CO - "The school board is insane. You can’t erase our history...."

ARVADA, Colo. — A new conservative school board majority here in the Denver suburbs recently proposed a curriculum-review committee to promote patriotism, respect for authority and free enterprise and to guard against educational materials that “encourage or condone civil disorder.”

Like something out of an Orwell novel, isn't it. Absolutely terrifying, to anyone who values freedom.

<modsnip>

The thing that's so ridiculous is that if there hadn't been some people willing to defy authority, there'd be no United States today.

Amen to all posts above!

Towards the end of the school year when this board got voted in they immediately started harassing the superintendent which was Cindy Stevens. She ended up retiring early much to the displeasure of the community. The school board then stated they would run the schools until they found a suitable replacement. The main goal seemed to state that they wanted to privatize the school system. Now this new move is to also remove all violence in the world history AP classes and to only teach about inventions... anything that could be considered feel good history. So our assumption would be lets get rid of WWI and WWII... maybe even Einstein since he came up with the possibility of Nuclear bombs. This school board has been making news in the area since their inception.

Texas school bans seven 'obscene' books on banned books week (Guardian)

---
Objections were raised to Pulitzer winner David Shipler’s non-fiction title The Working Poor, because it includes a reference to a woman who was sexually abused as a child and had an abortion.
---
According to the local paper, more than 100 people attended a school board meeting about the books, where “parents and grandparents … read excerpts of sex scenes, references to homosexuality, a description of a girl’s abduction and a passage that criticised capitalism” and “sent hundreds of emails to district officials”.
---
the rest at the link, plus further links

deja vu? - I will certainly read the links posted here, but I swear they already voted on this and it did not pass.

And IMO if we can not discuss religion or politics in this thread, then there isn't much sense having it.

Anyway, it is very plain that this particular school board is NOT where the buck stops. Or where it starts, for that matter. The board are, however, getting all the flak - and I'm tempted to be happy about that. If it wasn't for the other factors (and factions) involved.

The little bit of research I've done has left me quite shocked and dismayed. But I believe the details regarding that are best expressed in the political section of the forum.

These guys are behind many of the current debacles, including the Colorado atrocity:

The Koch Brothers &#8211; Exposed! (Rolling Stone [2012])
&#8226; Charles and David Koch have poured $100 million into right-wing causes. A new film shows their impact on "living, breathing human beings"

Anyway, it is very plain that this particular school board is NOT where the buck stops. Or where it starts, for that matter. The board are, however, getting all the flak - and I'm tempted to be happy about that. If it wasn't for the other factors (and factions) involved.

The little bit of research I've done has left me quite shocked and dismayed. But I believe the details regarding that are best expressed in the political section of the forum.
I feel about it, at least in metaphor, as Churchill felt about fighting fascism:

We shall fight on the beaches; we shall fight on the landing grounds; we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender.

I've attempted to open a thread in Political Pavilion regarding the wider scope of this thread.... it's awaiting moderator approval..... IF it's approved, will post link..

More on Koch Bros., backers of nefarious school boards etc.:

Inside the Koch Brothers' Toxic Empire (Rolling Stone 9.24.14)

&#8226; Together, Charles and David Koch control one of the world's largest fortunes, which they are using to buy up our political system. But what they don't want you to know is how they made all that money

Colorado State Board of Ed member: ‘U.S. ended slavery voluntarily’ (coloradoindependent.com)

Colorado’s latest education official to condemn high school history course standards wonders why those who wrote the curriculum missed what seems to her an obvious point — that the United States voluntarily ended slavery.

Pam Mazanec, a Larkspur businesswoman who sits on Colorado’s Board of Education, posted on a Facebook discussion thread her concerns that questions asked on the Advanced Placement U.S. history test “portray the negative viewpoint as the correct answer.”
---
“Pam understands that a well-educated citizenry is vital to Colorado’s economic future and America’s national security,” according to her state bio.
---
the rest at link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie