TN: Former NFL player Rob Bironas killed in car crash near his Nashville home

zwiebel

Reaction score
'Former Tennessee Titans kicker Rob Bironas was killed in a car crash near his Nashville home Saturday night, it's been announced.

'Metro Nashville Police said Bironas, 36, lost control on a curve in his 2009 GMC Yukon Denali and crashed after 11 p.m. less than a mile from home. Police said in a statement on the department website that his SUV was speeding when it went off the road and hit a line of trees before coming to a stop upside down in a culvert.'

'Bironas married Rachel Bradshaw, daughter of Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw, in June. Police spokesman Don Aaron said a police chaplain was with her after the crash.'

'Bironas was the fourth most-accurate kicker in NFL history, connecting on 85.7 percent of his kicks (239 of 279). He finished as the Titans' second all-time leading scorer with 1,032 points, and he set a franchise record scoring triple digits in seven straight seasons.'

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/former-nfl-player-rob-bironas-killed-in-car-crash

Any theories on what happened? I have seen Ambian or a jealous rage mentioned. Who calls the police after someone leaves the house for 45 minutes? There must be more to the story that the wife is not saying.

I just read this article--http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2014/09/23/students-say-rob-bironas-chased-threatened/16096649/

Very strange. My condolences to his wife and family.

I'm waffling between him losing control of the vehicle due to rage or possibly suicide. I hope it's possible to have his brain autopsied and family allows it. I have a feeling he'll turn out to be another CTE case (chronic traumatic encephalopathy). I couldn't find any history of failed drug tests, so we have no clue there.

I think it is rare for a kicker to have head injuries during play.

It concerns me that he made contact with 2 different drivers that night and both describe his rage. He was at one time one of the most accurate kickers in the NFL, recently release by the Titans. This is not adding up.

I think it is rare for a kicker to have head injuries during play.

Here is my theory. He was depressed because he was released from the Titans in March. He tried out for the Lions recently but apparently didn't make the team. He comes home and his wife has a girl friend over. He is angry and takes off. (I could elaborate about family ties to a professional athlete but I won't. I will just say that they are use to fame and fortune and when it is gone narcissistic traits become very apparent.)

Kickers are protected and I agree, few have concussions. His wife called at 11:40pm. She said he left 2 hours before that but then it was reported he came home at 10:30pm and left right away. She may have said 2 hours because she thought the longer he is missing the more likely police will do something. She gave her name as RBradshaw, not RBironas. Wondering if she thought Bradshaw might get someone over their quicker. Somehow she knew something was wrong. Red flags for sure.

So much negative publicity in the NFL as of late. Sad.

Here is my theory. He was depressed because he was released from the Titans in March. He tried out for the Lions recently but apparently didn't make the team. He comes home and his wife has a girl friend over. He is angry and takes off. (I could elaborate about family ties to a professional athlete but I won't. I will just say that they are use to fame and fortune and when it is gone narcissistic traits become very apparent.)

Kickers are protected and I agree, few have concussions. His wife called at 11:40pm. She said he left 2 hours before that but then it was reported he came home at 10:30pm and left right away. She may have said 2 hours because she thought the longer he is missing the more likely police will do something. She gave her name as RBradshaw, not RBironas. Wondering if she thought Bradshaw might get someone over their quicker. Somehow she knew something was wrong. Red flags for sure.

So much negative publicity in the NFL as of late. Sad.

I've heard it said sarcastically many times that NFL = Not For Long

This is perplexing to me. The reports coming in are conflicting sans the 2 separate cars that he was taunting. I am truly confused.

Ambien & alcohol is a theory...

Wife called LE so quickly. Seems she is leaving something out...of timeline....or the backstory.
JMO

According to The Tennessean, Rachel Bradshaw called police at 11:40 p.m. Saturday to report that her husband was missing, telling them she had last spoken to him two hours earlier, around 9:40 p.m. She told police they were watching a movie when he just got up, left and drove away. That information contradicts what was recorded in the missing person report Bradshaw filed, as police said she told an officer she and Bironas were at home watching a movie that night with a friend and he told her he was going to bed at 10:30 p.m.

http://nesn.com/2014/09/rob-bironas-wifes-911-call-conflicts-with-early-reports-audio/

I think there is a lot more to this story than is out right now.

"Bironas went through several sports agents earlier in his career and was known for having a bit of an edge to his personality."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eath-police-investigation-tennessee/16164565/

He tried out for the Lions and was to hear back this week. It doesn't make sense that he was risking his life and others like that if he had the opportunity to get back into the NFL so soon. The kicker the Lions picked was notified Monday less than 2 days after Bironas's accident.

Why would she call 911 if he was missing for 2hrs & had no hx of mental or medical issues according to the call. Even the dispatcher tried to get to the bottom of it to no avail.
She seems somewhat distraught at the beginning of the call but not as much towards the end.

Something is not adding up to me....???

Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker