At what point do you lose interest in a case?

meanmaryjean

Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)
Reaction score
I find myself losing interest in certain cases as soon as an arrest is made or the MP is located. I don't really care what happens downstream.

But other cases, I hang on every detail even after 'resolution'.

I'm wondering how this is for you - thoughts?

When people get too opinionated and make assumptions not backed up by facts.

^^^^^^^This! Also, when the thread gets so tedious and posts are redundant; when the thread gets hijacked by posters who have an agenda; no progress in a case.

Thanks for asking!

For me, it varies by case. I have never followed a trial closely (yet) so I do tend to lose interest after the arrest. There are cases where I was very active on, and are still unsolved, but I just don't have the same interest. I think because when you log onto WS, and there are pages of posts, many theories, new articles, everyday, that sort of "environment" contributes to the interest. If there are no new posts on WS and no new articles, how do you stay interested? You could read social media, but that will just get on your nerves. And with most cases, there is not much information about them out there, where it would be impossible to read all of it.

When nothing is happening in a case and the same old facts are constantly being rehashed...

All of the above and also when a case/thread is given its own forum and suddenly instead of one thread to follow, there are a dozen of potential interest. The post count might be the same but it seems so scattered and overwhelming to me that I give up after a couple of days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Constant court delays and publication bans are my pet peeve as well as what most of you have posted above.

I quit right away when its given a forum. I think its too hard sifting thru them to find info.Most of the time I quit when they catch the perp. Some have gone cold but I do check them some times to see if there have been any development and keep hoping. I follow very few trials.I believe I have just followed Casey A and Jodi A .

I find myself losing interest in certain cases as soon as an arrest is made or the MP is located. I don't really care what happens downstream.

But other cases, I hang on every detail even after 'resolution'.

I'm wondering how this is for you - thoughts?

This exactly. Once a perp is arrested and charged or a MP is found I usually move on. I check back frequently to see if anything new has happened but I don't love hashing out the same old stuff over and over when there is nothing new to add.

Also, sometimes cases can be incredibly fast moving yet I just can't wrap my brain around all the players and details no matter how hard I try.

When the new information stops coming.
Or
While waiting for the trial to start.
Or
Immediately after the verdict.
Or
Unless we're talking about the few cases ( unresolved) I can't let go of...
Or
the JonBenet case where there will NEVER be justice or a definitive answer....that one I try to walk
Away...by keep going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

all of the above and also when a case/thread is given its own forum and suddenly instead of one thread to follow, there are a dozen of potential interest. The post count might be the same but it seems so scattered and overwhelming to me that i give up after a couple of days.

Sent from my ipad using tapatalk

this!

When nothing is happening in a case and the same old facts are constantly being rehashed...

Most of the time, this. I still peek in the threads from time to time to see if anything new has been added.

I tend to stick to cases in my own state as I usually have a direct hand in them to one degree or another. On occasion or by PM request I offer technical assistance to other cases out of state.

I wouldn't say I lose "interest" in a case, but I will stop following cases unless and until there is new information. Like LinasK says, when facts are endlessly rehashed . . . . . And I particularly agree with Kensie about people making assumptions not backed up by facts. Or let's say, people making certainties of assumptions.

After the arrest UNLESS the alleged guilty party has a fighting chance at acquittal.

This is a big one. Even worse when those who get too opinionated start bulldogging everyone who disagrees and power posts their opinions without backing them up with facts. It makes me tired and I tend to wander off at that point.

I lose interest in a case when there is nothing more to discuss due to lack of LE pressers, new information, media coverage, etc. and folks begin to hash/rehash, nitpick whatever details are known.

I also don't appreciate when new 'sleuthers join a discussion with their impressions of a case that they have not commented on previously but want to present an opinion that seems to me to be largely based on information and commentary that they've gleaned from those who have been with a case from the beginning.

:moo:

I don't ever lose interest in a case that caught my attention, I just will stop checking in as often once it feels like there are no new facts. The Adam Walsh case for example still interests me but there isn't any real new information.

The Casey Anthony case had me hooked all the way through to the acquittal. Few cases do that. I lose interest during the interval between the first days or weeks after the big media-covered searches, until the walker/jogger/hunter/herb-digger/fisherman stumble on the remains. Maybe lose interest is not the right term. But reading people speculating about nit picky details that there is no way we will ever know (did she take the kids shoes off before or after dinner?) is boring and pointless to me. For example, Paul Kochu, worries me greatly. I was an RN at age 22, starting my first real nursing job, so I really wonder what is happening/happened with him. But right now I am just biding time, assuming when it warms up over the next few months he will be found. I won't speculate about his roommates or family just to talk about something because there is no evidence available to us implicating them in any way. But I keep an ear/eye open for when he is found. And I will be really sad that day.

Yes why are there no new posts on this site . I was hoping to see some new cases.

I lose interest in a case when there is nothing more to discuss due to lack of LE pressers, new information, media coverage, etc. and folks begin to hash/rehash, nitpick whatever details are known.

I also don't appreciate when new 'sleuthers join a discussion with their impressions of a case that they have not commented on previously but want to present an opinion that seems to me to be largely based on information and commentary that they've gleaned from those who have been with a case from the beginning.

:moo:

When exactly does a new member join a discussion? Isn't rather difficult to comment previously on a post when you have never posted before? My impression is WSers do exactly what you say new sleuthers do and don't appreciate them doing.

This has bugged me since I read this post and had I saw this before registering, I probably would not have registered at all. It's these kind of posts that make me lose interest in a website because it's an attitude that I don't agree with. Everyone is new at some point, this is something many forget.

If I misinterpreted what you meant, my apologies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Semh
Back