UT - Man with sword killed by police in Utah County - Shot in the back???

MsFacetious

What a Kerfuffle...
Reaction score
Man shot from behind by police, family says; prosecutors: he lunged with sword

To hear prosecutors tell it, Darrien Hunt lunged at officers with a "samurai-type sword" before he was killed.

To hear his family tell it, police shot the 22-year-old several times while he was running away.
An independent autopsy proves he was shot from behind, his family's attorney said.

And while there's no consensus about what happened last Wednesday morning, the Utah case is already drawing comparisons to the police shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri.

Hunt's mother said she believes race played a role in her son's death.

"They killed my son because he's black," Susan Hunt told CNN affiliate KSL.
"No white boy with a little sword would they shoot while he's running away."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/15/justice/utah-samurai-sword-police-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

'They killed my son because he's black,' Saratoga Springs mom says

-----------------------------

There have been differing witness accounts about Hunt's demeanor prior to the shooting.
While all agree he stood out with his 3-foot sword strapped to his back, some have described him as "distressed" while others said he was "totally calm."

---------------------------

A witness later sent Susan Hunt a photo of police confronting her son outside the bank just prior to shots being fired.
In the picture, two officers are standing on either side of Darrien. The sword is not visible in the picture.
The family believes, based on the limited information they've been given, that at some point during that confrontation, a shot was fired by police.
Susan Hunt doesn't know if that shot hit her son or not. But she believes he then ran toward the Panda Express, where she believes multiple shots were fired and he was struck and killed.

---------------------------

Hunt described her son as a boy in a man's body who loved everybody and was deeply concerned about travesties in other parts of the world, particularly Africa.

"He wanted to make a difference," she said. "His potential was amazing."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=31536612&nid=148

Hunt is black and comes from a mixed race family who believes his race played a role in his death.
Saratoga Springs police and prosecutors have denied those assertions.

An attorney representing the family says an independent autopsy shows that Hunt was shot six times from behind, making it difficult to understand how police shot him while he lunged at them with the sword.

The family has since been demanding answers about what transpired between police and Hunt and why the confrontation at the bank ended with Hunt being shot dead 200 yards away at the restaurant.

The family has launched a petition for a citizen's review board to investigate the case.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=31577121&ni...uring-investigation-of-shooting&s_cid=queue-9

First, this mother sounds like she is describing a young man with learning disabilities or something.
"A little boy trying to be a teenager" or a "boy in a man's body."
A young man that she thinks may have taken a sword with him to get a job at Panda Express???
He thought that might impress the people at Panda Express? That doesn't sound like an adult man. :waitasec:

However, she claims that he did not have any disabilities. So I'm a bit confused about this. It's conflicting information. :twocents:

His facebook: https://www.facebook.com/darrien.hunt?fref=ts

I will also say two things having grown up in Utah County. (Don't hold it against me.)

A) This is also where Sgt. Cory Wride was killed earlier this year.
Lehi/Saratoga Springs/Eagle Mountain are all right there in the same area.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...e-officer-dead-another-wounded-in-Utah-County

B.) Minorities are NOT common in Utah County. Especially not this part of Utah County.
The culture in Utah County is something that is hard to comprehend if you haven't lived there.

In our former neighborhood in Utah County there are exactly 2 minorities, adopted children.
On our former local police force there are 2 minority officers, out of 30 officers.
I never had a teacher who was a minority and rarely even saw minorities.

My children assumed every black guy they saw was an NBA player until we moved.
(Now that we've moved out of Utah County there are at least 5 minority families on our street.)

The first time I went to Las Vegas, the first thing I said was "Wow, there is black people here."
It is really unbelievable the culture shock when you leave Utah County. It's extreme.

In Utah County being a guy with long hair or a person with piercings/brightly colored hair makes you suspicious.
If you look at the arrests in Utah County on any given day you will see the disparity.

http://www.co.utah.ut.us/Dept/Sheriff/Corrections/InmateSearch.asp

Provo has more minorities because of the college. Saratoga Springs does not.
Even if these officers don't intend to judge a black guy differently... I believe they do, subconsciously. :twocents:

"We don't know exactly what happened, but the fact that a black kid with an Afro was shot while walking down the street by two white officers in a city that is 96% white is concerning," Edwards said. "There are serious questions as to why officers were questioning him and the use of force in this situation."

**Sounds like Edwards is close friends with Michael Brown's attorney Crump! Um kid - 22 yrs old. I would question anyone, white, purple or black why they are walking down the street with a sword.........but that's me. This story sounds too odd.

PROSECUTOR SAYS UTAH MAN SHOT HAD REAL SWORD

A young black man who was fatally shot last week by Utah police lunged at the officers with a real sword that had a 2.5-foot steel blade, prosecutors said Monday.

Reports from Darrien Hunt's family that the 22-year-old was carrying a toy sword are not accurate, said Utah County Chief Deputy Attorney Tim Taylor.

"It wasn't plastic, it wasn't wood," Taylor said. "It appears to be a real samurai sword."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/city-removes-post-about-shooting-black-man

Independent autopsy? Did a pathologist just happen to walk by & decide to do an autopsy. How does that happen?

Not to be snarky but there is truth to: "live by the sword, die by the sword".

Don't walk around carrying a sword.

Independent autopsy? Did a pathologist just happen to walk by & decide to do an autopsy. How does that happen?

The family requests an independent (unbiased) autopsy because the young man was shot by the cops.
It's pretty much expected when the cops kill someone, that the family will have their own autopsy done. :twocents:

Not to be snarky but there is truth to: "live by the sword, die by the sword".

Don't walk around carrying a sword.

There is also truth to "don't bring a knife to a gun fight."
The cops clearly had the advantage even if he did have a sword.
If he was really shot in the back, I'm failing to see how the officers life was at risk. :twocents:

Also like I said, this strikes me as a young man with some sort of disability... the thought process isn't normal. :twocents:

Ah yes....because it's perfectly normal for grown men to run around wielding swords in public....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also truth to "don't bring a knife to a gun fight."
The cops clearly had the advantage even if he did have a sword.
If he was really shot in the back, I'm failing to see how the officers life was at risk. :twocents:

Also like I said, this strikes me as a young man with some sort of disability... the thought process isn't normal. :twocents:

A man reportedly looking distressed is walking around a public strip mall...refuses to stop....he becomes a real threat to anyone he may encounter next.

How many times have we read about disgruntled employees or people hunting down their significant others and murdering them?
People can run around in public with 2.5 ft long swords ...what the heck was he doing anyway?

What happened to shooting someone in the foot maybe, or the leg to stop them, as long are they are not facing a gun?
I do feel white men with guns or weapons are far more often "taken alive." Even mass killer like the Aurora guy and others.
Jmo

What happened to shooting someone in the foot maybe, or the leg to stop them, as long are they are not facing a gun?
I do feel white men with guns or weapons are far more often "taken alive." Even mass killer like the Aurora guy and others.
Jmo

Here's another
http://www.businessinsider.com/times-square-shooting-why-police-shoot-to-kill-2012-8

Police, like military, are trained to shoot center mass of the target. Most cops aren't trickshots; they don't aim for the kneecaps, and they won't shoot a knife out of the hand of a delirious daytime psycho. They aim center mass for one simple reason - with a pistol, it's easy to miss.

Even then police fired 12 times Saturday and only seven rounds found their target, the rest went wild and fortunately didn't ricochet or find an innocent bystander.

Here's another
http://www.businessinsider.com/times-square-shooting-why-police-shoot-to-kill-2012-8

Police, like military, are trained to shoot center mass of the target. Most cops aren't trickshots; they don't aim for the kneecaps, and they won't shoot a knife out of the hand of a delirious daytime psycho. They aim center mass for one simple reason - with a pistol, it's easy to miss.

Even then police fired 12 times Saturday and only seven rounds found their target, the rest went wild and fortunately didn't ricochet or find an innocent bystander.

Imo it is still kind of barbaric to "shoot to kill" if the officer is not facing another gun, but again jmo.

Imo it is still kind of barbaric to "shoot to kill" if the officer is not facing another gun, but again jmo.

What about everybody else?

They shoot to stop the threat. They try to hit their target and the best way to do that...is to aim at center mass.

"I believe that maybe my son thought, 'Maybe I'll try to get a job at Panda, maybe this sword will impress them,'" she said.

"(He probably) thought he was cool with the sword. He was more of a little kid trying to be a teenager."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=31...y-shows-saratoga-springs-man-shot-from-behind

I am sorry but that is NOT a normal thought process for a 22 year old man.
Even an immature one, it simply is not a normal thought process.
I think everyone would agree with that. :twocents:

That is the thought process of a mentally ill or disabled young man.
I simply don't understand why the family would deny this?
The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

"I believe that maybe my son thought, 'Maybe I'll try to get a job at Panda, maybe this sword will impress them,'" she said.

"(He probably) thought he was cool with the sword. He was more of a little kid trying to be a teenager."

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=31...y-shows-saratoga-springs-man-shot-from-behind

I am sorry but that is NOT a normal thought process for a 22 year old man.
Even an immature one, it simply is not a normal thought process.
I think everyone would agree with that. :twocents:

That is the thought process of a mentally ill or disabled young man.
I simply don't understand why the family would deny this?
The whole thing just doesn't make sense to me. :dunno:

IMO If her son was that mentally ill or disabled he needed supervision and guidance...not a sword.

What I find barbaric is the lack of understanding the possible fatal danger officers have to be mindful of EVERY SINGLE call they go on. The job they do is a dangerous one....they do it for a pittance.

Be grateful and thankful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77