Found Alive UK - Ashya King, 5, Southampton, 28 Aug 2015

Fluttershy

Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/29/parents-take-boy-brain-tumour-hospital-southampton

A major search and social media campaign is under way to find a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour after he was taken from hospital by his parents without the consent of doctors.

CCTV footage showed Ashya King being taken in a wheelchair by his father, Brett King, from Southampton General hospital at around 2pm on Thursday. His family – including his mother, Naghemeh King, and six siblings – then boarded a ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg in northern France.

Ashya is in a wheelchair and is fed through a tube. The feeding system is battery operated and that battery will run out today.

article-2737458-20E42E2400000578-976_1024x615_large.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...5-brain-tumour-snatched-hospital-parents.html

His family, who live in Southsea, Portsmouth, belong to the Jehovah's Witness religious movement, whose followers often refuse blood transfusions on religious grounds.
Asyha was taken into hospital a month ago and doctors operated on the tumour, but later updates from the family to friends spoke of continued tests and a 'short life expectancy'.
He had since stayed in the hospital, with his family keeping a bedside vigil until yesterday, when his father failed to return him after telling nurses they were going to a Costa Coffee shop in the building.

article-2737458-20E5C78900000578-551_634x380.jpg

Police said the family arrived in France at 8pm local time last night and are travelling in a grey-coloured Hyundai I800, registration KP60 HWK.
They were unable to confirm whether a return ferry ticket had been booked, saying it was a line of inquiry.

Anyone with information about Ashya's whereabouts should contact Hampshire Constabulary on 101, quoting Operation Aquilion.

The UK and France has a desperate search underway for a little boy who will die if he is not found soon. 5-year-old Ashya King is in a wheelchair, can't move, can't speak, can't eat and has a brain tumor. His parents removed him from a UK hospital, and fled to France. Police are asking anyone to share pictures of the family car, wherever they can.

'A major search and social media campaign is under way to find a five-year-old boy with a brain tumour after he was taken from hospital by his parents without the consent of doctors.'

'CCTV footage showed Ashya King being taken in a wheelchair by his father, Brett King, from Southampton General hospital at around 2pm on Thursday. His family – including his mother, Naghemeh King, and six siblings – then boarded a ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg in northern France.'

'Assistant chief constable Chris Shead said: "It is vital that we find Ashya today. His health will deteriorate rapidly.'

' "Ashya is in a wheelchair and is fed through a tube. The feeding system is battery operated and that battery will run out today.'

The family are Jehova's Witnesses and have 6 other children. Many more details at the link. Anyone with info, call:

From outside the UK, 0044 1962 841534.

In France, please call the emergency 112 number.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/29/parents-take-boy-brain-tumour-hospital-southampton

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 416
' "If he doesn't receive urgent medical care, or the wrong treatment is given, his condition will become life-threatening.

"If Naghemeh or Brett or any of their children see or hear this appeal please take Ashya to the nearest hospital." '

'Cherbourg Police has confirmed it is searching locally for Ashya, checking hotels and CCTV.

But vice-prosecutor Cyril Fournier said he arrived late on the investigation and was only told Ashya was missing at 10:00 BST.

He said "they may have stayed in Cherbourg, but they may be 500km from here, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack". '

'Ashya's paternal grandmother, Patricia King, said his parents were "wonderful" and had been left beside themselves at their child's plight.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28978655

(For any French visitors who find their way to the thread).

'Il faut sauver Ashya King, un petit Anglais malade recherche en France.'

'Petit garçon de 5 ans en danger. La police du Hampshire, ainsi que la police nationale française, ont publié un appel à témoins urgent pour tenter de retrouver sain et sauf le jeune Ashya King, que ses parents ont enlevé mercredi de l’hôpital de Southampton, dans le sud de la Grande-Bretagne'

L'auto est une Hyundai grise, plaque d'immatriculation: KP60 HWK

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Faits-divers/Un-petit-Anglais-malade-recherche-en-France-585666

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 407
It's nowhere near where I am in the UK but I've seen this shared a lot on social media today. I'm sure the parents think they're just giving their son a treat, but I hope they'll see that he needs medical help and return him before anything serious happens.

I hope they find the poor boy soon.

According to the FB of one of the brothers, Ashya was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The descriptions of how affected he is are very sad - can't track people with his eyes, can't move.. [modsnip] I think they may have decided Ashya has suffered enough and they no longer want to subject him to medical procedures that in the end won't save his life. Bear in mind that if support was ceased in hospital, feeding would be withdrawn.

I'm wondering if they're heading for the Netherlands or Switzerland.

This is just making all their lives worse. He's sick and needs hospital care-- but furthermore, if he has 6 siblings now they will be without parents if/when they're arrested for this. It's all so careless.

The UK can be pretty aggressive about removing parental rights when it comes to ill children. [modsnip] This BBC article talks about the fact that there has been no confirmation that parental rights were limited by courts, so I'm not sure this child is even legally missing according to the courts. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-28978655

I don't think they're headed for Switzerland or Netherlands for euthanasia, if that is what you were thinking, as he doesn't fit the criteria. Belgium has legalized euthanasia for minors, but the child must be cognizant and able to understand what is going on.

I do, however, suspect that they just want to let him go. Assuming he also received his hydration from his tube or an IV, it would only be a matter of a few days, and it's considered a peaceful way to go. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Schiavo/story?id=531907

I don't know what I'd do in their situation and I pray to god I never have to find out. No judgement here, though.

My daughter has a feeding tube and we can feed her without a battery operated machine. We do it manually. So making it sound like once the battery dies he will starve is ridiculous. And you can charge the machine with the power cord. Maybe they wanted to extend his life and the hospital wanted to remove the feeding tube. I don't know all the details, but I want people to realize he can still be fed outside of a hospital setting.

Yeah, isn't there just like a funnel thing that you put into the little button on their belly? (Not a belly button, but a little tube with a flip top) and you can pour in the ensure or whatever?

(Please don't be intimidated by my masterful use of technical language in this post. :) )

my goodness these poor people my heart goes out to all of them.
sounds like they may want the little one to end this journey someplace they love and enjoy as a family.

Yeah, isn't there just like a funnel thing that you put into the little button on their belly? (Not a belly button, but a little tube with a flip top) and you can pour in the ensure or whatever?

(Please don't be intimidated by my masterful use of technical language in this post. :) )

Yes, you explained it pretty well. She has an incision in her stomach that you place the tube into. At one end is a balloon with saline that holds it in place inside the body and on the other end is a button with a hole in it that can be capped off like when you inflate a beach ball and plug it with the stopper. To feed, uncap it and attach an extension tube with a 60cc syringe (that's a funnel to you) and pour the pediasure in. We use vanilla so if it spills it easier to clean up stains. The button loses saline and eventually falls out and I replace it about 4 times a year myself. Easy. It takes 5 minutes to do it. I have had 14 year old babysitters feed her this way. Amelia is almost ready to feed herself. Sometimes I let her hold tube while I pour.

Sorry to be so dim regarding feeding tubes. But, isn't there also a type of feeding tube that is inserted nasally? A really thin tube, I have sometimes seen taped to someone's cheek (to hold in place) and then snaked into the nostril? Could it be a type like that, rather than the permanent ones located in the stomach that you can pour into? IDK, sorry I am uninformed.

Also, if the family is wanting him to "go"... they have hospice in the UK, no? (I am in the US). If he is near death, hospice provides support and medical care while a loved one "goes" peacefully at home (if that is what the patient/family desire). Would this not have been an option? On the contrary... if the hospital wanted to stop the tube feedings (because his body is shutting down and he is dying) and the parents weren't ready to take that step... well wouldn't that ultimately be their decision anyway?

I am sorry, this post is no help. I am just pretty confused about why exactly the parents felt the need to take this drastic step, or what they hope to accomplish.

My feeling here is only sadness. Sadness for what this child is going through and has already been through, sadness for his suffering and the suffering in which his parents must surely be enduring as well. I don't think they have ill intentions when it comes to their son and they are only doing what they are doing for their son. Maybe I see it differently than others, but I don't think they are putting themselves first right now and ignoring what's best for him. They are putting him first. Sadly, stage 4 has the poorest prognosis of all and I believe these parents are only doing what they are doing because of the love they have for their son. It's obvious after being in the hospital for so long that they have wanted him treated and hopefully cured.

I don't know the full details of the feeding tube, but if the news is reporting it was supposed to be removed in that coming hour before they left and if it's also being said he would starve without it... then that kinda sounds like things were looking bleak for him even in the hospital.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back