 children, in their 20's. I can't reach them, or get their numbers.

SHe also has an ex-husband named Bob or Robert Avdeef, whose phone is disconnected and he is newly separated or divorced.

Carolyn just received a large inheritance, COINCIDENTALLY. And her sister and her had troubles over it.

I don't now why the gag order..... something is not right.

I've given all this info to the police.

If anyone knows anything, please post for me, my mom and I are going crazy!!!

originally posted by: Tracy Jackson

Hi, I have been reading these posts, and I just have to tell someone that Carolyn Dunn Avdeef is one of my mom's closest friends and I appreciate what you are trying to do. Unfortunately, so much time has passed...

Both the Vovoses had records, Nicholas Vovos is 22 years old and has spent 2.5 years of his adult life in prison. He doesn't sound like a good person. But Carolyn was. A good, trusting person. The roommate must know something, she didn''t report Carolyn missing. She is the mother of Deborah Vovos, the woman killed in Colorado. Deborah also had a record, one of which was animal abuse and fraud for a bunk kennel.

Carolyn has 2 children, in their 20's. I can't reach them, or get their numbers.

SHe also has an ex-husband named Bob or Robert Avdeef, whose phone is disconnected and he is newly separated or divorced.

Carolyn just received a large inheritance, COINCIDENTALLY. And her sister and her had troubles over it.

I don't now why the gag order..... something is not right.

I've given all this info to the police.

If anyone knows anything, please post for me, my mom and I are going crazy!!!
Hi Tracy,

Welcome to the community, and thank you for sharing your information.

I do feel that everything you feel would be Important to the police department then it would be a very good idea.

Every lead provided and information that the police "might not now about yet"

I will be taking all inforamtion you just provided and work on it right away.

My very best to you and your mother, and the entire Avdeef family.

If you want to PM me the names of the kids for privacy purposes, I can work on trying to locate an address or phone number for you.

I have been following this case since it started but did not find this forum until just last week, so I am glad to see someone who knew Carolyn speaking up on her behalf.

Please stay in touch.

It was just on ABC News that a decomposed body was found in the San Bernardino mountains that they believe is Carolyn....:(

I guess we all knew how this would end. At least the family may now be able to give her a proper burial. :(

Prayers to the family,
fran

I have just heard the news. I believe the body was identified as Carolyn's. The only other positive thing that can become of this besides closure for her family and her friends, is NOW that *&^%$#@ Vovos will hopefully be convicted for her murder, not just be in jail for running from and shooting at police in Colorado. Sorry, I am weak and want vengeance. Carolyn was a close family friend and a good person. These people that did this are scum. And things like this happen all the time. I am infuriated. Where are these people's morals?:furious:

Sorry just needed to vent!

tjack1970 said:
I have just heard the news. I believe the body was identified as Carolyn's. The only other positive thing that can become of this besides closure for her family and her friends, is NOW that *&^%$#@ Vovos will hopefully be convicted for her murder, not just be in jail for running from and shooting at police in Colorado. Sorry, I am weak and want vengeance. Carolyn was a close family friend and a good person. These people that did this are scum. And things like this happen all the time. I am infuriated. Where are these people's morals?:furious:

No apology needed. At least the family will now be able to bury her, and will not be wondering where she is. So many we see on here are not found, at least not for years. And as you say- now there will be a chance to get justice for her.

tjack1970 said:

I just heard on the morning news that there is still no positive ID yet. Wonder what's taking so long.
So sorry about your loss, TJack, if it is indeed Carolyn.

LaurenD said:
I just heard on the morning news that there is still no positive ID yet. Wonder what's taking so long.
So sorry about your loss, TJack, if it is indeed Carolyn.

I guess the body was partially buried but (sorry for this, but) animals had gotten to it. They said the id process, so far, was inconclusive. They're going to have to go by dental records.

JMHO
fran

PS. This was in the OCRegister, but you need a password.fran

tjack1970:

Sorry for your loss. I can imagine this is hard. Don't apologize for being angry. You have a right to be.

:blowkiss:

fran

Thanks so much for everyone's concern and support. The things I worry about now is..... the findings in the autopsy report....was she alive when they left her?....How long before they killed her? Did they torture her to get her money? She was missing for almost a whole week before any of this hit the news. They had some time with her, I'm afraid for her.

She had such a hard life and she was so strong and helpful with others, especially animals. I have a hard time understanding why something like this has happened to her. My mom made me feel a little better when she said "maybe Carolyn is getting her reward now". I hope she's rewarded well.

Thanks Fran and Mysteriew and Lauren and everyone else.:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrigokurita
Back