KY KY - Alice Jefferson, 21, Fort Campbell, 1 July 1975

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
7b1c6976-e06a-489c-a25d-faf14340ecfd_zpsc4cba681.png

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/26431921/search-continues-for-woman-missing-nearly-40-years

In the summer of 1975, Alice Fay Jefferson lived on post at Fort Campbell with her Army sergeant husband and their two young children.

Jefferson's children are now adults. With the help of a private investigator, they contacted the Army's criminal investigation command last year.

Jefferson's children took photos from the time of her disappearance to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. They produced an age progression photo that could indicate what Jefferson could look like today.

NCMEC: http://www.missingkids.com/poster/NCMC/1235737

http://clarksvillenow.com/local/investigators-seek-info-for-missing-fort-campbell-woman/

When she was last seen, Jefferson was 5’1”, weighed 100-115 pounds, and had black hair, brown eyes, and pierced ears. She occasionally wore wigs and may have an open-faced gold crown on her front tooth.

She was known to have family in Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Florida, and Pennsylvania.

Charley Project: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/jefferson_alice.html

NamUs: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19934

NCMEC ad:

Alice Jefferson
Fort Campbell, KY
dob: 4-30-54
missing 4 July 1974
age at time: 20 years

It is just so frustrating how many young women go 'missing', and the last person to see them alive is the partner. These circumstances seem to make it pretty clear what has happened in this case:

Sometime between 1974 and 1975, Her husband, Lee Andrew Jefferson, who was not the children's father, came home and said his wife was gone. On the day of her disappearance no one picked her children up from school. They walked home, and beat on the door for a long time with no answer. Then, finally, the stepfather opened the door. He would not let the children into their bedroom. Alice's car was still in the driveway, her clothes still in the closet. Jefferson never filed a missing persons report. According to him, he thought his wife had gone to Nashville, as she had friends in the area. According to her daughter, Alice may have been afraid of her husband.
After a couple of days, he packed some bags, loaded his step-children into the car, and drove them to their grandparents' home in North Little Rock. He left and never saw the kids again. Alice was never heard from again. Her Social Security number has not been used since that time.

When Alice's parents tried to report her as missing the Kentucky and Tennesse police would not take a report, saying it was not in their jurisdiction.

It is frustrating to read case after case where the partners tell investigators the missing person left, and the investigators just shrug, say okay and go on their merry way. Maybe that's not what really happened, but that's how it appears on the outside, looking in, 40 years later.

I know the first and most obvious explanation is that she was murdered by her husband but I'm holding out hope she's still alive. Her case reminds me of that of Lucy Ann Johnson who was missing for over 50 years before she was found alive. She had escaped her abusive husband and started a new life a thousand miles away. I'm hoping something similar happened with Jefferson but one thing (other then how rare cases like Lucy's are) has me doubtful and it's Jefferson's children. Johnson had to leave her two children behind because her husband would not allow it. Jefferson's husband was not the father of her children and he seemed to have no interest in them as after Alice disappeared he immediately left them with her parents. So if Jefferson escaped her abusive husband why did she not take her children with her. Her husband had no right to them and as their legal mother she was allowed to take them out of the state. I'm still holding out hope but I know it's unlikely.

If she left of her own volition, it's possible she intended to come back for them and never did. Something similar happened to me & my siblings when we were toddlers. We were left in the care of my father and his family. After she earned some money and found a place for us all to live a few months later, she came back and got us.

If she left of her own volition, it's possible she intended to come back for them and never did. Something similar happened to me & my siblings when we were toddlers. We were left in the care of my father and his family. After she earned some money and found a place for us all to live a few months later, she came back and got us.

That's a really good idea. I'll have to look into that.

