RULES & THREADIQUETTE * **Important -- Please Read***

Status
Not open for further replies.

bessie

Verified Insider
Reaction score
The Basics:
* We do not sleuth people who have not been named by LE as suspects or POI's. Any exceptions must be approved through the mods/admin.
* We do not link to social networking pages of people who have not been named by LE as suspects/POI. The few exceptions are victims' pages, and LE and MSM community/group pages. Other exceptions must be mod-approved.

* We do not link to a social networking page unless we are 100% certain it belongs to the suspect/victim.

We never post the name of a private individual, minor or adult, who has not been named in the media. Even then, unless s/he's a major player, initials should be used in place of full names.

* We never sleuth another member, nor speculate about his/her identity.

* Questions about the rules or mod decisions should be addressed to a mod in a private message. DO NOT discuss them in the thread.

* If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not reply to it. Alert the post ASAP so a mod can handle the problem.

* If you quote a post which later is removed by a mod, your post is subject to removal, as well.

We are allowed to copy and paste up to ten percent (10%) of published written material. Mods will snip C&P's which exceed the 10% limit.

Quoted material must be accompanied by a link to the source. It's always preferable to link back to the original source.

The rule also applies to posted images.

Do not overlook this rule.

One more General Discussion thread to help those who are having a hard time adapting to the forum format.

Please be aware that this will be the last General Discussion thread in the Hannah Graham case.

Admin Note:

I've seen a several posts expressing distress over the loss of the General Discussion threads. Let me explain why.

Once a case is "hot" enough and there are enough angles to sleuth it needs to be placed in a Forum format. I realize members get anxious about the loss of the general discussion threads but there is absolutely nothing to fear. In fact, once folks get used to it, people like it much better. It's all about understanding why & how it works. :)

Forums consist of topical threads. The reason for this is because when you have a ton of good information it is literally impossible to search and find that info again in a huge amount of general discussion threads. Websleuths is a sleuthing website and we have some amazing sleuths. It is very important to be able to locate information via the search feature. That is where the "tags" also become important. Those of you concerned will be forever grateful for this shift the first time there is some breaking news and you say to yourself, "OH! I remember so&so posting a link about that. Where did I see it? If I could just find it, I could connect the dots!" Instead of doing this ---> :pullhair: :banghead:, you will be able to go to the appropriate topical thread(s) and do a quick search. Voila! There will be the info you are wanting to find. :loveyou:

Also, members can generate new topical threads for angles you guys may want to explore. At the moment, we have it set so a mod has to approve those new threads. IOW, we can see them and review first. That will change as soon as the mods can see that you guys have the hang of making the shift from General Discussion threads to Topical threads. There are a couple of tricks to generating new topical threads: 1) look around and make sure there is not a very similar thread. We don't want a bunch of "parallel" threads discussing the same things. 2) Keep the topic "tight". Vague topics don't work and they tend to twist, turn & wind down all kinds of trails.

Oh yeah, and this - once a case gets this complex with so many angles to explore and so many differing opinions - from experience we can tell y'all that General Discussion threads tend to turn into general rant threads. ;) 'tis true. And it isn't good for anybody because it leads to a lot more time outs.

Hope this helps! Any mod here will be more than happy to help you guys adjust. Just alert or PM one of us for more direction. We're here to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46