MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
The fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager Saturday by a police officer in a St. Louis suburb came after a struggle for the officer’s gun, police officials said Sunday, in an explanation that met with outrage and skepticism in the largely African-American community.The killing of the youth, Michael Brown, 18, ignited protests on Saturday and Sunday in Ferguson, Mo., a working-class suburb of about 20,000 residents. Hundreds of people gathered at the scene of the shooting to question the police and to light candles for Mr. Brown, who was planning to begin college classes on Monday.
Mr. Brown’s stepfather, Louis Head, held a cardboard sign that said, “Ferguson police just executed my unarmed son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/11/us/police-say-mike-brown-was-killed-after-struggle-for-gun.html

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...own-St-Louis&p=10861113&posted=1#post10861113

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-teen-Michael-Brown-2&p=10867195#post10867195

Media Thread

Thread #1

Thread #2

Thread #3

Thread #4

Thread #5

Thread #6

Thread #7

Thread #8

Thread #9

Thread #10

Thread #11

Thread #12

Thread #13

:modstop:

A couple of things:

1) We are not going to allow links to blogs in this case without prior approval. And approvals will be tough to get.

2) Posts directed at other posters rather than the case will earn a TO without explanation. If you have a problem with another member, use the alert feature and scroll on by OR use the ignore feature and keep it to yourself

From the end if the last thread

Where is the proof/evidence that the car didn't move forward after hitting the SUV?

I have no idea what the truth is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the end if the last thread

Where is the proof/evidence that the car didn't move forward after hitting the SUV?

From another MSM news source: "A subsequent federal investigation showed that the men were unarmed and that their car had not moved forward when the officers fired 21 shots and killed the suspects, Earl Murray and Ronald Beasley."

(source: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_cdd4c104-6086-506e-9ee8-aa957a31fee5.html)

The federal probe, according to your link also deemed the shooting JUSTIFIED!

That does nothing to quell my fears that the prosecutor can just LIE TO the grand jury, by telling them a version of the story that's not remotely true.

That does nothing to quell my fears that the prosecutor can just LIE TO the grand jury, by telling them a version of the story that's not remotely true.

IMO there is zero evidence in your two links that shows me the prosecutor acted in bad faith.

From another MSM news source: "A subsequent federal investigation showed that the men were unarmed and that their car had not moved forward when the officers fired 21 shots and killed the suspects, Earl Murray and Ronald Beasley."

(source: http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_cdd4c104-6086-506e-9ee8-aa957a31fee5.html)

It would be nice to include the rest of that paragraph......."The probe, however, also concluded that because the officers feared for their safety, the shootings were justified."

MOO

bringing over this post of tlcya

So Michael Brown's actions mere minutes before encountering Officer Wilson are minimized or not relevant to what happened during that encounter but McCullough's decision to uphold a grand jury's decision about a completely different police shooting 14 years prior speaks to his bias?

Seriously? I have really hard time with that premise. It feels like a big ole honkin double standard to me. Anything that might suggest MB was looking for trouble and didn't care where he found it that day is just smear tactics but a completely different case from 14 years ago is plenty to suggest people should not trust the prosecutor or a grand jury's decision in either case?

Just sayin

This ^ ^ ^ is what I don't understand at all :confused:

It would be nice to include the rest of that paragraph......."The probe, however, also concluded that because the officers feared for their safety, the shootings were justified."

MOO

IKR??

IMO there is zero evidence in your two links that shows me the prosecutor acted in bad faith.

What? Why do YOU think he told the jurors that the car was coming toward the officers, when it had actually reversed and was stopped when the shooting occurred? Was it GOOD FAITH? I have a feeling arguing against law enforcement in any way, shape or form is just useless with you. <modsnip>

OK-I just read the Newsweek hit piece on McCullough. I just threw up in my mouth a little. :sick:

My head hurts. My heart hurts. and I fear for a country where complacency rules and it is acceptable that you can choose not to participate in your legal right to vote for your elected officials and then later attempt to overthrow that system and process by bullying tactics when some folks decide they don't like an outcome or a decision.

I fully support the right to peacefully protest social injustice. I absolutely do not support violence, looting, rioting, intimidation or adult temper tantrums when things do not go the way they wish they would. Nor do I support elected officials who crumble in the face of same.

I am seriously ashamed of America's general reaction to this incident, citizen, press and elected officials alike.

I'm afraid a lot of what we are seeing is what happens to a democracy when it lacks an educated citizenry. :(

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Originally posted by tlcya (brought over from the last thread):

thank you for that link gngr. I will not comment over much about the content except to say that the headline spoke to me and I appreciated the chance to read more about this young man. I feel much of the content is not relevant to events of that day but is extremely relevant in that they help to paint a more rounded humanized individual who struggled with certain factors as many people do. I regret he did not have the chance to realize the promise spoken of therein. That is a tragedy in my view. No matter my POV on the justification of the shooting that ended his young life.

BBM

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/2...grappling-with-lifes-mysteries.html?referrer=

Thank you for posting your thoughts about the above article, Tlcya.

I felt the same way after I read that NYT article a few days ago, and I posted my thoughts in the last thread. After reading that article, I felt as if I had gotten to know MB a little. As you stated, he became a humanized individual. I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Nor do I think it's a bad thing to question the circumstances of his death.

Questions lead to investigation. Investigation leads to information. Hopefully, investigation & information will lead to the truth of what happened.

IMO, all questions are valid. If questioning is shunned, then one must wonder why there is fear of the answers that questions demand.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/3...es-to-craft-lesson-on-race/?intcmp=latestnews

Someone please tell me how this is happening???

"Even though the police shooting of an unarmed man in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson is only weeks old and a grand jury is still trying sort out what really happened, a Washington-based nonprofit is offering a classroom lesson plan that draws a link between the incident and the revolutionary rhetoric of the 1960s Black Panther Party.

Teaching for Change says its “Teaching about Ferguson” guide can help students think critically about the shooting of Michael Brown in an Aug. 9 confrontation with police and ways they can be proactive in their own communities."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/3...es-to-craft-lesson-on-race/?intcmp=latestnews

Someone please tell me how this is happening???

"Even though the police shooting of an unarmed man in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson is only weeks old and a grand jury is still trying sort out what really happened, a Washington-based nonprofit is offering a classroom lesson plan that draws a link between the incident and the revolutionary rhetoric of the 1960s Black Panther Party.

Teaching for Change says its “Teaching about Ferguson” guide can help students think critically about the shooting of Michael Brown in an Aug. 9 confrontation with police and ways they can be proactive in their own communities."

Hell in a hand basket....here we come!

Probably starting back in 2000, the voters of Ferguson should have not re-elected him every election since then if it is believed he's a racist unjust prosecutor. IIRC, he runs every 4 years, last election he defeated a black woman for the position of prosecutor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong