Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall NSW, 12 Sept 2014 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.portnews.com.au/story/2555404/child-missing-at-kendall/?cs=257

Fri, 5.15pm: The darkness is closing in, but the searchers are not going anywhere.

Police Inspector Mick Aldridge said PolAir has returned to Sydney after extensive aerial searches.

"But we're not leaving - we'll continue all the way through the night," he said.

Inspector Aldridge said police officers, SES volunteers and concerned residents will search the area, which includes state forests, during the night and as morning begins.

m3lft.png

Benaroon Drive where William went missing. So much thick forest .....

I looked up Kendall on whereis.com and it seems that Benaroon Drive might be around 500 metres long - that is the distance from the junction with Batar Creek Rd up to the grandmother's house. Would others agree? It is the equivalent of going past about 7-9 of those half acre properties.
Anyone who knows about young kids: would a three year old run or walk that distance?
The only other thing I can think of, is that William might have taken off down Benaroon Drive and somehow even the grandmother, if she was consistently sitting at the back of the house, did not see him!
Being picked up on Batar Creek Road would open up the options exponentially...
The things against that argument, though, are the family/friends' comments that William did not wander, the police's comments about the high level of visibility down the road, and that no one saw William in that vicinity given that they started searching for him immediately.
Maybe all the locals from the street went up in the direction of the grandmother's house, though, rather than down towards Batar Creek Rd, and effectively just missed William?...
I'll bet the first thought would have been that he's run off into the bush.
Then again, police were there after about half an hour. They would have had to turn off Batar Creek Rd to access Benaroon Drive. If he could run/walk that far, it might have taken William five minutes to first of all reach Batar Creek Rd... He'd have had to have been very unlucky, if one of the first cars driving by, in those first minutes, happens to be an abductor!

And, after posting, just remembered the most telling thing of all: there was no scent! Doh!!

I looked up Kendall on whereis.com and it seems that Benaroon Drive might be around 500 metres long - that is the distance from the junction with Batar Creek Rd up to the grandmother's house. Would others agree? It is the equivalent of going past about 7-9 of those half acre properties.
Anyone who knows about young kids: would a three year old run or walk that distance?
The only other thing I can think of, is that William might have taken off down Benaroon Drive and somehow even the grandmother, if she was consistently sitting at the back of the house, did not see him!
Being picked up on Batar Creek Road would open up the options exponentially...
The things against that argument, though, are the family/friends' comments that William did not wander, the police's comments about the high level of visibility down the road, and that no one saw William in that vicinity given that they started searching for him immediately.
Maybe all the locals from the street went up in the direction of the grandmother's house, though, rather than down towards Batar Creek Rd, and effectively just missed William?...
I'll bet the first thought would have been that he's run off into the bush.
Then again, police were there after about half an hour. They would have had to turn off Batar Creek Rd to access Benaroon Drive. If he could run/walk that far, it might have taken William five minutes to first of all reach Batar Creek Rd... He'd have had to have been very unlucky, if one of the first cars driving by, in those first minutes, happens to be an abductor!
Even Daniel Morcombe was spotted by passing motorists on the side of the road, BEFORE he was abducted.

I have been trying to recall what ''3'' was like....it seems to me ((just on my experience)) a three yr old generally doesn't go off into unfamiliar territory alone. I can see him going to a spot that was familiar to him (that's why I was curious if his family had introduced him to 'fossicking' that is apparently a local hobby in that bushland). What if his sister went into the house and he didn't realize it and took off looking for her?? If he was motivated ((looking for sis)) I could see him running full tilt down the road looking for her as you describe. all moo here

My experience of 3-year olds says that most of them would not wander very far at all. 3-year olds are pretty good with rules, not usually particularly rebellious yet, and don't usually like to be all alone as that is not the norm for their age group. Nicole says that William knew his parameters, and that fits with my thoughts on 3-year olds. Which is not to say that they won't do something else if another 'adult' tells them to .. that 'adult' could also be as young as a teenager/babysitter age .. or even younger.

I just have a sense that William may have wanted to go with dad to run errands that morning, was told that he couldn't go, so was allowed to play out front so he could watch and wait for dad to return.

My experience of 3-year olds says that most of them would not wander very far at all. 3-year olds are pretty good with rules, not usually particularly rebellious yet, and don't usually like to be all alone as that is not the norm for their age group. Nicole says that William knew his parameters, and that fits with my thoughts on 3-year olds. Which is not to say that they won't do something else if another 'adult' tells them to .. that 'adult' could also be as young as a teenager/babysitter age .. or even younger.

I just have a sense that William may have wanted to go with dad to run errands that morning, was told that he couldn't go, so was allowed to play out front so he could watch and wait for dad to return.

I agree with what you point out and just wanted to add that my youngest would have followed older sib into the house at that age if older one needed a potty break....wouldn't have wanted to be alone at 3....IME...that was bugging me actually that he didn't follow her into the house.....

I have a nearly 3 year old boy and even though he is very cheeky and loves to run off he always does it as a joke and turns around to see if I'm coming after him. If I don't he comes back or stands still. He's quite wary of unfamiliar territory. That's despite being very adventurous in spirit. His older sister was just the same, she was a runner, very active, but would never have just kept going if she didn't know someone was with her. Small children like to know their people are close by - in my experience anyway.
Also I grew up in a semi-rural area like Kendall. I was told where I was allowed to play and even at 3 and 4 I know that I never deviated from the allowed areas (not near the road or the drain or in the bush down the back).
First post. .. I've been lurking, figured I should register.

I have a nearly 3 year old boy and even though he is very cheeky and loves to run off he always does it as a joke and turns around to see if I'm coming after him. If I don't he comes back or stands still. He's quite wary of unfamiliar territory. That's despite being very adventurous in spirit. His older sister was just the same, she was a runner, very active, but would never have just kept going if she didn't know someone was with her. Small children like to know their people are close by - in my experience anyway.
Also I grew up in a semi-rural area like Kendall. I was told where I was allowed to play and even at 3 and 4 I know that I never deviated from the allowed areas (not near the road or the drain or in the bush down the back).
First post. .. I've been lurking, figured I should register.

:welcome:

yes....my experience is that they need to be able to see someone they trust...at all times at that age....they do not like being isolated at all.

I agree with what you point out and just wanted to add that my youngest would have followed older sib into the house at that age if older one needed a potty break....wouldn't have wanted to be alone at 3....IME...that was bugging me actually that he didn't follow her into the house.....

I almost wonder if William was quietly lured while his sister was outside with him, back turned, doing her own thing, then she wandered inside, not seeing William around and perhaps thinking he went in, and went to the loo. Since then she may just be confused, not knowing where William was when she went in. If her mum and grandma said he wasn't inside then he must have been outside, in her mind.

We have no way of knowing if the kids had made friends (in past) in that area and whether or not those kids may have been out playing that day......that would be an attraction if wee lad saw buddy in distance and wanted to join up...but there is NO evidence of that....at 10:30 a.m. Most of the ''big kids'' would be in school wouldn't they? Is it possible teens were writing exams at that time and some may have been in neighborhood due to half days?

Not exam time of year .. that tends to be November for the oldest kids. Younger high school kids don't have exams. I don't know if NSW has mid-year exams still for the oldest kids (most states don't) but they would be earlier than September.

We still have our fair share of kids that wag/skip school though.

The 16 year old girl killed at Kogarah (Sydney) a few days ago while waiting at a bus stop to go home at about 10.30 am was leaving school early because she'd done a Preliminary (year 11) exam that day. So it's possible. If he'd seen someone he knew wouldn't they also have seen him? Ie if he'd seen them and run over to them

IF the kids were chasing each other and running around trying to hide from each other .... perhaps WT was lured by someone saying here, hide here. ......

The 16 year old girl killed at Kogarah a few days ago while waiting at a bus stop to go home at about 10.30 am was leaving school early because she'd done a Preliminary (year 11) exam that day. So it's possible. If he'd seen someone he knew wouldn't they also have seen him?

Thanks. I guess every state (or school) can be a bit different.

Hope its ok to say that KT's facebook page is back

I was trying to work out is she the bio Mum or Mum he lives with??

the thought that it could be a neighbour who has been involved in the search is sickening. But the police seem very sure the local area and local homes have been thoroughly searched. Such a frustrating case!

eta I think KT is biomum.

They invented those strap, leish things for little kids who liked to run off :/ many kids with mild autism and adhd have no fear of anything. Not saying william has either of those but some kids at that age who do will just either walk or run off. On a site I go on for my sons issues some call their kids runners meaning they will just take off from anywhere at any time :S I guess if it is out of character for him then it's not really possible but anyway just thinking out loud :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth