How not to react when your child tells you he is gay.

fruity

Reaction score
Daniel Pierce, a 19-year-old college student from Georgia in the United States, secretly filmed a conversation with his Christian parents where he is allegedly attacked after revealing his sexuality.

An argument soon breaks out and Mr Pierce is violently attacked. He is called a “disgrace” and “a damn queer”.

Warning: This video contains disturbing and violent images.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...out-as-being-gay/story-fnixwvgh-1227042901598

How sad that his parents are not accepting him for who he is but rather attacking him for his sexuality.

Wow. The only "disgrace" is the parents reaction.

The mother says she's known her son was gay since he was a small child - and a breath later, insists he's made a choice.

Ignorance hates being contradicted.

"I will not have people thinking I condone what you do" -- makes her priorities clear, right there. :facepalm:

It's just beyond me how anyone living in a 1st world nation, in the 21st century, can still be clinging to these views. But that's what cults do -- shut down reasoning to sustain belief (no matter how damaging or unfeasible), and divide families over nonsensical non-facts.

I hope this young man goes on to have a happy life, despite it all.

I hope he can break away and form a new family to love and support him. this is so tragic because everyone needs the love and caring acceptance of their family. I feel awful that he does not have that. Hopefully some awesome family will step up for him.

Sorry baby :( go find many mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers who can share love and acceptance the way God has intended:

I just returned from a lovely wedding, where the bride's father transitioned from "Bob" to "Julia" a few years ago. Not ONE member of her (I know it's confusing, but the father is now "she" and "her") family attended; they no longer speak to Julia.

Yet the bride and groom's families turned out in force and could not have been lovelier. (My husband used to be uncle-by-marriage to the bride, but they still include us in family reunions, weddings, etc.)

If these aren't Christian values, I don't know what. Isn't this exactly how Jesus Himself would have treated Julia, her new wife, Caroline, and the gay fathers of the bride's cousins?

The good news--as the previous poster points out--is we aren't stuck with our biological families. We can and do create new families as we proceed through life. (ETA this last paragraph sounds like a slam against my own biological family, which would be quite unfair. My folks have always been pretty accepting and they are openly fond of my husband.)

Daniel Pierce, a 19-year-old college student from Georgia in the United States, secretly filmed a conversation with his Christian parents where he is allegedly attacked after revealing his sexuality.

An argument soon breaks out and Mr Pierce is violently attacked. He is called a “disgrace” and “a damn queer”.

Warning: This video contains disturbing and violent images.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...out-as-being-gay/story-fnixwvgh-1227042901598

A small clarification: the young man actually came out to his parents last October. The event on the tape is an "intervention"--supposedly initiated by his grandparents--to tell him he had to "choose" to be straight or leave home. (He was still living at home while attending college.) He taped the exchange because he feared it might become violent.

What's particularly appalling is that his father and stepmother had nearly a year to temper their response and control their own behavior--and still they failed miserably.

Just shaking my head...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it shows real strength of character that this young man, who requested only 2k to help with living expenses until he got on his feet, actually, asked his friends to shut down the fundraising page and not accept any more donations, and instead ask people to donate to homeless gay youth.

That's incredible. I think it shows he's going to have a bright future ahead of him.

This is also stunning in that it shows how far we have come. Almost 100k raised for a young man thrown out of his house and rejected by his family. 100k in less than a week. Evidence of a total denouncement of his troubled family's abusive rejection and a complete embrace of a young man whose own mother knew he was gay since he was a little boy.

The video makes me tear up. The reaction of the community and the support shown this young man, also makes me tear up, but for a much different reason.

I think it shows real strength of character that this young man, who requested only 2k to help with living expenses until he got on his feet, actually, asked his friends to shut down the fundraising page and not accept any more donations, and instead ask people to donate to homeless gay youth.

That's incredible. I think it shows he's going to have a bright future ahead of him.

This is also stunning in that it shows how far we have come. Almost 100k raised for a young man thrown out of his house and rejected by his family. 100k in less than a week. Evidence of a total denouncement of his troubled family's abusive rejection and a complete embrace of a young man whose own mother knew he was gay since he was a little boy.

The video makes me tear up. The reaction of the community and the support shown this young man, also makes me tear up, but for a much different reason.

Me too...my heart broke for this young man.

Shame on his parents, they are disgraceful hateful losers.

"I've known you were gay since you were a little boy..... it's a choice..."

Logic fail.

I hope some one has an intervention for the family, telling them to chose to not be so closed minded and ugly.

I wonder how much violence he had to live with as a child, if he felt he had to protect himself by recording it all? Note how the mother flies off the handle and hits out at him, after forcing herself to try to be calm. I could hear the strain in her voice as her temper rose. No wonder the dad was so angry at the idea of being talked about in public. I'm betting he is also an advocate of not sparing the rod (ie, attacking one's kids).

I think that young man is better off away from those people, anyway. Far, far away.

Uhmm, Step Mom, I have at least half a dozen Bible translations here, and all of them teach love the sinner, hate the sin.

Should I send you a copy? Can I please send you a copy???

In our post-Millennial world, several Christian denominations will welcome this young man into our congregations. I hope he's found one already!

Im always stunned by people that care more about what others think than loving their own child.
Wonder what their friends, church members and neighbors think of them now?

Im always stunned by people that care more about what others think than loving their own child.
Wonder what their friends, church members and neighbors think of them now?

This is an assumption and I have no facts to back this up... but chances are they're "proud" of them for being strong in the face of sin. By the sounds of the parents, they probably spent lots of time seeking out the perfect church that lines up exactly with their way of thinking.

Just love your children. Why is that so hard to do?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back