JonBenet the extraordinary child

Shanny

Reaction score
I am wondering was JonBenet the smart and extraordinary child everyone made her out to be.

Every time someone describes JonBenet ( her parents, friends, neighbors, media, news, teachers, family members) they describe her as someone who was wise, mature beyond her years, a gift to the world and an Earth Angel.

The Ramsey's Landscaper remember how intelligent JonBenet was, "That's why I never talked to her as if she were just a little kid. I spoke to her pretty much as I would to an adult"

The Landscaper said she asked him questions like:
"Do roses know their thorns can hurt?"
"What is a year?"
He answered

"That's the length of time it takes for the earth to make one trip all around the sun."
"So I've been around the sun five times?"

Patsy said she did her pageants, did in line skating, arts and crafts, took violin lessons, piano lessons, next year she planned on taking rock climbing lessons.

Remember she was only 6 years old.

When Jonbenet was in church, Patsy describe her as a spiritual person, a person who understood God, she once ask Patsy " Mommy, how much do you love me?" Patsy answered " I love you Daddy and Burke more than anything in the world" JonBenet shook her head and said " No, you're not suppose to love anyone more than Jesus."

Aunt Pam said once when Jonbenet was running around with no shoes she asked her "Jonbenet why don't you have any shoes on?" Jonbenet replied " Aunt Pam I wanna feel the earth under my feet."

People who knew her described her as a gift to the world
"JonBenet never seemed to whine or want attention like other children, when she was around adults she listened and even joined in the conversations with the adults. "
But Linda Hoffman-Pugh the House-Keeper described JonBenet as a different person, she spent half of her time picking up after her when she made messes. "She and her brother would just leave everything on the floor; their socks, shoes, toys, books, just everything.

They were never trained to put things away properly."

Linda-Hoffman had said JonBenet sometimes
acted mean to her, to her it always seemed like JonBenet was upset about something,

One day when she was trying to help JonBenet put on her boots to get
ready to go JonBenet said to her " Just go away and leave me alone!"

Linda said Every time someone would knock on the door JonBenet would race to the door to open the door telling her " No, don't you answer the door, I'm answering the door."

sorry I made the last post to big

I am wondering was JonBenet the smart and extraordinary child everyone made her out to be.
Every time someone describes JonBenet ( her parents, friends, neighbors, media, news, teachers, family members) they describe her as someone who was wise, mature beyond her years, a gift to the world and an Earth Angel.

The Ramsey's Landscaper remember how intelligent JonBenet was,

"That's why I never talked to her as if she were just a little kid. I spoke to her pretty much as I would to an adult"

The Landscaper said she asked him questions like:

"Do roses know their thorns can hurt?"
"What is a year?"
He answered

"That's the length of time it takes for the earth to make one trip all around the sun."
"So I've been around the sun five times?"

Patsy said she did her pageants, did in line skating, arts and crafts, took violin lessons, piano lessons,
next year she planned on taking rock climbing lessons.
Remember she was only 6 years old.

When Jonbenet was in church, Patsy describe her as a spiritual person, a person who understood God, she once ask Patsy " Mommy, how much do you love me?" Patsy answered " I love you Daddy and Burke more than anything in the world" JonBenet shook her head and said " No, you're not suppose to love anyone more than Jesus."

Aunt Pam said once when Jonbenet was running around with no shoes she asked her "Jonbenet why don't you have any shoes on?"
Jonbenet replied " Aunt Pam I wanna feel the earth under my feet."
People who knew her described her as a gift to the world

"JonBenet never seemed to whine or want attention like other children, when she was around adults she listened and even joined in the conversations with the adults. "

But Linda Hoffman-Pugh the House-Keeper described JonBenet as a different person, she spent half of her time picking up after her when she made messes. "She and her brother would just leave everything on the floor; their socks, shoes, toys, books, just everything. "They were never trained to put things away properly."

Linda-Hoffman had said JonBenet sometimes
acted mean to her, to her it always seemed like JonBenet was upset about something,

One day when she was trying to help JonBenet put on her boots to get
ready to go JonBenet said to her " Just go away and leave me alone!"

Linda said every time someone would knock on the door JonBenet would race to the door to open the door telling her " No, don't you answer the door, I'm answering the door."

Could you post a source for your LHP quotes so we can read them in context?

Added: found your source.

Perhaps JonBenet wanted to master her boots herself.

Linda did not say "every time someone would knock on the door JonBenet would race to the door to open the door telling her " No, don't you answer the door, I'm answering the door."

What she said according to Schiller was during a luncheon Patsy was giving, JonBenet would say " No, don't you answer the door, I'm answering the door." Sounds to me like Patsy had given JonBenet the job of answering the door and JonBenet took her job seriously.

She also says JonBenet loved being in pageants and watching Shirley Temple movies. The bedwetting was no big deal to Patsy. Evenings were for the family. They did homework and ate together. Patsy worked on school projects with the kids. She read to them at bedtime.

And LHP said "They weren't naughty children."

I've read similar quotes assigned to LHP, and think now , as I thought then, that the child may have "reacted" to her. Don't we all have kids that have reacted to someone poorly, where we mistakenly try to "sweeten" it up with a nudge or a whispered, "this isn't like you, behave yourself". Kids are like puppies, going on instinct, they know what is different, what is harsh, what is not what they are use to. Often this results in them not wanting to be in a situation or around a certain person. Time has taught me, they are often right.

some of these "JBR quotes" strike me as being overly sentimental & dubious ;) i don't buy it when someone says that a 6 year old is "wise beyond her years".

sissi said:
I've read similar quotes assigned to LHP, and think now , as I thought then, that the child may have "reacted" to her. Don't we all have kids that have reacted to someone poorly, where we mistakenly try to "sweeten" it up with a nudge or a whispered, "this isn't like you, behave yourself". Kids are like puppies, going on instinct, they know what is different, what is harsh, what is not what they are use to. Often this results in them not wanting to be in a situation or around a certain person. Time has taught me, they are often right.
I read similar quotes too but I can't remember the whole statements. I have also seen LHP stand on the steps of the courthouse when she and Darnay had their grand jury secrecy lawsuit and complain because she had had to give handwriting samples and Patsy hadn't given any so I take everything she says with a large grain of salt. At first she couldn't say enough nice things about the Ramseys but then she discovered it paid to bad mouth them and her tune changed dramatically. I think she is neither honest nor reliable.

It sounds like JonBenet was a smart little girl,who had her good days and bad days,just like any other child.

I doubt JBR was any different from other children,when somebody dies we tend to remember them through rose coloured glasses.I have read good things and bad things about her behaviour,she lived in a wealthy household,with everything she could wish for.With Patsy as a role model Im sure little Jonnie B could have been real pain at times.

Not to mention that the ages of 5 and 6 are typically "nice" ages, developmentally.

Those were my favorite ages with my kids. So sweet, loving, funny and helpful...
(Lord, what a difference 10 years makes!!!)
:innocent:

dingo said:
[...]With Patsy as a role model Im sure little Jonnie B could have been real pain at times.
From Steve Thomas:
Q. You talk about in your book that JonBenet was an incredible little kid, right? A. Are we on the last page?
Q. I think it's -- it's page 353 of your hardback?
A. Right.
Q. You talk about something that sounds a little bit like something I read in Perfect Murder, Perfect Town about the sun and the rhythm of the earth beneath her feet. "She was an incredible little girl who loved to be tickled. Ms. America was the least she could have been." Am I reading that correctly?
A. Yes.
Q. Do you give her parents any credit for that in terms of bringing her up for those six years?
A. Certainly.

Sadly we,ll never know what influences Patsey would have had in JBRs teenage and adult years.Its also sad that while JBR was alive she had to indure an over powering mother,who seemed only concerned about material things.

You mean material things like going to church, having the family eat dinner together, assisting with homework, family vacations, helping out at your child's school, reading to kids in bed?

capps said:
It sounds like JonBenet was a smart little girl,who had her good days and bad days,just like any other child.
Well all I am saying is I know when people die there is always something nice to say about them after their death, but the way people describe JonBenet it's like she was out of this world. To me it seems like the people who knew she died went a bit to the extreme to describe the type of persone she was.
I am sure if was Burke who had gotten murdered no one would describe him the same way they describe JonBenet.

Tagging on
Well JonBenet and Burke were very different. He seems quite introverted whereas JonBenet seemed quite extroverted. I dont know Guru if JonBenet actually was wise beyond her years, but you know I have met some 6 yr olds that I can honestly say that about.
I think she was a very capable 6 year old who was very naturally pretty. It wasnt her fault she was known to be bratty, spoilt kids often are and those two kids were very over indulged.
JonBenet could even do the hula hoop, something I havent mastered yet!

No, I mean parading her daughter around in pagents,showing off her mansion to thousands of people and generally flaunting everything she owned.Of course they ate meals,maybe she did help the kids with their homework,so what.Its just a shame poor Patsey couldnt help JBR when she really needed it, like after her murder.That woman cant even remember bathing 'that child' , she didnt even know what JBR had eaten leading up to her murder.IMO the posters here are more concerned about that little girl than her own will ever be.

Exactly right Dingo.
Patsy was all about showing off and JonBenet was her favourite thing to show off. I cant really blame Patsy for that, JonBenet was so cute, it's only right for a mother to feel proud. I cant even blame Patsy for putting her into pagaents, alot of little girls do like to dress up and sing and dance ,alot of times we do want our kids to follow in our footsteps ( not me personally, Id die if my son followed in my foot steps).
The problem is Patsy took everything too far, trying to be one better. I think Nedra was the one who insisted JonBenet do the pageant thing, just like her daughters did. They had no choice. How scary having Nedra for a grandmother!! Look at the photo's of Nedra and Jonbenet....some of them are downright creepy.

dingo said:
showing off her mansion to thousands of people.
That's something I alway wondered about, Patsy let thousand of people in to her house and gave away keys to her house.
So anyone could just walk into her house at any time ?
An intruder probably did kill JonBenet, if Patsy gave keys to everyone, one of those key probably got in to the hands of the wrong person.

Shanny said:
That's something I alway wondered about, Patsy let thousand of people in to her house and gave away keys to her house.
So anyone could just walk into her house at any time ?
An intruder probably did kill JonBenet, if Patsy gave keys to everyone, one of those key probably got in to the hands of the wrong person.
People open their homes to the public all the time. Every town we've lived in has had a historic homes/decorator showhouse type tour annually. Our house back east was on one of those tours for the previous owners. We didn't participate because of the security issues but I think Patsy tended to live in her own rose-coloured world and it never occured to her that handing out keys and opening her home to strangers wasn't a good idea.

tipper said:
People open their homes to the public all the time. Every town we've lived in has had a historic homes/decorator showhouse type tour annually. Our house back east was on one of those tours for the previous owners. We didn't participate because of the security issues but I think Patsy tended to live in her own rose-coloured world and it never occured to her that handing out keys and opening her home to strangers wasn't a good idea.

I agree Tipper,

Ramsey's are "go getters",and to get there,you have to play the game of having a gorgeous house,social gracies,lots of entertaining etc. I personally know people like that. They are basically good people,who love their God and children. They just have a different life style.

I have to admit though,Patsy handing out keys to everyone was a big mistake. BIG mistake.And she will now have to pay for that mistake for the rest of her life.

narlacat said:
The problem is Patsy took everything too far, trying to be one better. I think Nedra was the one who insisted JonBenet do the pageant thing, just like her daughters did. They had no choice. How scary having Nedra for a grandmother!! Look at the photo's of Nedra and Jonbenet....some of them are downright creepy.
Someone post on another JonBenet board that Nedra told Pam and Patsy from the time they were little that it was their JOB to do pageants and Patsy was teaching the same thing to JonBenet.
Also I know what you mean I've seen pictures of Nedra and the Ramsey family and they are creepy!

In these 2 pictures, they look like still dolls:
http://www.jonbenet-ramsey.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=43&=4

http://www.jonbenet-ramsey.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=43&=5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member