Albino cobra on the loose in LA; looks like a length of rope

zwiebel

Reaction score
'A search by wildlife officials on Wednesday turned up empty for a venomous cobra that slithered its way into a Southern California neighborhood and bit a resident's dog.'

"I came up the street and here's this white thing slithering across," said neighbor Rick Eddy, who spotted the snake on Tuesday. "I just thought it was a piece of rope, but as I passed, I realized that's not a piece of rope, that's a snake."

'The dog was taken to a veterinary hospital after the attacked and released the same evening, the owner said. The pup could be seen with a wrap around his neck.'

Experts say the snake is likely to appear in the evenings when it's cooler, and will attack if cornered. Although the poor dog in the picture was just trying to get away.

Anyone who sees it should run away - then call 911 or the numbers below.
Los Angeles County Agoura Animal Care Center: 818-991-0071
California Department of Fish and Wildlife: 909-899-0659

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/albino-monocled-cobra-thousand-oaks-273798301.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 66
This story has been leading the local news, not surprisingly, but I haven't seen an explanation for the dogs survival. Don't get me wrong I have a houseful of rescues and couldn't be happier that he survived, but how the heck did a dog survive a Cobra bite? An emergency vet in that area might have rattlesnake anti-venom in stock , but Cobra anti-venom?

Anyway, this story creeps me out, but good. Thankfully I am very far away in Orange county, but it makes you wonder what kind of "pets" your neighbors are keeping. We had a story here earlier this year where they found hundreds of snakes, both dead and alive inside the home of an elementary school teacher in Santa Ana. He lived in S.A. worked in Newport/Costa Mesa School District. At any rate, houses on regular residential streets full of snakes, an albino Cobra loose in Thousand Oaks?

I just hope they find it before any other animals or children are hurt. If I lived in that area my kids and pets would not be going outside at all!

This story has been leading the local news, not surprisingly, but I haven't seen an explanation for the dogs survival. Don't get me wrong I have a houseful of rescues and couldn't be happier that he survived, but how the heck did a dog survive a Cobra bite? An emergency vet in that area might have rattlesnake anti-venom in stock , but Cobra anti-venom?

Anyway, this story creeps me out, but good. Thankfully I am very far away in Orange county, but it makes you wonder what kind of "pets" your neighbors are keeping. We had a story here earlier this year where they found hundreds of snakes, both dead and alive inside the home of an elementary school teacher in Santa Ana. He lived in S.A. worked in Newport/Costa Mesa School District. At any rate, houses on regular residential streets full of snakes, an albino Cobra loose in Thousand Oaks?

I just hope they find it before any other animals or children are hurt. If I lived in that area my kids and pets would not be going outside at all!
My very first thought too.

This story is creepy!

Caught him!

KEYT NewsChannel 3 (@KEYTNC3) tweeted at 1:19am - 5 Sep 14:

Deadly albino cobra that ran loose for days in Thousand Oaks neighborhood is captured. keyt.com/news/breaking-… pic.twitter.com/kleGEc6yTO (https://twitter.com/KEYTNC3/status/507669423801397248)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 35

I'm wondering if the venom sac had been removed if that's possible, or would that cause the snake to starve to death? It was someone's pet. The dog have been bitten but not poisoned. Glad they caught it.

I'm wondering if the venom sac had been removed if that's possible, or would that cause the snake to starve to death? It was someone's pet. The dog have been bitten but not poisoned. Glad they caught it.

They said on the news last night that no venom was released into the dog, which is why he survived, of course. They said that, according to some snake expert that was assisting in the search, that Cobra's sometimes do not release venom if they are not trying to kill for food. So, that if the dog was pawing at it, for example, the snake might have bitten him just to get him to back off, not to kill since they would not attempt to eat a large dog. He said they do that to save the venom for when they really need it. He said in about 17% of cases of Cobra bites it is what they call a "dry bite" meaning no venom.

The other possiblility, according to this snake guy, is that this snake being albino means there are genetic problems. It could be that this particular snake is not venomous based on some genetic defect tied to being an albino.

Either way, I am very happy for the dog and very glad they caught the snake.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back