NY NY - Dawn Svocak, 20, murdered, Plattsburgh, 17 August 1984

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
X9u5UWF.jpg

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news/local_news/article_ac7a5e72-456e-5099-8ca1-3c3c1d0e727c.html

Dawn Andrea Svocak, 20, was reported missing to Plattsburgh City Police on Aug. 17, 1984, by her domestic partner after she didn't return to her 71 Clinton St. apartment in the City of Plattsburgh.

The night before her disappearance, Svocak, a sophomore art major at SUNY Plattsburgh, went to work at Blair's bar on Marion Street in the City of Plattsburgh. She was last seen leaving the bar about 2:30 a.m. Aug. 17... A boot Svocak was wearing the night she went missing was found four days later in an alley off Clinton Street, less than a block from Blair's...

On Sept. 21, 1984, two farmers were cutting corn in a field at the intersection of Route 9 and Stafford Road in the Town of Beekmantown when they found Svocak's body. An autopsy revealed the cause of death to be a brain injury from blunt-force impact to the head, and Svocak's death was ruled a homicide.

her dp left the bar at 1 am, Dawn remained presumably finishing her shift at 230am......did she leave alone or with someone, who left just before she did and who left just after Dawn......was the bar crowded at that time?? I know "last call" is 4am in NY--might be different back then----she was wearing boots in August???????
would she have walked home, taken a cab or driven??? what route would be taken.

^Actually, 'last call' for Clinton County, where Plattsburgh is located, is presently 2am. However, I don't know what it would have been back in 1984.

I remember when this happened...it was horrific for the community. Much as the Colin Gillis case 'gone missing'.

I have not a doubt some know exactly what happened and who is responsible. In both cases.

http://www.wptz.com/news/investigat...-in-coldcase-homicide-of-dawn-svocak/40081568

For the first time, investigators revealed they now believe someone planted evidence in the days following Svocak’s disappearance. “We suspect some of the evidence was planted to throw off authorities in the search for her,” LaFountain said...

Police said an ex-girlfriend of Svocak’s first reported her missing and that her partner at the time, with whom she shared a Clinton Street apartment, reported her missing again several hours later.

Investigators said they believe tension between police and possible witnesses might have stopped some individuals from sharing what they knew with officers.

Was watching a show on Nfx about the true story of an unknown serial killer (and his wife was a participant). The episode is called “SH”. The daughter is telling this story and out of intrigue I started to google, getting backlash that the stories is false one of the executive producers (Brett Patrick-Jenkins) said in defense there was an open investigation and went on Twitter to defend and posted a news link to this woman who is missing and an autobiography called “AG” .. so I buy the book on Amazon, in one of the chapters is the description of this missing woman to include the red boot, has anyone else come across this ? Anything is possible but if this story is true what is taking authorities so long to corroborate any of what was written in this book? Quite disturbing that the family, if true, has kept silent this long citing they waited till everyone was old enough to deal with the story.. what about the families? Smh

Momofall. I’m confused by what you’ve written. So there is an episode that you think is similar to Dawn? can you dm me a link to the amazon book?

her dp left the bar at 1 am, Dawn remained presumably finishing her shift at 230am......did she leave alone or with someone, who left just before she did and who left just after Dawn......was the bar crowded at that time?? I know "last call" is 4am in NY--might be different back then----she was wearing boots in August???????
would she have walked home, taken a cab or driven??? what route would be taken.

Her apartment would have been walking distance from the bar. Downtown is really small. Where her body was found is quite a distance away. She must have been driven there and dumped.

“The missing persons case was an active investigation for some time,” said Plattsburgh City Police Detective, Jarrod Trombley. “Several weeks and months of conversations occurred, and it wasn’t until September of the same year that her remains were found outside of the City of Plattsburgh, which sparked the request for assistance from the state police.”

Just days after the missing persons report was filed a few items were located nearby where she was last seen. “More specifically a boot that was believed to be hers and later identified confirming that it was her’s,” Trombley said.

Police say they believe the items were planted. They also found a knife and a part of a belt.

Investigators continue to look for answers or leads that could help solve the case, said Jennifer Fleishman, Troop B New York State Police public information officer.

“We really want to bring closure to the family,” Fleishman said. “Ultimately she was somebody’s sister, niece, daughter, and I think bringing closure to the family would be huge.”

If you have any information regarding the case please contact the City of Plattsburgh Police Department and or the New York State Police.
Mystery in the Mountains: The murder of Dawn Svocak | Local 22/44 News

Was watching the Netflix series Haunted from the beginning then I came across episode 2 of season one. It covered the case of two little girls who were terrorized by their father who was a serial killer who is claimed to have picked up hitchhikers and homeless people up in the 70s/80s from what I could gather and bring them to his house and murder them. The mother was an accomplice to the crimes.

to cut a long story short the mother ended up smothering the father with a pillow on his death bed and the grandson ended up inheriting the house which is situated in upstate new york. the grandson finds all his grandfather's trophies of his ill-gotten gains and throws them out instead of turning them in to police.

Netflix swears that all stories in the series are true and actually did happen but I could find no evidence besides this Investigators release new information in cold-case homicide of Dawn Svocak To my knowledge there's no active investigation currently going into these claims. Does anyone else know anything else about this and whats everyone's opinion ???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back