IL IL - Adiel Patton, 81, Thompsonville, 27 December 2005

inapickle

Reaction score
Mr. Patton was tortured and murdered in his home, and apparently his home was ransacked as if perps were looking for something specific. This is the only article I have found about this murder. It is from Carbondale, IL newspaper, THE SOUTHERN:

January 05, 2006 12:00 am • ashley wiehle, the southern

THOMPSONVILLE - Investigations surrounding the Dec. 27 murder of an 81-year-old Thompsonville man are exposing a number of leads, but the Williamson County Sheriff's Department is soliciting the help of the public nonetheless.

The department has released a photo of the victim, Adiel Esdon Patton, who was discovered in his home on Corinth Road on Dec. 27. Patton died as the result of a stab wound, an autopsy revealed.

"Our investigators are still working the case and interviewing people, but we want to let the public know if they have any information in regards to Mr. Patton or maybe if they had seen him in this area, to please give us a call," Sheriff Tom Cundiff said.

Investigators are asking anyone who saw Patton or his vehicle - a 1991 white Chevrolet Geo - in Saline, Williamson or Franklin counties on Dec. 26 to contact the Williamson County Sheriff's Department.

"We've found in the past that sometimes people will think it (seeing the victim) doesn't make any difference, but it's that phone call where they say, 'It doesn't mean anything, but I saw him such-and-such a place' that may give us the information necessary to follow it up and bring the case to conclusion," Cundiff said.

Cundiff said that, no matter how inconsequential the caller thinks his tip might be, the tip could add to a piece of information that the department has already uncovered.

"It may not be significant to them, but if you couple those tips with the other information that we have, it could make our case," Cundiff said.

Those who have any information concerning Patton's Dec. 26 whereabouts may contact the sheriff's office at (618) 997-6541 or the Williamson County Crimestoppers at (800) 414-TIPS.

ashley.wiehle@thesouthern.com

(618) 997-3356 ext. 5807

Word of mouth is that a local man used Mr. Patton's credit card sometime after the murder, but I've seen nothing official about that claim.

I knew Mr. Patton slightly, and he was a quiet, kind widower. The thought that such a heinous death should have come upon such an unassuming man frankly makes me sick to my stomach. Someone knows something, and I can't believe there has been no progress in nearly 9 years.

Does anyone know a way to light a fire under this cold case?

Bumping for Adiel as we approach the 15th anniversary of his death...

Thompsonville is a very small, rural town. Someone must know something!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back