Dutchman makes amputated leg into lamp, lists it on eBay

zwiebel

Reaction score
'Dutch man Leo Bonten has fought for - and won - the right to take his amputated leg home from the hospital and turn it into a lamp stand.'

Now however, he is fighting for the right to sell his leg lamp. For €100,000 (about $130,000).

After a pool accident, Leo developed an intractable infection and this June, the leg had to be amputated. Leo wanted to take the leg home but that caused some debate as technically, amputated body parts become the property of the hospital. And there are strict rules about disposal.

'Bonten didn’t understand all the fuss. As he told Dutch publication NRC Reader: "My leg is my property. People keep their kidney stones in a jar on the mantelpieces. Ashes of deceased people are included in tattoos. I’m going to make a lamp of my leg." '

Along with the help of a pathologist and a lighting designer, all the legwork's now been done. But eBay's removed the auction from their listings as the sale of body part's isn't allowed. Now Leo is looking for another place to sell his very special lamp. He's hoping to buy a really good prosthetic leg with the proceeds.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/dutch-man-fights-right-turn-4314698#ixzz3EPlhTJm6

Photo Link: Hans Tenk (@HansTenk) tweeted at 10:50am - 30 Aug 14:

Tadaa! De #beenlamp is klaar RT "@ADnl: Leo Bonten heeft zijn geamputeerde rechterbeen terug ad.nl/ad/nl/1014/Biz… pic.twitter.com/7z1NgPoXoa" (https://twitter.com/HansTenk/status/505638595429146624)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 26
If Damien Hirst can sell dead sheep and sharks etc, I don't see why this man can't sell his own leg, personally. Especially as he needs the money to buy a good new one.

eBay won't let this man sell a lamp made from his severed leg (Daily Dot)

When Leo Bonten had to have his leg amputated due to a bacterial infection resulting from a broken bone, he did what any of us would have—asked the hospital to let him keep it so he could turn it into a floor lamp. After some tricky negotiations, they consented.

Seeking to ameliorate his financial distress, Bonten then put the curiosity—lovingly designed by forensic pathologist William Schaper Kotter—up for sale on eBay. The asking price? A cool €100,000 (about $128,000). “I would rather keep him, but I need the money,” Bonten told the Dutch media.
---

the rest of the tale, with pictures, at link above

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that lamp doesn't go with any decor.

Well, I don't find it a particularly appealing lamp myself, and it definitely wouldn't go with my home decor; plus if the dog knocked it over as he has done with every other lamp.....but I still hope Leo sells it. I think it's great he is facing this disability with such innovative spirit.

Probably. :)

That's good way of looking at it Z, just hope it doesn't catch on. I've got no problems with amputees but keeping the limbs, hmmm, a bit macabre for my taste. :p

No offense to Dutch people, but they're known for making weird stuff. There is a video on YouTube of a Dutch guy who stuffed his dead cat- taxidermy and turned it into a flying helicopter!!! No joke. http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2012/jun/05/catcopter-dutch-artist-amsterdam-video

Maybe this guy is thinking of the art deco lampshade legs I've seen in the past? https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRCGMF0NtQOfS4i5s0OT1wt1I5y63i_mfpc-fQqpwAERK3D1mdZfw

Or maybe he belonged to that Irish poitical group 'Shin Fein'.

I was expecting something more like this:

NC40080lg.jpg

It's beginning to grow on me, but I think it kneeds to be about a foot taller and pound in some toe nails so it'll stand on it's own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back