Scots set to vote selves out of UK; queen chimes in

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Scottish independence: the Queen makes rare comment on referendum (Guardian)

Queen's stark warning: monarch speaks out, tells voter to 'think very carefully about the future' (Daily Mail)

• 'People should think very carefully about the future', says Queen
• She has refused to comment publicly on the independence referendum
• Buckingham Palace insists the 'Monarch is above politics' at all times
• But she gave a statement in 1977 when a Scottish parliament was mooted
• Gordon Brown announced date for debate on increased Scottish powers
• House of Commons session will take place on October 16 in event of No vote
• Harry reveals his hope to keep his sports event in the UK in 2015
• 400 wounded troops and veterans have taken part in Invictus Games
• Prince 'would love to keep it in the UK' next year, possibly in Glasgow

More at links above.

Jeremy Paxman, good lively read in the Telegraph:

Scottish independence: it’s a scandal that half of us are excluded from the vote

---
The decision is not for those of us who live south of Berwick-upon-Tweed, because the electorate has been selected in a way that could make a Chicago party boss gaze down at his toecaps with embarrassment. Let us leave aside the exclusion of a role in the fate of their country for Scots who represented it in the recent Commonwealth Games but don’t happen to be living there right now (and the granting of that right to any Kylie, Hank or Svetlana who has an address north of the border). Let us ignore, too, the extension of the franchise to 16-year-olds.

No, the real scandal – in which almost the whole English Establishment has been complicit – has been the exclusion of half of the Union from a decision on its future. The fate of this supposed relationship of equals is to be determined solely by those who find themselves living on one side of a border that we have been told for generations no longer really matters.
---

When I think of what the British did to Scotland in the days of Bonnie Prince Charlie, Culloden and the massacre's of cheiftans, the making it illegal to wear a tartan, the burning and executing of crofters throughout Scotland I laugh at the idea that its a perfect union. Scotland has wanted out for centuries with good reason

IMO

[video=youtu;AbMG1v7qDqs]http://youtu.be/AbMG1v7qDqs[/video]

When I think of what the British did to Scotland in the days of Bonnie Prince Charlie, Culloden and the massacre's of cheiftans, the making it illegal to wear a tartan, the burning and executing of crofters throughout Scotland I laugh at the idea that its a perfect union. Scotland has wanted out for centuries with good reason

IMO

Considering that I come from a Country that killed as many of the original inhabitants of the good Old USA as possble, as well as stealing their land,then built half the country on Slavery and still almost a century later was perfectly willing to "relocate" all Japanese Americans, while once again stealing their land and other property during WWII, I will have to exempt myself from commenting on England's treatment of the Scots several centuries earlier.

Glass houses and all that.

I wish all the best to our good friends in Scotland and England and hope the right decision is made for all.

There has always been tension, and downright hatred between Scotland and England. I think it's time they dissolve their less-than-happy union.

I have Scottish ancestors, and a great love of that country in my heart.

Absolutely Stunning. Thanks for posting wfgodot, it's the only place outside of usa I want to visit. Particularly Rosslyn chapel. Hope for the best in this situation.

I don't think you need to limit yourself to one foreign country, but I promise you Scotland is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Even in a drizzle, which is the way one usually sees it.

I hope the voters won't based their decision on events of 300 years ago!

There are practical and immediate consequences, however the vote goes. Let's hope the voters are thinking about the future, not the past.

(I'm almost exactly half-Scot and half-English by heritage. Even after watching news programs, I don't really have an opinion on this referendum.)

I'm approximately 20% Scot. Were I young and entitled to vote, I'd no doubt vote 'yes' with revolutionary fervor ("Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, / But to be young was very heaven!"). But I'm not young and my Thursday vote would be a resounding 'no' (which means I've -- crap! -- turned into, in a sense, William Wordsworth, who as a young man wrote the lines above but turned into a glum Tory as he aged).

"Oh well." Hoping Scotland stays, though.

I'm approximately 20% Scot. Were I young and entitled to vote, I'd no doubt vote 'yes' with revolutionary fervor ("Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, / But to be young was very heaven!"). But I'm not young and my Thursday vote would be a resounding 'no' (which means I've -- crap! -- turned into, in a sense, William Wordsworth, who as a young man wrote the lines above but turned into a glum Tory as he aged).

"Oh well." Hoping Scotland stays, though.

I'm no longer young either, but my spirit is still alive and bursting with joy for this possibility of independence. The spirit of freedom lives in my very soul.

I think they will vote no. I hope so anyway.

Wfgodot: Can you enlighten us as to who is eligible to vote and how long the polls are open?

Wfgodot: Can you enlighten us as to who is eligible to vote and how long the polls are open?

Residents of Scotland residing and voting therein -- and age sixteen or older -- are eligible voters. There are no absentee ballots. 4,262,415 Scots are eligible to vote.

Polling stations across the country will be open from 7am on Thursday, September 18. The polling stations will be open until 10pm across the 32 local authority regions of Scotland.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-time-scottish-independence-referendum-4273112

Three from Scotland:

[video=youtu;pzXV6TICs4Q]http://youtu.be/pzXV6TICs4Q[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74