From namus

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Alice Fay Jefferson – The Charley Project

Original
Original
Original
Original

• Missing Since01/01/1974
  • Missing FromFort Campbell, Kentucky
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth04/30/1954 (65)
  • Age19 - 21 years old
  • Height and Weight5'0, 110 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionPossibly earrings, rings on her left hand, size 0 - 1 clothes, and size 5 1/2 - 6 shoes. Possibly carrying a .38 revolver.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsAfrican-American female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Alice's ears are pierced. She has had two teeth extracted and may have an open-faced gold crown on one of her front teeth. Her maiden name is Jones and she may wear a wig.
Details of Disappearance
Alice was last seen in Fort Campbell, Kentucky sometime during 1974 and 1975. She was living on post with her two small children and her husband, Lee Andrew Jefferson, a soldier who was assigned there between March 1973 and July 1975. She left her vehicle and clothes behind and has never been heard from again.

Alice's children were five and six at the time of her disappearance. Lee is not their father. The children remember that one day no one picked them up from school and they eventually walked home alone. They had to knock on the door for a long time before Lee finally answered, sweating and agitated, claiming he had been asleep.

Alice was gone, and Lee refused to let the children into their bedroom and made them sleep with him. A few days later he took them to stay with Alice's parents in Arkansas and never returned.

Lee later claimed he did contact the authorities about Alice's disappearance, and Alice's parents also attempted to report her missing, but an official police report wasn't filed until 2013, nearly forty years after she was last seen.

Alice's children believe her husband murdered her, but Lee has never faced charges in her case and continues to maintain she simply left him. She has relatives living in the states of Arkansas, Indiana, Florida, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Tennessee. Her case remains unsolved.

16 Unidentified Person Exclusions
UP1588 02/14/1975 Maury TN
UP17621 10/02/1976 Grundy IL
UP10369 12/27/1977 Jackson MS
UP8577 06/04/1981 Richmond VA
UP6627 02/18/1982 Norfolk VA
UP10812 05/28/1989 Louisa VA
UP2627 02/02/1991 York VA
UP2627 02/02/1991 York VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP6661 02/03/1991 Stafford VA
UP6335 08/16/1997 Page VA
UP6247 07/01/1998 Pittsylvania VA
UP8419 01/16/2001 Isle of Wight VA
UP960 09/10/2004 Norfolk VA
UP6666 11/16/2007 Dinwiddie VA
UP12683 06/06/2014 Newport News VA

Popping in to add a couple possibilities, assuming that her husband did, in fact, cause her permanent disappearance.

908UFTN - Found June 1, 1977 in Collierville, TN (about 3 hour drive SW from Fort Campbell). Skeletal remains, very few details. 21-30 years old, African American female. Found in a lake near a girl scout camp. No dental, fingerprint or DNA available.

UP8552 - Found October 9, 2002 in Manteno, IL (longer drive, about 5.5 hours north). Also very few details available. Est. 25-35 years old, about 5'2", likely African American or Hispanic. (I couldn't find this one on Doe Network).

Neither are on her exclusions list, so I figured I'd offer them up for others' opinions. I don't know how they'd even begin to compare Collierville Jane Doe, but it seemed like a reasonable suggestion.

Unfortunately, if the remains and missing person don't have matching identifiers, or, in the case of the Collierville Jane Doe, none at all, they can't make a comparison.
It's also possible there are dental records being held locally for her. It's always worth submitting to see what shakes out.

I spoke with Lee Jantz, Associate Director of the Forensic Anthropology Center at UTK about Collierville Jane Doe. First, I just want to say that she is wonderful and I'm glad that someone like her is pushing for answers for the unidentified.

The "bones found by a fisherman" are actually four bones: a scapula, ulna, sacrum and one other. Measurements and examinations of these bones led to the conclusion that they likely belonged to that of an African American female between 21-30. The ulna was in the best condition so it was sent for DNA testing, but there wasn't enough for a good profile. She said that they're keeping an eye on changes in DNA technology and plan to retest in the future as science evolves.

She was also contacted by Detective May with the Army CID at some point in the past, but couldn't recall offhand what conclusion they came to in regards to Collierville Jane and the possible match to Alice. She also noted that they have another case of a 12-14 year old female UID that wasn't a good candidate for DNA analysis, but hopes that it, too, will have answers with developing technology. Edited to correct: the 12-14 year old female does have DNA on file and will soon be a candidate for genetic genealogy. I misread my notes o_O

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back