ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Thomas "Tom" Gregory Bearson
thomasbearson.jpg

NDSU student from Sartell is missing
FARGO, N.D. –
North Dakota State University officials are asking for the public's help in finding Thomas "Tom" Gregory Bearson, who is from Sartell. Bearson, a first-year student, was last seen Saturday morning, according to a post on the university's website. It appears his cellphone is not working. If you have seen Bearson, call NDSU police at 701-231-8998 or text 701-526-6006. Bearson received coverage in the St. Cloud Times for his high school sports career. A profile of him that appeared in February's Times highlighted his role as a senior guard on the Sartell boys basketball team. At that time, Bearson had recently scored 16 points in one game, including his 1,000th career point, to help Sartell win over St. Michael-Albertville. He told the Times then that if he chose to go to North Dakota State he would major in pharmaceuticals.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/local/2014/09/21/ndsu-student-sartell-missing/16030443/

4796264_G.jpg

A North Dakota State University student has been missing since early yesterday morning.

Tommy Bearson was last seen leaving a party around 3:00 a.m. He was supposed to meet his parents and never showed up.

Tonight, NDSU's Vice President For Student Affairs asked for your help in finding Bearson

"At this point it's really early. And, again, he's a first year student and we need help and we need to get the word out. We need help. Again, asking people to keep an eye out," Alvarez said.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26589710/ndsu-needs-your-help-in-locating-a-missing-student

Thomas "Tom" Bearson of Sartell, Minnesota, was last seen Saturday morning, according to a post on the university's website. He is a first year student and lives on campus in Reed Hall, according to university officials.

NDSU Vice President of Student Affairs, Tim Alvarez said it appears Bearson's cellphone is no longer working.

At this point it's unclear if Bearson's disappearance is suspicious. Police in the area are following up on all leads in the case.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S3567941.shtml

I'm from Fargo, where NDSU is located. The town is incredibly safe - there's nowhere I'd feel nervous about walking alone, and I'm a 20something woman. There have been a few cases of college-aged men ending up in the Red River, which is not too far from the NDSU campus. These incidents have ended up being related to extreme intoxication. In one incident, the man who disappeared had done a "power hour": 21 shots of liquor in the first hour of being 21. The bar in question has been shut down. The thing that's giving me pause here is that most of these incidents occurred during the winter, when Fargo experiences EXTREME cold. Often, exposure was a factor. Temperatures are still mild there right now though so he couldn't have tried to cross the river on the ice or passed out somewhere and frozen.

The neighborhood around NDSU is mostly college type rental houses. There are a handful of bars and such but by and large you need to head downtown for any sort of nightlife.

I will say that the Fargo/Moorhead metro area is home to three universities but it has NEVER felt like a "college town". The schools are pretty separate from the town.

Just for the record: He's a student at North Dakota State U, which is in Fargo ND, but he is a resident of Sartell, MN. Sorry I have nothing more to add at this time.

http://www.wday.com/content/breaking-news-ndsu-searches-missing-student

Tom Bearson was last seen at a party early Saturday morning... his parents say he was having trouble keeping his cell phone charged.

http://www.wday.com/content/ndsu-asking-publics-help-finding-missing-student-tom-bearson

Social media pages connected to Bearson were active in the very early morning hours of Saturday before his disappearance. With a twitter reply from what appears to be Bearson's Twitter account, saying "we are so lost and we are going to die, just get somebody"

Yes, Sartell is in MN. I am guessing he is missing from Fargo, ND?

Hmm, dunno... there are three with the same J name on Tom's FB friends list.

I am trying to figure out the timeline. The tweet saying he was lost and going to die was at 11:23 pm Sept 19th. But wasn't it said he left the party at 3 am? I am confused. Are the time stamps on the tweets CST?

Ok, I think I just answered my own question. If you look at the tweet and go to the profile of the one he was writing to, that person says Tom was at his house after that tweet. Not sure why he tweeted he was lost and going to die if later he went to this other guys house. ??

I'm from Fargo, where NDSU is located. The town is incredibly safe - there's nowhere I'd feel nervous about walking alone, and I'm a 20something woman. There have been a few cases of college-aged men ending up in the Red River, which is not too far from the NDSU campus. These incidents have ended up being related to extreme intoxication. In one incident, the man who disappeared had done a "power hour": 21 shots of liquor in the first hour of being 21. The bar in question has been shut down. The thing that's giving me pause here is that most of these incidents occurred during the winter, when Fargo experiences EXTREME cold. Often, exposure was a factor. Temperatures are still mild there right now though so he couldn't have tried to cross the river on the ice or passed out somewhere and frozen.

The neighborhood around NDSU is mostly college type rental houses. There are a handful of bars and such but by and large you need to head downtown for any sort of nightlife.

I will say that the Fargo/Moorhead metro area is home to three universities but it has NEVER felt like a "college town". The schools are pretty separate from the town.

Andrew Sadek comes to mind. (However his cause of death was most likely self-inflicted gunshot to the head. His backpack was weighted with rocks and he was found in the Red River.) Whenever there is alcohol and a missing person, water comes to my mind first. Not liking all that water near the campus. He could have stumbled into the river, passed out or couldn't find his way out and drowned. If at 11:23 he was intoxicated to the point of not knowing where he was and saying he was going to die, and after that he then went to a party and stayed until 3am, he must have been in bad shape by that time.

I thought of Andrew Sadek too. There were, unfortunately, other young men before him who did not make the media.

North Dakota has an EXTREMELY high rate of underage and binge drinking. It often ranks in the top 2-3 states for rates of binge drinking among both men and women. When I left the state to attend university, I was absolutely shocked at what counted as a night of "heavy drinking" elsewhere. The drinking culture in ND is pretty unbelievable and borders on the "you gotta see it to believe it".

They need to get on that river and start looking. Moorhead State University is just across the river and a little south of NDSU.

09/23/05: Patrick Kycia, 19, Moorhead, MN

He went missing in September, 2005. Found in the river under the same circumstances.

September.

These cases follow a pattern.

This certainly adds to the mystery.

The young man who tweeted that Tom was at his house, can be considered a reliable source.

What adds to this is the tight lipped stance the police are taking on this issue. So far very little information has been released. Almost as if they are already investigating this as a crime rather than a missing person.

VERY ODD.

The weather in that area is very survivable at this point...unless...he's in the river.

They need to look in the river.

(Magnum where are you when I need you on a case like this hmmm? come out of the dog house and get involved in this one).

Dear Helpful;
Compared to Portland, Oregon I'm sure the Fargo/Moorhead area seems like a daycare center. Please take it from this old woman and don't get too comfortable there walking around. Some notorious evil has come out of that town, but I refuse to post his name.
Also the fact that it does feel so small town is what makes it a perfect hunting ground, as well as the perfect escape routes are there with I29 and I94.

Don't be too quick to write off those river drownings as just some intoxicated teens. I've been researching these river drowning for ten years now and they follow a pattern.

Patrick Kycia was a Moorhead State student who went missing nearly exactly to the day Tom Bearson went missing, and was found in the Red River. Under odd circumstances in the month of September.

It's September now.

Please, please remember that you can have trouble anywhere you go, even in a small town like Fargo. Be aware of your surroundings. Take care.

Don't be too quick to write off those river drownings as just some intoxicated teens. I've been researching these river drowning for ten years now and they follow a pattern.

Patrick Kycia was a Moorhead State student who went missing nearly exactly to the day Tom Bearson went missing, and was found in the Red River. Under odd circumstances in the month of September.

It's September now.

Please, please remember that you can have trouble anywhere you go, even in a small town like Fargo. Be aware of your surroundings. Take care.

I have been a lurker for a bit. I also felt the same way about these strange disappearances in early fall usually involving young men near water and have read up quite a bit on them.

I took some steps to have the city information corrected in the post title as to not send fellow sleuthers down the wrong path.

I looked at the twitter posts and found them odd personally. However it could also be a matter of friends asking him if he knows where Tom is and he has no idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker